Southwest "Bags to go"

jrobinso

Our first Caribbean cruise is coming up in 4 weeks. So, this will be our first trip to FLL. I have read about "Bags to go" and I checked out the Southwest web site and there is some information. However, I am still a bit confused on how it works. Do I pay ahead of time or will there be someone at Port Everglades that I pay, or do you do this while on board? Where do you meet the Southwest Rep?? Our Southwest Flight leaves at 2:10p.

Our first Caribbean cruise is coming up in 4 weeks. So, this will be our first trip to FLL. I have read about "Bags to go" and I checked out the Southwest web site and there is some information. However, I am still a bit confused on how it works. Do I pay ahead of time or will there be someone at Port Everglades that I pay, or do you do this while on board? Where do you meet the Southwest Rep?? Our Southwest Flight leaves at 2:10p.

I'd never heard of this so I googled it. Here is a link that might be helpful:

https://secure.baggagecheckin.com/cgi-local/press.cgi?new=26

And here is another:

http://www.baggagecheckin.com/public-baggage-storage.html

We have used this service in the past and found it to be very convenient.

Here is a thread I started with info about them:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1057580

You can either prepay for your services via the internet, or, there is a counter kiosk directly across from the first baggage carousel as you come down the escalator in the FLL airport in the Southwest Airlines terminal. The kiosk is only open certain hours of the day, so there may not be someone at the kiosk.

You can also pay for the service when you exit your cruise. When you come out of the FLL terminal, after clearing customs and immigration, look for the Bags to Go truck that will be parked there. You can check in, check your baggage, and pay the fee at the truck. This is what we did the last time we cruised from FLL, last November. Note that your departing flights have to be after a certain time, which is around noon.

We were pleased with the service, since the Southwest Airlines checkin lines on cruise departure days at FLL are a zoo. It was well worth the fee to avoid having to stand in the lines to check in luggage at the airport.

BTW, if you do not use this service and your flight is more than 4 hours later than the time you arrive at the airport with your luggage, you cannot check your luggage until the 4 hour point. This is a TSA rule that the airlines have to follow. If you cannot check your luggage, have a porter take you inside the terminal, and find a seat. Ask him to come back at the four hour point and they will come and get you and your luggage at the correct time.

If you have any more questions, ask here and I will try and answer them.

Hypo

You can either prepay for your services via the internet, or, there is a counter kiosk directly across from the first baggage carousel as you come down the escalator in the FLL airport in the Southwest Airlines terminal. The kiosk is only open certain hours of the day, so there may not be someone at the kiosk.

You can also pay for the service when you exit your cruise. When you come out of the FLL terminal, after clearing customs and immigration, look for the Bags to Go truck that will be parked there. You can check in, check your baggage, and pay the fee at the truck. This is what we did the last time we cruised from FLL, last November. Note that your departing flights have to be after a certain time, which is around noon.

If you have any more questions, ask here and I will try and answer them.

Hypo

If you prepay for the service on the internet, do you have to take your own luggage to the Bags to Go truck? I'm confused as to what happens to your luggage if you prepay.

Hypo, thanks so much for the information. I guess I have the same question as 1cruiselvr. If I prepay do I still claim my luggage and go through customs with it? Also, if I get to the "Bags to go" truck and it is 4 hours before my flight will they still take my luggage, or is the 4 hours only a problem for people who have not done the "bags to go"? I think I read somewhere that they give out information about this service on your cruise. We will be on Ruby Princess.

You will have to claim your bags, go through customs and then take them to the truck. This is also the way that it was handled when we used the cruise ship supplied bag program on two of the three times we have used it. On the other occasion, the bags were taken directly from our hallway to the airport, we did not see them until we got home.

I don't think that Customs allows this anymore, because they want to see you with your corresponding bags.

Hypo

Is Southwest bags to go available on the Zuiderdam or just on select ships?

Marcia

Its my understanding from the Bags To Go website that it is only certain airport/ports. It's not the ship that makes the difference. Happy Sailing!

Archived