Irons, hairdryers, towels - what do I need to bring? :)

Sparkle2009

Ok, my female side is about to surface - I'm travelling on the Mercury in less than three weeks (yay!) and as a first time cruiser would like to know what items I should bring with me.

Do the cabins have:

• Ironing facilities?
  • Hairdryers
  • Towels that can be used for sunbathing/swimming?

Any help greatly appreciated!

You are not allowed to bring an iron on board - it's a safety hazard. you can send items to the ship laundry for pressing, I understand it is quick and inexpensive. Cabins have hairdryers but they don't look very good to me; I have curly hair and need a defuser, so I am taking my own. Towels are provided for both pool and bathroom - you do not need to bring your own. You can even take your towel on shore with you, but I understand there are charges if you lose it.

...I'm travelling on the Mercury in less than three weeks (yay!)...quote]Sparkle2009

If you are sailing "in less than three weeks" I'm guessing you are on the 23 Oct Panama Canal cruise. If you haven't been there, we have an extremely active Roll Call for that cruise at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=849887&page=30 We have about 160(!) up for the Cruise Connection party. Join in.

Thom

Ok, my female side is about to surface - I'm travelling on the Mercury in less than three weeks (yay!) and as a first time cruiser would like to know what items I should bring with me.

Do the cabins have:

• Ironing facilities?
  • Hairdryers

It is a 5* cruise ship - none of the above needed. Irons are banned as firehazard.

It is a 5* cruise ship - none of the above needed. Irons are banned as firehazard.

The hairdryers are 2* especially if you have long hair. They get hotter than heck even with a towel wrapped around them (which is probably a fire hazard as well).

One note, we've never had problem's getting extra towels on day's MaryBeth decides/needs (after snorkelling for example) to wash her hair. That does cut down on how much blow drying she needs to do.

Keep in mind that you are likely to find one 115v outlet in the cabin, the rest are 220v. And you might blow out a breaker if you trying to use a 1500w mega blower (which will not only cause problems for you but also your neighbors). Get a 500w hair drier that runs either voltage and you'll be in great shape.

Do the cabins have:

• Ironing facilities?
  • Hairdryers

If you're in a concierge class or above cabin, there will be a perfectly good hairdryer in your cabin in addition to the not-so-good one in the bathroom. I don't carry hair dryers around any more--they're too heavy and take up too much room in the suitcase.

[*]Ironing facilities?

[*]Hairdryers

[*]Towels that can be used for sunbathing/swimming?

Bring none of those. Dry cleaning on board is cheaper than most hotels on land. Save yourself some trouble. They provide hair dryers. The male cat is short haired while the female cat is long haired. We are both satisfied. If you need towels, ask housekeeping. There is a 110 volt socket and a 220 volt socket.

If not in CC cabin or above, bring a hair dryer. I find it annoyingto use the one in bathrm - ties up bathroom, bathroom is humid, dryer not the fastest type, and often the type where you have to keep your finger on "on" button to use, AND dryer gets too hot to hold w/out towel.

Iron not permitted as it's fire hazard, although some do bring ( subject to confiscation if discovered)

My wife always brings her home 1500w dryer (no breakers broken) and uses it at the desk. My hair is short and dries in less than 5 minutes so I use the bathroom one, but it is not much more than a hot air hose, much like a vacuum cleaner hose. It's uncomfortable to hold both ergonomically as well as heat wise if you have to hold it for any length of time.

I won't go into my iron opinion, but saying that dry cleaning is less than most hotels on land isn't a real endorsement. Last time my wife needed a dress pressed (no cleaning) at a hotel was $16, but at least most hotels provide an iron and board.

My wife always brings her home 1500w dryer (no breakers broken) and uses it at the desk. My hair is short and dries in less than 5 minutes so I use the bathroom one, but it is not much more than a hot air hose, much like a vacuum cleaner hose. It's uncomfortable to hold both ergonomically as well as heat wise if you have to hold it for any length of time.

I won't go into my iron opinion, but saying that dry cleaning is less than most hotels on land isn't a real endorsement. Last time my wife needed a dress pressed (no cleaning) at a hotel was $16, but at least most hotels provide an iron and board.

I agree it is not an endorsement to say it is cheaper than hotels however I find their prices to be cheaper than what I would pay at home to have clothes done. For that reason, I don't bother having clothes cleanned and pressed prior to a cruise, I just give them to the steward on the first day and have them done.

Archived