Flying in on the day of the cruise...Have I got a story for you

jennbill

Well, I knew it was going to be bad the moment I read that it was a Delta flight:eek: I don't think I recall ever reading anything positive about them on these boards.

So glad you both made it. That's one heck of a story.

That's mainly because folks only write about the bad stuff. Just read the local newspaper....:D

Hubby flies Delta every week...and has few horror stories.

First of all, I am SOOOOO glad this had a happy ending.

My question is....what happen to the Homeland Security rule that everyone must be on the ship one hour prior to pulling away from the dock?????

That's mainly because folks only write about the bad stuff. Just read the local newspaper....:D

Exactly. I'd fly the day of without hesitation.

I hope that your DH's luck continues. I had the exact same story as the OP, except mine involved renting a car, one-way to Atlanta, and my BF driving like a maniac from Birmingham. He got us there in one piece and we were able to get a flight out that would get us to the pier before Homeland Security locked the port down. I used to only fly Delta, but now I try to avoid them. Our next cruise is booked through Carnival, partly because they use ports that are within easy driving distance of my home, and we are STILL driving in the day before. That experience scared me, BAD. I will echo the OP's sentiment that it is just too risky to try traveling the "day of", and the stress, crying, screaming, gnashing of teeth, and Georgia State Troopers (the one that pulled us over had a heart. Thank you, Mr. Trooper.) is just not worth saving a few dollars on a hotel for the night before.

I just posted the link to this thread on the Florida departures board, since someone was asking about flying in the same day.

Good thing I didn't have to look far, since it was on the top:D GREAT writing.

You're right, there are always more negatives written then positives. I hope his "luck" continues.

Seriously? You're kidding...right:confused:

Exciting and well written! Your post should be a sticky up on page 1 !

All newbies should read and then analze risk of when they should travel and if unable to come in day before, at least try for direct flights and first flight out in the A.M.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!!! :D:D

We are a group of 24 and we are leaving the day before we cruise. I will show your post to all. ;)

I will also have it for any new bookers that we may have to show them just how stressful it can be flying the day of youR cruise.:eek:

Flying the day before also gives another day of PARTY TIME :p:p

Darlene

WOW.....!!! icon4.gif

What an AMAZING STORY.....!!!

You write VERY, VERY, VERY WELL......!!! icon14.gif

I was drawn right into the heart pumping "will they or won't they make the ship....???!!!" :confused:

I am SO GLAD you had a "Happy Ending". Even though things went wrong at the beginning of your journey, things DID fall into place at the end. :D

I needed 2 drinks to calm down after reading that.

Thanks for sharing! I have preached about this to thers for years and have been tempted a few times but we still fly in the day before.

The way I look at it , you lost all of day 1 because of the airlines and weather. Too hard to enjoy the first dinner and evening when you ar exhausted

Ok, a little bit of a hijack here.......NEVER ever wait in line with the masses if your flight is cancelled or has an unacceptable delay. Get on the cellphone to the airline and make your own arrangements rather than waiting for your turn with a usually very harried gate agent. Every one in front of you in that line will get the soonest available seats on the next flight which could almost certainly leave you out in the cold.

My DH and I have had several flights cancelled out from under us over the years and we learned the hard way how this is done. A phone agent can get you the next seat soooooo much quicker than that gate agent. And in some cases, when time is of the essence, they can possibly put you on another airline all together. Yes, it does happen. Now, granted, not much can be done with weather delays but certainly for equipment issues.

To the OP-this is one of those life lessons you only have to learn the hard way once. We had a similiar experience several years back with a rare ice storm in Atlanta. It does give you some incredibly tense moments and what a crappy way to start your vacation. So glad you made it and had a wonderful cruise!

Hubby flies every week for work. And my reference is that he has "overall" had a good experience with Delta.

NO WAY would I ever fly in the day of the cruise.

Even if we are sailing from New Orleans or Mobile (a 6 hour drive)...we always drive in the day before.

27 years ago when he started cruising....everyone flew in the day of the cruise and never thought a thing about it.

Not any more....

in today's world...you have pilots and crew flying to their maximum hours, a decreasing number of planes so that when there is a maintenance issue...there is little back up, weather, .... not to mention that one bag left unattended can shut down an entire terminal or worse....some nut decides to call in some kind of threat.

Add into the mix that there are less seats for folks who have a flight that has an issue.....

even if you miss a connection through no fault of your own....there is no guarantee that there will be seat for you on the next flight...or even that day.

In the past 10 years....we have only flown in the day of the cruise one time...and a Northwest Airline plane (full of cruisers headed to Miami and then onto San Juan) went out for maintenance.

We barely made it.....friends on their honeymoon, did not.

Never again....

WOW! What a story! My heart was racing hoping the story would have a happy ending! I am copying your story and forwarding it to everyone going on our group cruise in June....great example of why to arrive a day early!

A great story..since it had a happen ending :D

Can't imagine booking a flight that landed 4 hours before cruise departure ...to any port...from any city though. Ever! You must have nerves of steel to take on that challenge :eek:

So glad it worked out for you!!!!

A good story for anyone thinking about flying in the day of. You are certainly taking your chances if you do. Glad you made it! :)

A good story for anyone thinking about flying...period. We flew to Calgary in October of 2007 to a week-long convention attended by people from North America to New Zealand. One couple flying from OK was delayed a total of TWO DAYS. It's not "fear of flying" anymore, it's "fear of NOT flying".

Wonderful story with an awesome story teller! I was running up to the upper level parking with your 100 pounds of luggage each, out of breath too!!! Embarressed to admit, tears of joy :o when "we" finally made it on-board!!! :p

So glad it was a happy ending, and we can all learn (or at least be reminded of) the reason we all "try" to fly in the day before!:rolleyes:

A~

OMG! As I was reading this it was like a movie....I could picture every move and every expression. And near the end my heart starts to beat fast b/c I was hoping you made it...And once I found out you did...I was soooo relieved...its like it was happening to me...LOL

You can rest assure from your story I will never fly the day of a cruise....Thanks for the lesson and I am soooooo glad you made it.

Archived