Early Saver Cancel/Rebooking Warning

cascole

A warning from this Carnival lover - for anyone who cancels on an ES rate & rebooks... here's the scenario:

1) Cruise booked with ES rate for 3 people, $250pp deposit paid - OK

2) Cruise cancelled, $50pp fee applied - leaving $200pp credit for use within the year, except can not be used for new deposit. - OK

3) New booking made, longer cruise, paid new $300pp deposit - OK

4) Application of $200pp credit from original booking... Carnival applied it as a rate reduction rather than a payment!

..... Say what?! So beyond the $50 fee & having the new booking retain ES restrictions, I am now ineligible for any reductions in my fare until it drops below the $200pp I paid in CASH!?!

Item #4 was not mentioned in the confirmation of cancellation from Carnival. In fact, here's the quote from Carnival when the booking was cancelled:

In the unlikely event your client needs to make a change to their reservation and is unable to immediately decide on their future travel date, we will hold their deposit in house for up to a year, less the $50 service fee.

Needless to say, I am irked & quite simply stunned! I am Platinum & currently have several (6) cruises (two of these with 2+ cabins on each) with Carnival booked through the next year. I am fighting this tooth and nail; but others should be warned.

Not true. If someone told you that, then they are incorrect. You can still get rate reductions. For instance I have a $50 Welcome back credit, so I make a note of the orginal rate I booked at, so they arent confused if they see a lower rate. My rate only has to drop below the orginal rate, not the new rate with the WB credit applied.

I'm confused.

As long as you get the entire amount of the cancelled booking applied to the new reservation' date=' what difference does it make how it's applied?[/quote']

Here's how that would work... (as a TA your comission would also be based off of the lower fare.)

The way it is:

Current rate is $934

They apply the $ as a lower fare rather than payment to the booking, making the rate $734.

Rate drops to $834 - but I wouldn't be eligible

Rate must now drop below $734 before I can get a reduction.

The way it should be:

Current rate is $934

Rate drops to $834

Final rate $834 after ES reductions.

... minus $200 payment (cash I already paid) = $634

Not true. If someone told you that, then they are incorrect. You can still get rate reductions. For instance I have a $50 Welcome back credit, so I make a note of the orginal rate I booked at, so they arent confused if they see a lower rate. My rate only has to drop below the orginal rate, not the new rate with the WB credit applied.

I very much hope you're right, but that is not what they are telling me.

I very much hope you're right, but that is not what they are telling me.

Well the folks who do the booking and the reps who do the price drops dont seem to know what each other is doing, but I agree with you, the way they are doing this makes no sense to me either.

They should reduce the final payment by the amount of the credit, but leave the base price alone.... :( ... all these new rules, even Carnival cant agree with how to do things. sorry, but I would fight it too.

It doesn't seem to make sense. A deposit is a deposit and should be used as such instead of lowering your rate.

If you cancel a ES booking, the amount they hold from your deposit is never applied to the new deposit... that is consistent ...its the other that is new.

You always have to put up a new full deposit. :rolleyes: they want as much money and to hang onto it as long as possible I think.

Makes sense to me........but that would be too easy....

So you think they should use the previous deposit amount to drop the cruise price instead of showing the original price minus the amount their holding? I need a drink.... :confused:

Warning ,Carnival has been taken :Dver by the Antigua Police Dept !

Your in for a TAXI ride !

LMAO! Now that's funny! :D

So you think they should use the previous deposit amount to drop the cruise price instead of showing the original price minus the amount their holding? I need a drink.... :confused:

Pour me one, too! My head is spinning... mostly I'm just so sad to see them get 'sneaky'. Carnival is probably my favorite line, but I am not exclusive to any brand... You can bet I will think twice before putting any more of my $ there if they want to play this way.

:D Update & this just in!

Supervisor was involved & booking has been noted that I should get any rate reduction based on the original rate I booked! Thanks much to Firefly for the Welcome Back credit example! ... I pushed it that direction & things should be OK. (Time will tell when there is a rate drop!)

Supervisor was involved & booking has been noted that I should get any rate reduction based on the original rate I booked! Thanks much to Firefly for the Welcome Back credit example! ... I pushed it that direction & things should be OK. (Time will tell when there is a rate drop!)

Too late, I'm on my third drink!

Yeah! But it still kinda cheesy the way they apply the deposit......especially if you are working with a TA..........

Thanks for the info!

whew, that shouldnt have been so hard. I brought back so much booze, bought 5 bottles of tequila alone, and gave one away, 4 big bottles here. Not to mention a few other things... if only my head wasnt still on the cruise I got off of, I might join in. got off with a chest cold and afraid to drink yet.

Yeah! But it still kinda cheesy the way they apply the deposit......especially if you are working with a TA..........

Thanks for the info!

Agreed, Kurban! It is cheesy - and they may try it with other bookings where people don't think it through or just trust it's been applied correctly, so we should be alert to these things. They made a 'note' on my reservation & I really won't know until there is a rate drop how smoothly it will go.

Cactuscruise, yes, how they apply the funds really could make a big difference....

whew, that shouldnt have been so hard. I brought back so much booze, bought 5 bottles of tequila alone, and gave one away, 4 big bottles here. Not to mention a few other things... if only my head wasnt still on the cruise I got off of, I might join in. got off with a chest cold and afraid to drink yet.

Nah - sounds like a drink is just what you need... kick that cold right outta there! :p

If you cancel a ES booking, the amount they hold from your deposit is never applied to the new deposit... that is consistent ...its the other that is new.

You always have to put up a new full deposit. :rolleyes: they want as much money and to hang onto it as long as possible I think.

When I canceled and rebooked, they used my previous deposit as my new deposit. I was immediately charged $100 on my credit card ($50/person change fee). My final payment date did not change. I still received 2 subsequent price drops.

I called my TA (who then called Carnival while I held) twice before I finally canceled and rebooked, and each time I was told the same thing - that the old deposit would be applied to my new cruise as a deposit, and that the $50/person fee would be charged to me separately.

OP call again and try to see if you can talk to a different CSA.

I rebooked another Early Saver trip after having a credit of $600 from a previously cancelled Early Saver cruise. I was told you cannot use the credit towards the deposit of the rebooking. However, on my new rebooking, they show the Early Saver fare rate, (cost of the cruise) minus a new $750 deposit (3 people); minus a credit of $600. They did not discount the fare by the credit, but used the credit towards the balance due after a new deposit was paid. While I wasn't thrilled to pay another deposit, it leaves my balance due very low. I do find it very interesting that different methods are being utilized. I wonder now if it is the "throw it against the wall and see if it sticks" approach.

Archived