arctic circle cruise

lavista4

Sounds like a fantastic itinerary, and it is a great ship. Recommend you go over to the Roll Call. Each specific cruise has a forum where those on that cruise meet and share. Go to the top of this forum, select Celebrity Roll Call, then select Constellation and find your cruise by date and 'Artic'. You'll find fellow cruisers there.

Hope some who have taken this cruise before jump in here, but looks like you picked a great one. Constellation is our favorite ship - about to try Solstice, but you've picked a good ship. Love the T-Spa (free adult inside pool up forward). Large, almost like a hottub with lots of 'water action', and has these steel pipes that form lounges on the sides you lay on and the bubbles come up through. Fantastic. Next to it is the Aqua Cafae which serves 'heathy foods'. I think you'll enjoy the Cava Cafe aslo - great specialty coffees and free pastries.

enjoy!

Denny

We took the Century Arctic Circle cruise in July 2008 and absolutely loved it. We had already done the Baltic cruise in 2004 with a stop in Oslo and also the Norwegian Fjords cruise in 2007. Norway is one of our favorite countries. If you love beautiful scenery and the wonderful outdoors, you will enjoy the cruise. We hiked in nearly every port. I have to look at your ports, but chances are we have have been to most or all of them.

Kathy

I did a 14 day Arctic Circle cruise on Crystal last summer. It's an absolutely fantastic cruise and one I would do again. It stays light pretty much 24 hours if you're there in late June through early July, so walking on deck at midnight, in twilight, is quite interesting. You will need to bring very warm clothing for the cruise as once you get to the North Cape, it's very chilly, windy and can be quite rainy. Everyone on our cruise had winter jackets, hats, gloves and some even wore thermal underwear. We couldn't get too close to the polar ice cap because of the icebergs, but still the scenery is not to be believed.

The cities in Norway are picture perfect. I hope your ship stops in Alesund because it's the most lovely city. Geiranger is the port for the Fjords, so make sure to bring your camera and lots of room on your memory card as you'll be taking tons of photos.

I did have to laugh when I read Celebrity's description of the tour to the North Cape. It says all you'll need is a light jacket, and that's not at all true. You're going to need a coat, something like a warm ski jacket. Believe me, it was 32 degrees on the day we were there, with high winds and rain---the wind chill was around 20. Actually, on our cruise, after we left Copenhagen, the temps never got above 65.

In 2005 we did a 14-night British Isles/Norwegian Fjords cruise on the Constellation that included some of the ports you will visit. It remains one of my favorite cruises -- Norway is unbelievably beautiful with drop dead vistas. Your cruise will likely include Geiranger, Alesund, Olden and Bergen. In Geiranger you can go kayaking, or take the local bus that stops right by the port on a really scenic ride, and in Olden you can walk (after a short bus ride) to a relatively large glacier.

I did a 14 day Arctic Circle cruise on Crystal last summer. It's an absolutely fantastic cruise and one I would do again. It stays light pretty much 24 hours if you're there in late June through early July, so walking on deck at midnight, in twilight, is quite interesting. You will need to bring very warm clothing for the cruise as once you get to the North Cape, it's very chilly, windy and can be quite rainy. Everyone on our cruise had winter jackets, hats, gloves and some even wore thermal underwear. We couldn't get too close to the polar ice cap because of the icebergs, but still the scenery is not to be believed.

The cities in Norway are picture perfect. I hope your ship stops in Alesund because it's the most lovely city. Geiranger is the port for the Fjords, so make sure to bring your camera and lots of room on your memory card as you'll be taking tons of photos.

I did have to laugh when I read Celebrity's description of the tour to the North Cape. It says all you'll need is a light jacket, and that's not at all true. You're going to need a coat, something like a warm ski jacket. Believe me, it was 32 degrees on the day we were there, with high winds and rain---the wind chill was around 20. Actually, on our cruise, after we left Copenhagen, the temps never got above 65.

BTW: My avatar is of my husband and me at the top of Mt. Floyen in Bergen.

The Arctic Circle cruise and the Eastern Mediterranean were our favorite cruises. It meant so much to me to visit the Arctic Circle area as my grandmother came from Finland south of the Arctic Circle (parallel and north of Molde in Norway), so I was able to see much of what life might have been for my ancestors.

Kitty9: We went in late July and it was still daylight 24 hours a day. At least when I woke up a couple times around 3:00 am, it was still daylight and it was daylight when I woke up around 6:00 or 6:30am. Unless it became dark between 3-6am, it was light 24 hours a day. We had much better weather than you did in Honningsvag. We had a high around 52 degrees with high winds and blowing rain. I guess we were there in the *warm* season. ;) We did have over 70 degrees in Alesund and in the mid-60s to 70s in many of the other ports. Did you hear the sounds of the Arctic wind (tunnel?) on the ship? Did you see reindeer when in the outskirts of Honnisvag? The ports are certainly picture perfect as you said.

lavista4: Is this your itinerary? If so, we have been to each port -- some a couple times, except we did not dock in Geiranger but in Alta but we did do the Geiranger fjords cruise. We saw a glacier in Olden during our hike and also a glacier while cruising the Arctic Circle.

Amsterdam, Holland, Alesund, Norway, Arctic Circle (Cruise), Tromso, Norway, Honningsvag, Norway, Molde, Norway, Geiranger, Norway, Olden, Norway, Bergen, Norway, Amsterdam, Holland

Kathy

We were on this cruise in June/July this year and expected mist, dampness, winds. In fact the sun shone. Don't know what the temperature was, but I was in Honningsvag wearing a short sleeved shirt and cargo pants and was quite comfortable. Further south the weather was even warmer. Alseund is a nice town, but I think Molde with all its roses stole our hearts, but Geiranger Fjord is breathtaking. Make sure you get up early and see it as you go in in the morning, the light then makes it more spectacular than when you leave in the late afternoon with the bright sunshine - not that you should miss that either!

Enjoy your trip.

We were on the 8th July sailing and found it a bit too hot on most days!

At the North Cape it was about 22C (72F).

In the port talk she told us they often get "5" seasons in one day (I still don't know what the fifth one is) but we had it sunny almost every day.

Archived