Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

While visiting a niece and her DH, we asked how long before they retire and come cruising with us? He replied, "I've got an app for that!", pulled out his phone, clicked a few buttons announced, "Two years, three months, four days, six hours, and fifty-four minutes."

I spent almost 30 years in Corporate America. Turned 55 and walked out the door. I enjoyed working. I enjoy not working even more.

Yup, have an app on my phone as well, called "T-zero" or something like that.

My calc yesterday includes all days/time off, etc. That sick leave balance will be a nice going away gift for me, although I may start developing a vision problem e.g. I just can't see going to work today!

Edited by tahoemc

I started counting in Oct. 1992, I told co workers 22 years 2 months in and 22 years 2 months to go. I was at the mountain top everything from now on is all down year. They thought I was nuts.

Then again in 2001 things changed and I could retire 2 years earlier. Other co workers were talking about different ways they were counting till retirement.

So I said 55 weeks left till I retire, They said I couldn't retire in 1 year and 3 weeks. I said no I have 55 weeks of vacation left till I retire 5 weeks a year x 11 years = 55 weeks, They just rolled their eyes.

Then again when everybody was worried about the Maya/Mayan calendar and the world ending on 12/21/2012.

Being I could retire on my 60th birthday which was 12/23/2012 two days after the world might end just my luck.

So I saved up Vacation days from 2011 & 2012 my last day at work was Halloween 10/31/2012 (1 year ago today) for the rest of Nov. and Dec. 2012

I didn't want to take any chances just in case.

We had never taken a cruise till Jan. 2013 between then and June 2013 we been on 8 cruises and three more planned.

www.worldwidewaftage.com

I started counting in Oct. 1992, I told co workers 22 years 2 months in and 22 years 2 months to go. I was at the mountain top everything from now on is all down year. They thought I was nuts.

Then again in 2001 things changed and I could retire 2 years earlier. Other co workers were talking about different ways they were counting till retirement.

So I said 55 weeks left till I retire, They said I couldn't retire in 1 year and 3 weeks. I said no I have 55 weeks of vacation left till I retire 5 weeks a year x 11 years = 55 weeks, They just rolled their eyes.

Then again when everybody was worried about the Maya/Mayan calendar and the world ending on 12/21/2012.

Being I could retire on my 60th birthday which was 12/23/2012 two days after the world might end just my luck.

So I saved up Vacation days from 2011 & 2012 my last day at work was Halloween 10/31/2012 (1 year ago today) for the rest of Nov. and Dec. 2012

I didn't want to take any chances just in case.

We had never taken a cruise till Jan. 2013 between then and June 2013 we been on 8 cruises and three more planned.

www.worldwidewaftage.com

Cruising is great!!! I know retirement will be in 36 working weeks!!!!! You definitely had your retirement down to a science...lol

As of yesterday (Halloween) I'm calling it three more years to retirement. It's really three years and two months but I plan to make sure I have 8 weeks of vacation banked and take those last two months off. I looked into retiring now but the extra three years means an extra $900 a month in retirement pension. That can help pay for more cruising. ;)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

As of yesterday (Halloween) I'm calling it three more years to retirement. It's really three years and two months but I plan to make sure I have 8 weeks of vacation banked and take those last two months off. I looked into retiring now but the extra three years means an extra $900 a month in retirement pension. That can help pay for more cruising. ;)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

My extra 3 years mean about the same as yours. It will be worth it!! More cruising and NO work week hours.!!!!!IOW...sleepinig late....:)

...I got a chance of an attractive package at ate 59. Took it and never looked back. We have lots of places to go and things to see before we are unable to travel any more.

If you can manage it financially, get out early. Change your occupation, volunteer, travel, whatever.

I could not agree more. I moved to half-time (and worked more like 2/3 time) in November 2012 and retired in May 2013, at 59. This schedule permitted us to spend a month in New Zealand and Australia, cruise to Italy and Greece and, over the next 14 months, signup for future cruises to Hawaii and Antarctica and an African Safari. Besides personal travel, retirement has brought more time to attend to aging parents, visiting with friends, catching up on house (and daughter) projects, work with a non-profit and getting to my reading list. I enjoyed my 35 years of work, but retirement has opened opportunities for activities that were hard to squeeze in during the weekends and holidays.

35 weeks and not counting Thanksgiving week because I'll be cruising from Galveston for a fun filled relaxing week. Definitely looking toward to relaxing part. Room service in morning...sun on balcony...lazy days!!!! Nights might not be so lazy...lol!!"

I just have 9 more days to work in 2013!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am still working on the 5 weeks vacation .... must have been a government job :D

I'm 66 and will retire in June this year. The wife will retire then too. Bought a home in Florida, can't wait!!

FastFreddie, No not a government job private industry.

When was the last time you ever heard of someone working at a government job for over 42 years excepted congress & senate? LOL

Tahoemc, thanks for the greetings.

We left the good old USA in April 20, 2013 won't return till Sept. 14, 2014.

"I get up every day with nothing to do and by noon I am 3 hours behind!"

Actually, I have a loved one that worked 45 years with his employer. He had some at his office that had worked there even longer. He loved his job but is now loving retirement, which was definitely well-earned. He said things were starting to change for the worse just before he left. He was hired back 4 weeks after he retired, to train staff. He trained 4 people and 3 contractors to try to do the job he did single-handedly. Needless to say, he is sorely missed at his former workplace. As folks retired, quit or were down-sized, he just absorbed their job and duties as well as his own.

I give his A LOT of credit for all he does! He is an amazing inspiration to many.

I know another man who will soon be turning 89. He is STILL working, but it's because he loves it and doesn't know what he'd do with his time if he stopped working. He eats out all he wants, travels, golfs, gardens, attends sporting events, and has a wide circle of friends.

It's wonderful to keep busy and be paid for what you love to do AND do well. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm STILL debating whether to retire or not. Am I at the AGE to retire, YES. I"m 70, but most people think I look/act younger.

I work for DFA or you might know it as Borden's products. I work for the corporate office as their receptionist. I really like my job, and if I could find a part time job I would be happy. I'm not like a lot of people who want to STAY at home. I am constantly on the go. :)

Actually, I have a loved one that worked 45 years with his employer. He had some at his office that had worked there even longer. He loved his job but is now loving retirement, which was definitely well-earned. He said things were starting to change for the worse just before he left. He was hired back 4 weeks after he retired, to train staff. He trained 4 people and 3 contractors to try to do the job he did single-handedly. Needless to say, he is sorely missed at his former workplace. As folks retired, quit or were down-sized, he just absorbed their job and duties as well as his own.

I give his A LOT of credit for all he does! He is an amazing inspiration to many.

I know another man who will soon be turning 89. He is STILL working, but it's because he loves it and doesn't know what he'd do with his time if he stopped working. He eats out all he wants, travels, golfs, gardens, attends sporting events, and has a wide circle of friends.

It's wonderful to keep busy and be paid for what you love to do AND do well. :)

Hello Hi mom

I was wondering the loved one and their co workers if they were government employees or not?

Tom

beshears,

I will be retiring this coming July. I turned 66 in Sept. and it's time for me. But like you I wouldn't mind working part time either. So I asked my boss. He will run it up the management chain. Perhaps you could ask your boss the same? What's the worst thing she/he could say?

Good Luck!