late for dinner in MDR?

So my husband and I have now gone to the MTD because of passengers like that. I am really looking forward to a table for two. Not taking any formal wear this next cruise and not worrying who shows up when.

I am confused...formal wear is not needed with MTD?

OP,

When people are late for dinner, it is a pain to the waiters as mentioned previously. I'm sure you understand the reasoning. If you know you will have trouble one night because of your excursion, that might be the perfect night to go to the Portofino or Chops. We usually make our reservations for those restaurants on nights when we have excursions that might run later.

We tell our table mates and waiter, if we aren't there by 10 minutes after the scheduled dinner time, don't look for us. If we know we are not going to go to the dining room for dinner because we are going to Portofino etc. we tell our table mates and waitstaff the night before. That way, no one is waiting for us. I don't like to be kept waiting, and I don't think others do either.

Enjoy!

I think maybe she means she won't be eating in the dining room on formal nights. I'm sure Alexis will come back and clarify.

But MTD is just a sectioned off area of the main dining room so dress code suggestions do apply.

Great idea! We had a couple that was late EVERY night. Most of the nights, the waiter took our orders and began to serve before the VHM couple arrived.

This is the same couple that didn't want to tip the head waiter because, "He didn't do nothing for me, why should I pay him".

(*VHM = Very High Maintenance).

They were correct- the head waiter "didn't do nothing (sic)" I'm sure! I'm sure he did something such as watching out for them, fretting over his service times and his serving all the meals correctly, and so on.

Perhaps this VHM couple needed gentle education as to what the difficulties were when they arrived late? Perhaps they're just bumpkins who have never traveled out of their backwoods hamlet (judging by the poor grammar of "didn't do nothing") and once they realized that others were waiting on them they might have made more effort to be timely? Then again......maybe not? LOL

I think maybe she means she won't be eating in the dining room on formal nights. I'm sure Alexis will come back and clarify.

But MTD is just a sectioned off area of the main dining room so dress code suggestions do apply.

We had MTD on our last cruise, the couple at the table next to us on our first night told the head waiter they would be dining in the WJ on formal night - he told them how they were dressed for dinner (sun dress for her and polo and Khakis for him wer fine.

On our last cruise, the table next to us, every night they were anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes late! I couldn't believe how rude these people were! Our waiter served them, although he barely smiled at them. Later in the cruise he said he can't refuse to serve them, but they sure put a spin on his timing of serving the courses.

Its rude and inconsiderate to show up late. I agree with others, you know your dining time. ;)

Yes, it is. Just not for me. I plan on eating in the Windjammer on the Formal nights. We are trying out a whole new cruise experience after all these many cruises and years. :D And we can't wait. ;)

You are going to love MTD. We did it last May on the Explorer. It was great. We never made reservations. We showed up for dinner between 6:15 and 7:00. We never had to wait to be seated. We always got a table for 2. Dinner was quicker, but never rushed. Service was excellent.

Thanks for the information. ;)

We are really looking forward to it. Table for two as we had on our last 2 cruises and the same on MTD. We will show up at the same time each night and probably have the same wait staff. I understand you can do that and request it.

I will explain my no formal wear. :D

I have posted this on the boards many times in the last few months. With the luggage restrictions, our age, too many things to drag, no formal wear is going with us.

I am not taking formal wear for the first time in 27 cruises. We are eating in the Windjammer on Formal Nights and looking forward to casual dining there. ;)

On our last cruise, the table next to us, every night they were anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes late! I couldn't believe how rude these people were! Our waiter served them, although he barely smiled at them. Later in the cruise he said he can't refuse to serve them, but they sure put a spin on his timing of serving the courses.

Its rude and inconsiderate to show up late. I agree with others, you know your dining time. ;)

We had that on Adventure...three tables together and us, all under one server...we were there on time the other three tables came in as they pleased (polite version) and our waiter waited for everyone at all tables to be seated before he would serve anyone...at least until I made it clear to him the other tables were not to delay our dining.

Yes, it is. Just not for me. I plan on eating in the Windjammer on the Formal nights. We are trying out a whole new cruise experience after all these many cruises and years. :D And we can't wait. ;)

I was on Grandeur last week and had MTD. We noticed many people while dressed nicely (women in casual dresses and men in slacks and shirt/no tie) but not truly formal. I don't think it had anything to do with MTD just their choice and no one stopped them.

Why would you be late? You know what time dinner is....plan to get there!

Excursions, Captain party, getting kids ready but is it really any of your business? Sometimes being late is unavoidbale if you don't sit by the MDR waiting for it to open. So if that happens what are you options, seat or not seat, get served or not.

After a certain point, they won't seat you.....or if they do, they (and you) will be rushed....

Just don't be late!

Don't you own a watch or are you incapable of reading it? Just rude, people can run behind and now is the time to find out about the do and don'ts.

DON

The purpose of the board is to get answers before going. Again no dumb question just some of the usual bottom of the barel answers....JMOP!

OP - to answer you question the the best of my knowledge, yes! In my experience they start serving the appetizers and you will have to play catch-up.

Since I dine with kids we are usually quick to order because they are often dismissed by a certain time for the kids club.

However some diners are the ones on here that will skin you alive, give you the evil eye, insult you and call you names. Luckily I have never sat with any and neither will you.

Archived