Confused about Panama Canal excursions

dijo

We will be on the November 20 Island Princess Panama Canal cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale which does a partial transit. I read on CC that the ship goes through the locks and then anchors in Gatun Lake from which passengers are tendered to shore for excursions. Then the ship returns through the locks and ports at Cristobal Pier. If you go on an excursion from Gatun Lake do you get transported back to meet the ship at Cristobal or do you return to the ship before it does the return trip through the locks? Also, any advice on excursions for this itinerary which includes Aruba, Cartagena,Colon,Limon Costa Rica, and Ocho Rios will be appreciated.

We did the partial transit on the Coral in February. Our itinerary was the same. In Aruba we did the semi-submersible. It was OK but allowed not time for doing anything else. It is a very short time in port. In Cartagena we did the mangrove canoe ride and a walking tour of the old city. It was interesting and we got to see a lot of Cartagena which you don't ordinarily see - some of it not too pleasant. The old city was beautiful though. In Limon we did a rainforest trip which we enjoyed. In Ocho Rios we went to Dunns River Falls and a botanical gardens. We enjoyed that also. All the excursions were through Princess. We stayed on the ship when we went through the canal and back again. Most of the excursions involved long bus rides over poor roads and we preferred to just stay on the ship and see more of the canal. If you take an excursion from the ship in Gatun Lake you will tender to shore and then return to Cristobal to meet the ship. You can see pictures from our various excursions at the link below. It will give you an idea of what to expect on these particular tours.

We did this cruise on the Coral in Feb. Absolutely loved it!:) Those doing ship sponsered tours(you can not book private tours here) from Gatun Lake will be transported back to the ship at the Cristobal Pier after their tour is completed. We visited the Embera Indians in Panama and really enjoyed the excursion. When we returned to Cristobal Pier we had time to wander around the vendor area at the pier before boarding the ship. We were very glad we did an excrusion to experience more of Panama than if we had simply stayed on the ship. We had early traditional dining and we didn't wish to feel rushed attempting to get back to the ship to eat not to mention that the road system in Panama is not the best so we didn't know exactly when we would arrive at the Cristobal pier so we simply decided to plan to eat at the buffet that evening. Not something we normally do, but worked great that evening as we had been up very very early to view our entry into the canal and it did feel good to have a very relaxed dinner that evening.

What we chose to do at each port may not be what you would be interested in but here's what we did. Since there is such a short port time in Aruba we chose to take the local bus to Eagle beach across from the Amsterdam Manor. $2.60 fare round trip per person and very easily to do. Enjoyed the beach for a couple hours and grabbed the bus easily back to town. Wandered around the shops for a short time and then went back to the ship. In Cartegena we did a tour which another cc rollcall memer had organized which took us to the fort, the monistary, and the old city. Cartegena is beautiful and we loved Cartegena and hope to return some day. We would recommend taking an organized tour of the city vs attempting to do it yourself. In Costa Rica we booked a private tour with J.J. which several of our cc rollcall members joined us on. We visited a banana plantation and learned more about banana's then I ever imagined, cruised the Tutuga Canal where we saw many birds and animals, stopped at a local fruit stand, went to a beach restauant and enjoyed local food and the beach for a short swim, went to a local grocery store to purchase coffee and vanilla and saw the different areas of the city of Limon. Very much enjoyed our day in Costa Rica and will return there some day on a land visit. We did not know we would be visiting Ocho Rio's until we arrived at the pier to board the Coral as we had been scheduled to stop at Montego Bay. Having been to Ocho Rio's before when we had visited Dunn's River falls(we viewed the falls but did not climb it but it was still worth visiting) and Coyoba Gardens which is small but still pretty this time we chose to not to do an excursion but just walk the short distance to the Island Village shopping area where we took our time talking to the vendors and made some purchases and then returned to the ship. It was the only day we experienced some rain that morning but if we had not we would have probably spend some time at the small beach area within the Island Village shopping area(there is an entrance fee but it is not expensive) where one can rent lounge chairs and enjoy the water.

Hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we enjoyed our!:)

Since you will be doing the partial transit on the cruise ship, you really need to take the shore excursion that takes you through all the locks. We did this a few years ago and it's a wonderful trip. Yes, the bus ride is bumpy, but you see parts of the country that otherwise you would miss. The boat ride was wonderful as you get to see the locks from a close-up advantage. You have a special tour guide on the boat excursion itself, not the same guide as on the bus, plus a light lunch aboard the boat. You really shouldn't miss this. You will be bussed back to your ship at Cristobal, and the ride back is a different route, as I recall. Not the same bumpy ride as in the morning. ;)

We are taking the full transit in February, and I'm so glad we did the smaller boat excursion first, as one can see everything--the scenery on all sides as well as the locks as you go through them. We are so glad we took that tour before going through on the bigger cruise ship this winter.

Joleen

I'll be doing the partial canal transit on the Island Princess in April. Taking the excursion through the rest of the canal really interests me. Is the bus air conditioned that takes you back to the ship? How long is the bus ride back to the ship and where do you get the bus? Is the bus comfortable?

Also, I've heard that Princess was going to stop going to Ocho Rios and go to Montego Bay. Has anyone else heard this? I had stories of many crusiers unhappy with Ocho Rios because of too many vendors and drugs being offered to cruise passengers. Just wondering?

Thanks.

I had stories of many crusiers unhappy with Ocho Rios because of too many vendors and drugs being offered to cruise passengers. Just wondering?

Thanks.

I can attest to that. In February we felt very uncomfortable and were continuously pelted with offers for rides, drugs, etc. At times someone would be in front of you and behind you simultaneously.

If we never set foot on Jamaica again it will be too soon.

Mike:)

We had no problems with vendors in Ocho Rios. I went through the area at Dunns River Falls, which is one of the places that people complain about, and had no problems. I just said that I had no money and no one bothered me at all. Cartagena was the worst though. We went to a shopping area and were constantly hounded by vendors. They even followed behind my DH trying to get him to buy cigars. It was a real turn-off. On the whole, Jamaica seemed less poverty stricken than other ports that we visited on this cruise. That being said, I don't think that I would feel comfortable heading out on my own in any of the ports on this cruise.

Judy it sounds as though you took and excursion to Dunns River Falls, is that correct?

If so, then you were not subject to the harrassment that one faces when walking the area from the ship.

Mike:)

Yes, we took an excursion through the ship to the falls and Coyoba Gardens. After that we walked from the ship to Island Village shopping area. We weren't bother there either. We really had no problems with vendors in Ocho Rios.

Dietemann...how did you find out the stop was in Montego Bay and not Ocho Rios?

I'm booked on the 11/30 Island Princess and that itinerary has Montego Bay as the Jamaica port. The 11/20 stop is Ocho Rios. Of course, all that can change if Princess has a change of heart.

I'll be doing the partial canal transit on the Island Princess in April. Taking the excursion through the rest of the canal really interests me. Is the bus air conditioned that takes you back to the ship? How long is the bus ride back to the ship and where do you get the bus? Is the bus comfortable?

Also, I've heard that Princess was going to stop going to Ocho Rios and go to Montego Bay. Has anyone else heard this? I had stories of many crusiers unhappy with Ocho Rios because of too many vendors and drugs being offered to cruise passengers. Just wondering?

Thanks.

Hi David,

When you leave your ship in Gatun Lake you will be transported by bus to the Pacific side where you will go through Miraflores, Pedro Miguel Locks and Gaillard Cut. You then will be taken back to Cristobal by bus. The buses did have air-co. Now that the new road is open across the Isthmus it should be a nicer ride for a good part of the way. The ride could take as long as 1.5 hours each way. On this tour you do not see the Gatun to Gamboa portion of the Canal, which is the 20 miles of channel across Gatun Lake. Having locked through Gatun Locks and the doing the Pacific Locks along with Gaillard Cut, you will have been through about 75% of the Canal.

This is an excellent tour since you will have seen the lock operation from a large Panamax ship and then see it from a smaller vessel. Two completely different perspectives! Gaillard Cut is where the bulk of the excavation took place in the construction of the Canal.

We will be on the November 20 Island Princess Panama Canal cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale which does a partial transit. I read on CC that the ship goes through the locks and then anchors in Gatun Lake from which passengers are tendered to shore for excursions. Then the ship returns through the locks and ports at Cristobal Pier. If you go on an excursion from Gatun Lake do you get transported back to meet the ship at Cristobal or do you return to the ship before it does the return trip through the locks? Also, any advice on excursions for this itinerary which includes Aruba, Cartagena,Colon,Limon Costa Rica, and Ocho Rios will be appreciated.

DiJo, I forget to mention a very nice excursion in Ocho Rios, if you do dock there. It is Annandale Great House & Coyaba River Gardens. The tour is composed of about 12-15 people, A/C van. It takes you into the countryside, to Annadale House which you tour. Then we had a surprised lunch in the diningroom, very elegantly done. On the way back, we stopped at Coyaba Gardens, interesting and not a lot of walking. No vendors on this tour, just a loop from the ship and back. Very well done, and glad we did it.

The other nice tour we had in Limon, Costa Rica is not longer offered. It was a river safari cruise and nice lunch in the forest. Really enjoyed Costa Rica, and I hope you find an excursion there that suits your tastes.

Joleen

We will be on the November 20 Island Princess Panama Canal cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale which does a partial transit. I read on CC that the ship goes through the locks and then anchors in Gatun Lake from which passengers are tendered to shore for excursions. Then the ship returns through the locks and ports at Cristobal Pier. If you go on an excursion from Gatun Lake do you get transported back to meet the ship at Cristobal or do you return to the ship before it does the return trip through the locks?

You will be transported back to meet the ship at Cristobal

You must take the tour thru the locks. It is the best, you can reach out and touch the walls. The bus had AC that took us back to the ship. I would pack a lite rain coats as we did hit rain that day but stayed out side to see the locks. The rain coat was $1.00 at the dollar tree and it did the job.

Have a wonderful trip.

Rita

JAMAICA: I have hired Wentworth Pearson for an all-day, customized tour. I have not picked out all the stops yet.

Here is a link to Trip Advisor reviews of his wonderful tour service:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...s_Jamaica.html

What do you want to do? Here is a link to his website:

http://www.wentworthtours.com/

I am crazy to go to Mystic Mountain and do the Canopy zipline.

I also would like to see the Coyaba River Gardens. We had about 8 pax (which is the perfect tour group) IMHO. I took my DD for her 50th birthday on the Ruby Princess Inaugural. We had such a good time and felt very safe and well-taken care of by Wentworth. He really knows his island and will customize your tour to take you to any of the sights you would like to see. Lots of information on his website.

I have WENTWORTH booked for: Tuesday 27 April 2010 for 6 hours, 9:30 to 3:30. He will show us a really good time.

Fair Winds and Following seas.

:cool::cool::D:cool::cool:

I am using Lee Miles (Mr. Emerald) in Cartagena. He has rave reviews in the Ports threads. I copied the following from his e-mail to me: Leland@MisterEmerald.com Website: http://www.MisterEmerald.com

My name is Lee Miles. I provide help with private tours of Cartagena at the request passengers who are planning to visit aboard cruise ships calling in this port and who want more flexibility and/or personal attention for their Cartagena shore excursions. I have actually been involved in tour planning and operations for many years, but arranging private tours for couples and small groups is something new.

I need to say at the outset that I only arrange the tours: I develop a tour timing to match the interests of the group, arrange for the guide and driver, and get the transportation into the port so that it is available right at the foot of the gangway alongside the ship. I am not your guide, but will make sure you get the best available guides. Except for unusual circumstances I will be there to meet you at the gangway to get you started on a great day in Cartagena.

One other clarification: my 'day job' is as an emerald guy. My store, Mister Emerald, is located upstairs at the Pierino Gallo Center. But be assured that I know how to keep my emerald business and my tour business separate, so you won't find that all of my tours somehow ALWAYS end up at Mister Emerald.

You can choose to either do “photo stops” at the sites and monuments, or to pay the fees and enter for a full tour of each. I charge in advance for the sites that we include on our final tour timing, and pre-pay them so that we have no delays or payment problems to gain access. A “normal” tour, without rushing, might include1-3 sites/monuments.

An extensive historical tour of Cartagena including some shopping can be accomplished in 4 hours. If you are planning to have lunch, however, you should figure on 5 hours or a bit more. Normal pricing is made on the basis of a 4-hour tour. I have done tours that ran a full 8 hours, with a morning tour, lunch, and then additional sites in the afternoon. But you should understand that in the heat and humidity of Cartagena you need to be sure to take it easy and not overtax yourself physically.

There is one thing about the timing that is not obvious. Between the various sites/monuments that you visit we need to allow for driving time. Everything is pretty close together in Cartagena, so none of these segments will run much more than 15 to 20 minutes. The transportation segments will be shown on your tour timing.[/b]

:D:D;):D:D

Archived