Avalon Tapestry

Bojangles

Hi Judie,

We went with the recommended tips but we did tip our cabin attendant an extra 10 or 20E (I forget exactly), and I think we were literally a few bucks (4 or 5E) shy on the tip to the cruise director (only b'c of the available currency we had in our pockets). (But I gave him ALL of my travel books on Budapest and Germany and Prague which he was very appreciative of so I think it all worked out just the same even though we were a few bucks shy of the recommended amount for him.) (And, I lightened my load for the return trip re luggage.)

No sign and sail card. Didn't have anything to sign FOR (isn't that something?!) ... well except for the internet access & I just signed for that at the front desk. Lounge, well they had free-flowing wine and beer at dinner so we really didn't drink prior to that (no time anyway)! Ah, I recall there was one glass of wine on tab from DH... then he realized it was free from that point on if he waited until dinner! LOL

Yep, bring the wine aboard. We bought some special dessert wine from Budapest. You probably saw a reference to it in my report. No problem. We actually didn't open it until we got to the hotel in Prague b'c we always felt the ship's free-flowing wine at dinner was more than sufficient for our needs. Do bring a corkscrew though!

Oops forgot to mention, we signed up for a couple of extra excursions; these were handled with a credit card the day they were purchased from the cruise director.

I know this is off the subject, but we like a little Restaurant on Campbell and Ft. Lowell called Rosa's. Our very favorite is on south 4th ave. But we do not go there very often because of the neighborhood. President Clinton went there on his trip here but he did have his body guards. Donna

• 2 weeks later...
The recommended tip for the crew is 12 Euros per passenger per day, which is split among all of the crew. The recommended tip for the cruise director is 3 Euro per person per day.

We are just back and the recommended amount on Avalon was 10E per day per person, not 12. 3 for the CD.

We are just back and the recommended amount on Avalon was 10E per day per person, not 12. 3 for the CD.

Must depend on the itinerary as on our Budapest to Amsterdam cruise on The Tranquility the suggested amount was definitely 12E pp per day.Maybe they have changed it due to the economy or it is less on shorter cruises.

We are on the Tapestry..Budapest to Nuremberg,then off to Prague for 3 days...do we need visas for any of the stops ?

we were on the Tapestry September/October 2009 from Budapest to Nuremberg then on to Prague for 3 days and did NOT need visas for this trip. We are American. However, they did recommend that we have FIVE blank pages in our passport and our passport needed to have an expiration date at least 6 months after our return to America travel date.

Usavvy2 can you please email me a copy of your trip review. We are thinking about booking this cruise. Thanks, gretchenmonero@cox.net

Gretchen, check your email from my hotmail. It's not a review per se, just a recap of what we did - more or less a summary of the things we experienced. (I think of a review as something that says this is 5 stars, that is 2 stars, etc.) Please recognize that it's written from a viewpoint of a caregiver (me) traveling with a disabled person so it's not as comprehensive as two able-bodied folks traveling.

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the Avalon Tapestry last April and used our credit card for the tip. We simply told the front desk how much to add to the final bill. We thought the ship was lovely. The captain in his wooden shoes riding his bicycle in every port was a hoot and the cruise director was very wise.

This is extremely helpful. Thanks for the thread. Follow-up question...I just held a stateroom on the Tapestry for the short Taste of the Danube sailing in April...Budapest to Vienna. Is there a "preferred side" of the ship for best viewing? Port or Starboard? Or no real difference? Sometimes it seems to make no difference (ie Caribbean), but sometimes there seems to be better viewing on a particular side (going up or down coast of Alaska, for example) from stateroom.

Thanks for any thoughts. :-)

Most of the time, you will probably not be in your room but in the lounge or on the upper deck. We have had rooms on both sides and didn't notice much difference, but then I preferred to go to the lounge or up on the upper deck to watch the scenery go by.

Just depends if you want to be mostly on the docking side or on the riverside? Up to you. It seems to me when we cruised Budapest to Amsterdam we were on the starboard side and most of the time we docked on that side. I agree with Pat as we also liked to be in the lounge or on the sun deck to see things.

• 3 months later...

Hello - We are booked on the Avalon Tranquility doing the "Grand Black Sea Cruise" from Bucharest to Nurenberg then the last 3 days in Prague. This is our first riverboat cruise. We have done many European land trips and cruised all over the world -- So we are looking forward to this change of pace. Anyone else doing that sailing??

Sheila and Herb :)

Hello - We are booked on the Avalon Tranquility doing the "Grand Black Sea Cruise" from Bucharest to Nurenberg then the last 3 days in Prague. This is our first riverboat cruise. We have done many European land trips and cruised all over the world -- So we are looking forward to this change of pace. Anyone else doing that sailing??

Sheila and Herb :)

I see that you have posted this on a couple of threads - perhaps start a new Roll Call thread for your sailing to get a better response.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived