Oranjestad, Aruba - Tried Port of Call Board

sail7seas

I tried asking on Aruba Port of Call Board and got no response so trying here.

Restaurant - Chez Mathilde

Oranjestad:

Has anyone heard of a restaurant named Chez Mathilde in downtown?

We ate there about 15 years ago and remember it being outstanding.

Would love any recent recommendations.

Thanks.

We leave Aruba at late sailaway so want to have dinner ashore. Hate to go to this place if it is no longer as wonderful as it used to be. It's a relatively easy walk from the ship.

We tend to be in Aruba for a couple of weeks each year and have been going since 1991. We missed last year but that said we've dined at Chez Mathilde each trip. A few years ago it was bought out and they changed the name to just Mathilde, then last year they changed it back :). The quality has remained outstanding throughout all the changes.

Just an FYI for you. We find a huge difference in the experience depending on which room one is placed in. The back room which used to be called the greenhouse room, is large and bright and like dining in an indoor garden(unless they've changed it again...lol). The front rooms we find a tad over-crowded and nothing special. At some different slow times they only open the back room on weekends so we make sure when we call for ressies that we check to see when its open. You have the luxury of doing that if you're there for a bit and Im not sure what your plans are ie. trip or cruise stop ?

If you have any other Aruba questions feel free to ask....I know that im going to ask alot of Hal questions so at least I can return the favour :)

Thanks everyone.

Especially thank you Luckybee.

I know about the website and visited it today. We read the menu and made reservations.

I will send another e-mail requesting which dining room in which we want to dine. That was a great tip, Luckybee. :)

I don't think it is a holiday the day we are there and it is mid-week. We have always loved Aruba (and Curacao) and are looking forward to another visit.

• 3 weeks later...
We tend to be in Aruba for a couple of weeks each year and have been going since 1991. We missed last year but that said we've dined at Chez Mathilde each trip. A few years ago it was bought out and they changed the name to just Mathilde, then last year they changed it back :). The quality has remained outstanding throughout all the changes.

Just an FYI for you. We find a huge difference in the experience depending on which room one is placed in. The back room which used to be called the greenhouse room, is large and bright and like dining in an indoor garden(unless they've changed it again...lol). The front rooms we find a tad over-crowded and nothing special. At some different slow times they only open the back room on weekends so we make sure when we call for ressies that we check to see when its open. You have the luxury of doing that if you're there for a bit and Im not sure what your plans are ie. trip or cruise stop ?

If you have any other Aruba questions feel free to ask....I know that im going to ask alot of Hal questions so at least I can return the favour :)

Hi Luckybee,

Thank you that you're willing to answer our questions. Westerdam will dock in Aruba from 1 pm to 11 pm. We are planning to come back to ship by 7 pm.

So what can we see and do from 1:30 pm to 7:00 pm? Also how about the buying camera/electronics and jewelry there?

Regards,

Tdk

Archived