Booked cruise, but didn't do ES

Oshkosh

I'm wondering if you book ES and someone needs to cancel can you do a name change and find someone else to go in their place? and if you can what is the charge for that?

As a couple of people have found out ... no name changes. Carnival is sticking with the rules.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/earlysaver/specials.aspx?WT.mc_id=HEarlySaverSpecials

Early Saver: Cruise rates are in US dollars, per person, based on double occupancy, capacity controlled and subject to change at any time without prior notice. Government taxes and fees are additional for all guests. A non-refundable and non-transferable deposit is required at the time of booking for all guests to secure confirmed accommodations. Fares are backed by a unique price protection policy. Full names are required for each guest. Offer is valid for new bookings only and is not combinable with any other discounted or promotional offer. Available on sailings 3 months prior to sail date for short cruises (5 days or less) and available on sailings 5 months prior to sail date for long cruises (6 days or longer). Savings are based on Fun Select rates and vary by sailings. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. No name changes are allowed. A $50 service fee will be assessed per person for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to the final payment due date. Cancellation penalties apply. Request Early Saver. Ships' Registry: The Bahamas & Panama.

I booked 4 couples under ES for the Spirit in January. One couple in a 9A, one in an 8c and two in 4A. Since we booked in May, the 8C has dropped $300 and the 4A $60. So so far they are ahead of the game. One of the 4A's canceled and lost $100, but the rest of their deposit is good for any cruise in the next 12 months. All in all, I think the group of us turned out well. The 9A's are sold out, so probably no price reduction until after final payment.

We are all in a position where canceling or rescheduling is not a problem so would probably do ES again.

We booked ESR on the Valor. Paid the cruise off in full many months ago. Price reductions have come in numerous times. We now have a $200 on board credit awaiting us. That's our tips all paid for!

• 3 weeks later...
I looked at same ship / itinerary sailings at different dates - it looks like there are many suites left empty even on some dates that sail a month ( or less) before. And even with the cruise being past final payment, sailing in a month or two, the category 12s are listed at a higher price. Maybe they will drop the price again at some point, but I'm not sure. With my luck there could be a fantastic price drop on a day that was crazy busy for me at work, and I would not know or have time to deal with it. Just decided to make final payment & be done with it, $589 is a decent price even for this short of a cruise.

Perhaps they do not discount the suites even if sitting empty. Gives them an opportunity to upsell to them and make more money???????

Perhaps they do not discount the suites even if sitting empty. Gives them an opportunity to upsell to them and make more money???????

Must be that, or there is a price they don't want to drop below, at least yet. Suites still look hugely available and the price hasn't dropped so far.

I can see the upsells to make more $, but that will only leave more cabins open in a different category. Oh well!

I'm with you. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would put up with a non-refundable booking.

You can get the exact same fare-reduction policy without booking ES. Most reputable TAs will accept fare reduction requests. If your does not, find a new one.

P.S. as we come out of the recession, fares are going to trend upward over time. There will be fewer fare reductions than we have seen lately. I'm not going to make any ES bookings!

Unless you book ES you will not be able to take advantage of any price reductions after final payment is made. You may be able to receive an upgrade (free or paiD) if one is available.

I'm with you. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would put up with a non-refundable booking.

You can get the exact same fare-reduction policy without booking ES. Most reputable TAs will accept fare reduction requests. If your does not, find a new one.

P.S. as we come out of the recession, fares are going to trend upward over time. There will be fewer fare reductions than we have seen lately. I'm not going to make any ES bookings!

Dingo, I am with you on this one..

Not sure why anyone would book ES.....But oh well, if that is what one wants then guess that is the way to go...

Just not me....:eek:

The cruise I am looking at the ES rate is $140 cheaper per person (Nov 2010 sail date). If one person couldn't go I accept you can't make name changes but can I assume the other two can still go and the third person deposit is all that is lost? If so, the savings would still put us ahead if we couldn't reschedule.

There are a small group of us that booked 5 cabins under ES and we will never do it again. They have shown drops on higher categories for less money than we are paying for our lower categories, but becuase of the rules for ES we can't change. I was concerned about non-refundable deposit but felt price was so low we would all go for it, now I see we could have done better for cheaper. I'm sure it could be different for some, but for us it was not worth it.

Well, I guess I am not in my right mind LOL

I booked for 6 people under ES for my Dream cruise August 7, 2010 for my dd's Sweet 16.

At the time of booking, I saved over $1,200 booking ES. Now, even if one had to cancel in my group, I loose $250. For a savings of over $1,000, I was willing not to be in my right mind and go with the ES booking.

Guess my "right mind" must be missing, too.

I LOVE the ES rate - it has saved me quite a bit of money on the last 2 cruises...... I had so much OBC on my last cruise it totally covered my onboard account - plus...

I never book a cruise with the idea I might cancel for some reason. Only book what I know I want. For those unexpected things that can come up, I always purchase travel insurance.

No problem at all.

And, I always book direct.....

There are a small group of us that booked 5 cabins under ES and we will never do it again. They have shown drops on higher categories for less money than we are paying for our lower categories, but becuase of the rules for ES we can't change. I was concerned about non-refundable deposit but felt price was so low we would all go for it, now I see we could have done better for cheaper. I'm sure it could be different for some, but for us it was not worth it.

This makes no sense. If there are higher categories, going for less money, pick up the phone and ask for a upgrade to the price you paid. You can always upgrade, no fee, just cant downgrade. ... is it because you dont want to move?? I dont get why you dont upgrade if higher categories are now less.

Archived