How does Southwest handle disabled boarding?

Arwenmark

I have never flown SouthWest and I am a bit afraid of the cattle call image. I am in a Wheelchair and other airlines board me, and my husband, first.

How does SouthWest handle boarding of disabled passengers? and if they would board me first would my husband be able to come with me?

Thanks.

No worries. They will board you first with any other disabled passengers and your husband will board with you. You will be given a special blue boarding sleeve for your boarding pass. Not exactly sure how that happens as I am not disabled but it must be either at luggage check-in or at the gate with the gate agent. You and your husband will be settled and in your airplane seats before the "A" and "B" groups starts boarding. The "cattle call" as you describe it is no big deal. SWA actually boards its planes more quickly than the legacy airlines because of this. I fly regularly for both business and pleasure and believe their boarding procedure is superior. You will have no problems at all. :)

Wheelchaired passengers go first along with anyone traveling with that person before they start calling A passes. When you get to the counter or gate, ask for the blue pass. More than likely they will ask if you need assistance boarding and give it to you before you ask for it. Southwest employees are very well trained to give great customer service. Other airlines could learn a few things from Southwest.

Archived