Early Saver Cancel/Rebooking Warning

cascole

I think it is cheesy too. in Effect, they are saying that you get a lower fare than anyone else who books at the going rate. That's not right - a fare is a fare.

I don't think there is any way, if you call and are not willing to pay the going rate, that they can lower it if they want. I'll bet the computer would not accept it.

One guy came on recently asking if fares are "negotiable"... answer was a solid "no" (unless you are working in an upsell situation, but that's another story.)

So, it is not right to call it a fare reduction because there is no such thing. Fares are a certan amount at a certain point in time, and the fare did not change when you booked the second time.

What you got was a discount, applied from an in-house credit. The fare was never reduced. I'm glad they noted your account, but I wonder if everyone in your situation would have to go through this headache.

I have always thought the negatives of the ES program far outweigh the positives (regardless of the number of people who come on and tell you about their rate reductions.) I am not going to book that rate. You can get reductions without ES, at least up to the final payment date. And if you cancel, there is no hassle.

I very much hope you're right, but that is not what they are telling me.

Is this what your TA is telling you or a Carnival PVP. I changed my cruise from last September to next May and I did not have this problem, they credited my amount as a down payment. But then to I deal directly with Carnival so I don't have a middle man to take care of things. If you did book with a TA, I really think they are mistaken about this.

I rebooked another Early Saver trip after having a credit of $600 from a previously cancelled Early Saver cruise. I was told you cannot use the credit towards the deposit of the rebooking. However, on my new rebooking, they show the Early Saver fare rate, (cost of the cruise) minus a new $750 deposit (3 people); minus a credit of $600. They did not discount the fare by the credit, but used the credit towards the balance due after a new deposit was paid. While I wasn't thrilled to pay another deposit, it leaves my balance due very low. I do find it very interesting that different methods are being utilized. I wonder now if it is the "throw it against the wall and see if it sticks" approach.

your event sounds like the way i understood the early saver worked. guess carnival just got even more $$$$ hungry. gee people are cancelling and we are racking up all the fee's, let's see what else we can get from these faithful cruiser's, platium and all. i sure hope OP gets it worked out to be chain of events like in your case, but doesn't sound like it is headed in that direction. there will surely be a lot of unhappy campers or cruisers if they start making rules as they go along.

I did this about 6wk ago and did not incur what you did. I booked 6 of us with the ES rate over Thanksgiving.. needed to move our dates.. rebooked the Dream for 2 weeks later. I only paid the $50pp admin fees on our new ressie.. the $200 went to the new sailing. Here is a copy of my invoice for when i switched

CRUISE CHARGES CRUISE RATE$ 1838.00

FEDERAL TAXES/FEES$ 115.46

MISCELLANEOUS CHARGES ADMINISTATION FEES$ 100.00

SUMMARY CHARGES PAYMENTS RECEIVED$ 600.00

GUEST BALANCE DUE$ 1453.46

FINAL PAYMENT DUE DATE 9/28/2009

That is on my double balcony cabin... $200 paid each from the original booking, $50pp for the rest of the $250 deposit and then $50pp for admin fees for switching an ES booking.

If you cancel a ES booking, the amount they hold from your deposit is never applied to the new deposit... that is consistent ...its the other that is new.

You always have to put up a new full deposit. :rolleyes: they want as much money and to hang onto it as long as possible I think.

Firefly, I just posted my invoice.. I never had to pay a 2nd deposit! They transferred the $200 on all 6 of us.. I did have to pay a new $50 to make up the rest of the $250 and then I had to pay $300 in administrative fees for switching our booking. And I have gotten 2 price drops and now just got upgraded AND a price drop!

It seems Carnival can't get the methodology straight on how to handle this; or they have changed tactics in the last month. Perhaps it has something to do with cancelling & rebooking at the same time vs cancelling & waiting several weeks to rebook? I don't really care about paying a new deposit, just that my payment for the old one is applied as $ and not as a rate reduction.

For now, mine seems to have been taken care of - but should the rate drop & I experience a problem, I will certainly update here.

Firefly, I just posted my invoice.. I never had to pay a 2nd deposit! They transferred the $200 on all 6 of us.. I did have to pay a new $50 to make up the rest of the $250 and then I had to pay $300 in administrative fees for switching our booking. And I have gotten 2 price drops and now just got upgraded AND a price drop!

Thats a new one, I wish Carnival would standardize how they do things...so now we have someone who was able to use the money toward the deposit.

:D Update & this just in!

Supervisor was involved & booking has been noted that I should get any rate reduction based on the original rate I booked! Thanks much to Firefly for the Welcome Back credit example! ... I pushed it that direction & things should be OK. (Time will tell when there is a rate drop!)

Congrats for following through on this and enjoy your cruise. Now, I would be called cynical if I even suggested something like this could even happen (your issue that is..not the outcome) but...this we know is the cyberworld of CC!:D

Archived