Not Your Daughter's Jeans

Occy

Has anyone tried these jeans. What's your opinion, are they worth the high price tag ?? I'm sort of humming and aahhing about getting a pair but thought I'd ask you ladies what you thought first.

Thx.

I don't own a pair but quality-wise, they're good (I work for a retailer part-time which sells the brand and so I can share that as "insider" info, fwiw!). I just don't find they fit me that well -- I'm partial to L.L.Bean jeans, which I find fit me perfectly (and have a very nice price, too!), so I generally just keep buying them. If you like the fit, though, then go for it. Especially if you wear jeans a lot -- then it just makes sense to put the money into a pair that you love and will get a lot of wear out of. Hope this helps.

My mom just bought a pair and I've tried them on. The fit (for us) is very good and she's received quite a few compliments when she wears them. I'm planning to buy a pair for myself. I see you too are from V. Island :D!

I just read an article about these jeans so I ordered some online. They did fit well and I really liked them. But again, each figure is different.

I saw at Nordstrom's that they have some styles on sale anywhere from $58-$78 so I ordered a few more to try different styles. There are quite a few different styles so I wanted to try a them out.

With Nordstrom's, I know that I can return them to the store if they do not fit and not have to pay return shipping.

I have a pair that I wear to work on casual Fridays (I work in a medical office) but I never wear them otherwise. They are a dark wash and look "conservative" (for jeans) and I bought them for that reason. They ARE comfortable but then again, I don't wear anything (jeans or otherwise) that are uncomfortable.

My current favorite jean is a bootcut midrise from Target (Merona brand) that fit me absolutely perfectly. I got them at Goodwill for $4.99 :eek:

IMHO, NYDJ'S are a little too high in the rise and a bit loose in the thighs for me to like for casual wear and they are VERY stretchy. They look best right after I put them on.

I did see some (just yesterday) for $24.99 on the rack at ROSS Dress for Less here in Texas. Dillard's here also carries them.

Looks as if I'll have to try to find somewhere that carries them here on the Island. I think there's a couple of places but they carry very limited styles.

dmgg, do they fit true to size ? I usually take a 12 and I've heard that you go down a size, i.e. in my case a 10. I'm starting to think maybe I'd be better not buying them on line, even though you can get them a lot more reasonable !!!

Yes, I'm from mid-island actually, sleepy little Q.B. !!!!!

I have bought three pair, different styles. You do need to go down a size. I'm not wild about them because they slide down my hips too far unless I wear a belt. I got tired of the extremely low waists on some other brands, but I don't like these that much either. I don't like the zipper--it it too thick and is hard to keep up.

You do have to try them on and get the sales person's advice. I think they cost too much for the quality. I will say that the pair i have of wide-legged, trouser style are comfortable and I take them on trips. They aren't too flattering though.

To me the cut is a bit matronly. I am in my 60's and find I still look best in other brands. I hope this is useful. I think the best advice for jeans is that you have to try them on and remember that they will stretch.

I bought a pair about three years ago. They're dark wash, a lower rise (not low low low, but below the waist), and are boot cut. As another mentioned, they're really stretchy, so the size 12s I bought have fit me over weight fluctuations of 30 pounds over those years.

But they are honestly the most comfortable jeans I have ever owned in my life - as comfortable as the pair of Levis that I wore for so long and washed so often that they were like flannel. I wouldn't ever wear jeans on an airplane because they were too constricting - but when I fly home to Canada in the winter and I want something warmer, I wear these.

I think I paid about $125 for mine and think they were worth the price. I am not a blue jean wearer, plus we're in Florida so there isn't a lot of opportunity to wear jeans so they will probably last me another 10 years (unless I can finally have to drop to a smaller size ;) ).

They are heavier jean but nicely styled..A word of advice buy your pair a bit on the tight side. You will find that as the day wears on they tend to stretch especially around the waist band and the knees.

I bought 2 pairs and stupidly paid a fortune for them. To be honest I have found Chico's Classics or Talbot's dress jeans to be just as good if not better.

I won't pay over $100 for jeans but did buy a pair for about $80 at a Nordstrom sale. One thing, their sizes seem to be all over the board. In the styles I tried, I had to try on 2 different sizes because their sizes didn't run the same in different styles. (Pet peeve about sizing and brands but then that would be a different thread.) I do like the jeans and the ones I have are a bit dressier. They are a heavier fabric, too, as someone mentioned.

I love NYDJ. They fit me like a glove. Not only do I have jeans, I have cropped pants and several pairs of slacks. Nordstrom's runs some of them on sale occaisionallly and they are not quite so expensive. To me they are worth every cent. Also, especially with the denims, you'll need a smaller size than you normally wear. Pschologically, makes you feel good. But, the jeans are wonderful. They make you legs looks long and slim.

I'm in Ottawa...at $199 a pair...they looked nice enough with some sequins on the back pocket but at that price I did not try them on..

Cancun, I'm in Ottawa too (as you can probably tell by my name!). Don't you just love Canadian prices? I've never looked at these jeans before (I seem to get lucky with the various Calvin Klein jeans they carry at Costco for $25-30:D), but I just had to commiserate with you on the ridiculous discrepancy between US and CAD prices!:eek:

Hi Occy - We're in Nan and there is one store in Longwood Station that carries both regular and petite fit. My mom purchased her's in Victoria and I actually think the store in Longwood Station prices were about $20 less. The Cdn prices are considerably higher than US prices. :( I found them pretty true to size. I would suggest trying them on and if you are able to find a US site that ships to Canada you might want to order on line. I'm planning to wait to buy a pair within the next couple months as we have a trip to US planned. Good luck!

d

Occy, I forgot to add that the shop's name in Longwood Station escapes me at the moment but if you want I can pop out there after work tomorrow and post the name tomorrow in case you're down our way in the next bit. let me know. :) d

Hi ... many thx. for the info. Is that in the area around the Longwood pub ???? We'll be heading down that way probably late next week sometime .... there's a Boston Pizza in that area as well, right ???

Pls don't go out of your way, if you are around there say before next Thursday I'd appreciate you posting the name, or pointing me in the right direction lol ....

Many thanks dmgg, much appreciated.

Cancun, I'm in Ottawa too (as you can probably tell by my name!). Don't you just love Canadian prices? I've never looked at these jeans before (I seem to get lucky with the various Calvin Klein jeans they carry at Costco for $25-30:D), but I just had to commiserate with you on the ridiculous discrepancy between US and CAD prices!:eek:

I just saw them yesterday in Shepherd's at Bayshore - they had them in several nice colours but for me I'll stick with Chicos when I'm in the US - by the time you add our crazy taxes - I can buy 4 pairs at chicos for the price of one NYDJ - more if I hit an end of season sale!! :D. I do buy bathing suits at Costco - never really looked at the jeans.

Hi ... many thx. for the info. Is that in the area around the Longwood pub ???? We'll be heading down that way probably late next week sometime .... there's a Boston Pizza in that area as well, right ???

Hi Occy - yes that's right. :) It's in the upper section (where the Longwood restaurant entrance is - not pub entrance). There's two stores, one for the regular size and one for petites - if you stand with your back to Longwood Pub, the regular size shop is on your left and the petite shop on right, just by Blue Ginger. It's not at all far from where I live so I'll stop by and find the name and post it this weekend. take care, d

For fellow Canadians...

Have you ever tried Reitmans Jeans. It took some convincing to get me in there but now I don't wear any others. They were recommended on Cityline, too.

Worth a try if you're nearby.

Cheers

Thanks...you know good old Reitman's is one of our few Canadian retailers left and I often find some great clothes and amazing bargains in their stores.

I love my NYDJ jeans!!! I have difficulty finding jeans with a good fit because of my body type -- thicker through the waist, narrower hips and legs. I splurged on my first pair a year ago, paying about $130 in the Toronto area, but they were worth every penny, and I have worn them frequently. I did have to try on many different pair to get the best fit since the various styles fit differently, but finally found the perfect jean for me :D

Regarding sizing, I did find I had to go down a size. As others have stated, buy them snug because they do stretch some while wearing.

When I was in New York City a couple of weeks ago, I found them at Filene's Basement in Union Square for US $39.95!!! Found a different style, this time in a dark wash, that fit me just as well. My SIL also bought a pair and was thrilled that she could say she was wearing a size 6!

I would not buy them online unless I had tried on the exact style in a real store first. If you do that, and know which style fits you best, I would try to find the same style at an online store or on ebay for a better price than you would have to pay in Canada.

Bonnie

Haven't been to Reitman's in years ..... think I'll have a look in there next time I'm shopping. It won't be for jeans though, have my heart set on NYDJ ....

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL MY FELLOW CANADIANS. Have a great weekend.

If you don't go one size smaller than you think you need, they do get too stretchy. I love them. I order from Nordstrom, but they have them in Dillards. It seems like all the stores are different. I have a pair of denim gauchos that I bought at Dillards several years ago on sale, and I've just about worn them out, but I have not seen them anywhere else. Of course Dillards doesnt' have them anymore, either. I don't understand why they have to change every thing every year. I know jeans are subjective. That's why they make so many different ones. I used to love the Gloria Vanderbilts. I think she started the stretch craze but the ones you find now are not the same pants that I bought in the 80's.

Archived