No Iron- Wrinkled Clothes?

OK- No irons allowed- So does everyone send all of their clothes to be pressed- or just wear wrinkled clothes? What does it cost per item?

We set sail next SUNDAY on the FOS- Party Time!!!

THANKS

I send out dress shirts, blouses, and anything else that didn't travel well in the suitcase as soon as possible after we get our luggage the first night. It is usually back the following afternoon. I can't give RC's exact cost - but it's rather inexpensive. I sent out about 4 dress shirts, 2 blouses, and one dress on my last cruise (11/08) and the cost was $14. Wish I could find that deal at home!

Just make sure to send it out as early as possible!

The last time that I cruised (Explorer 2005), I had a small travel Iron that was not confiscated. It was collapsable, the water tank was detachable. Never had a problem. getting it on board, just used common sense and made sure it was unplugged and cool before I secured it away

Whenever we cruise, we send everything to be, "pressed only", the first day. Its half the cost of the dry cleaning charge. That way, we never have to worry about clothes getting wrinkled in the suitcases prior to arriving onboard. Enjoy your cruise!

The last time that I cruised (Explorer 2005), I had a small travel Iron that was not confiscated. It was collapsable, the water tank was detachable. Never had a problem. getting it on board, just used common sense and made sure it was unplugged and cool before I secured it away

The fact that your iron wasn't confiscated is totally irrelevant. The cruiseline's policy is very clear: Irons are prohibited. Advising people to disregard such policies, especially when, by doing so, they could create a safety problem, is really indefensible.:mad:

On which ship? All the information I've seen states that irons or steamers of any kind are not allowed.

All the ships allow steamers now. I think RC changed that around May or June. They were banned for a while. Only irons are on the list now. Some of the information in the mailed RC boarding docs says no steamers but they are supposed to be fixing that.

Here's the information from the RC website: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=00005TQsqk2oLNz85WD-M2gO1wE:12hbiodf7?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Luggage&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=348&faqType=faq

Q: What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship?

A: Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that are not allowed onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found.

Prohibited items: Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.

(Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Personal Alcohol

There is a good reason why they are not allowed; they are a fire hazard. Breaking this rule puts everybody's safety in jeopardy. That you did it is bad enough; please do not encourage other people to do so. :rolleyes:

Steam iron? Travel iron? Really?

You're on vacation for Pete's Sake!!!

Send it out the first night you board. We do it every cruise. We're talking 2-4 bucks per item here. We just build it into the cost of the vacation.

One trick I've learned is that I don't press the things that I KNOW are going to wrinkle in transit (fiance's dress shirts for example) before we go, so I don't feel so bad about sending them out once we get on board. In my crazy mind they're getting pressed for the FIRST time :D.

Enjoy your cruise!

Ann

My wrinkle strategy:

1 - iron EVERYTHING very neatly - pants, shorts, T-shirts.

2 - fold things very neatly, more neatly than I normally would

3 - make sure the luggage is really packed full so items can't move around.

Do these things and you will only have a few wrinkles from your own neat folds, instead of lots of wrinkles because things were' pressed in the first place and they shifted around in the bag.

I would think if they are not yet banned steamers will be soon. I took one in a hotel a few weeks ago, and although it was a small travel one it blew the fuse there. The hotel said it happens a lot with steamers.

I 'discovered' downy wrinkle release, fantastic stuff, I wish they sold it here in the UK. The ironing service is also very good, and inexpensive.

Otherwise, I hang clothes in the bathroom when someone has a steamy shower.

I really like packing folders and cubes for packing for organization and I believe these items helps reduce wrinkling. There are many makers of this system with Eagle Creek leading the pack. I fold my shirts in mostly the 15 inch folders and pants in the 18 inch. I roll polo style shirts, t shirts, and the rest and place them in cubes. I also put all my electrical cords in a small cube and carry it with me on the plane. With this method you have access to your luggage without having to unpack things to find items. This is beneficial when packing or when you get to your hotel. All you have to do is take the folder or cube out of the bag, get what you want. On the cruise ship I will keep most items in the cubes or folders and put that in the drawers or in the closet. By doing so I am almost packed at all times and on that dreaded last day I only have to fold a few items.

Shak

I would think if they are not yet banned steamers will be soon. I took one in a hotel a few weeks ago, and although it was a small travel one it blew the fuse there. The hotel said it happens a lot with steamers.
Steamers were allowed then RC banned them last year. Several people pointed out that RC was selling steamers on their ships so banning them from being brought onboard "appeared" to be a means of selling more steamers. RC lifted the steamer ban earlier this year (think it was May/June). I don't know if RC plans to ban them again once they sell out of steamers onboard. I have a small steamer that I bring (when they aren't banned) but usually rely on Wrinkle Release and hot showers. I am thinking of getting a hair straightener instead of bringing the steamer since they seem to be more powerful than my home iron so can get out the tough creases that WR doesn't work on. I've seen others post that hair straighteners are allowed and work well.

I 'discovered' downy wrinkle release, fantastic stuff, I wish they sold it here in the UK. The ironing service is also very good, and inexpensive.

Otherwise, I hang clothes in the bathroom when someone has a steamy shower.

This is what I do. Put the shirt on a hanger, spritz it with wrinkle release (optional), hang it on the hook in the bathroom, and close the door while someone is taking a hot shower. This doesn't work if the clothes are severely wrinkled, obviously, but a quality packing job usually prevents that from the get-go.

One of the best pieces of advice I have taken from thsee boards are the cleaner bags! They worked miracles on my last cruise. I mainly only used them for our dressier clothes and for the rest I used tissue paper between the garments. Worked great! As soon as we got our luggage I hung everything up and it all was good to go!

I'd rather not pay to have the ship press my clothes if I don't have to, that's money that could be better spent elsewhere.

I've posted this advice many times and it's what I do with our clothes. I hang each of my outfits on hangers that I get from the dry cleaner. I put one or two outfits into the dry cleaner bags. When we get our luggage, it's so easy to unpack as most clothes are already on hangers.

When it comes time to pack to go home, all the clean clothes (I bring more than what I wear) as well as my husband's dress pants and suit or sports jacket, are put back into the dry cleaner bags.

All clean clothes in one suitcase, all dirty in the other. We just leave the extra hangers in the cabin and the bags go into the trash. When we get home, it's again easy to unpack.

Archived