Bad food on Silversea?

40cub

The next time you go to Melbourne, you should go to the Westin, and order "sea scallop pizza" at the hotel's restaurant. It was only A$15 in March, 2001. We watched the "Annie" musical right across the street at the Regent Theatre (it was much more "accessible" for the non-athletic than the Opera House in Sydney).

By the way, while in Sydney for a week, an Oriental taxi driver took us to "Chinatown" to this "Golden Tong" (?) restaurant to try different food. It had perhaps two dozen water tanks holding all imaginable sea creatures presumed to be edible. We even tried "abalone" (taken out from a shell). Living in Sydney, you must have tried them too!

I'll keep it in mind. I like Westins.

Would it be the Golden Century in Sydney that you visited? That has the fish tanks. No, never tried abalone!

Cheers

ging466

It was the one right on the main Chinatown street, in the middle intersection street corner. They said it was the biggest in town, which Oriental taxi drivers would take customers to.

By the way, the Westin Melbourne is on Collins Street. We heard some of the floors could be purchased or leased as apartments. The hotel rooms are large, we measured it at 443 sq.ft. The bathroom had a special "rain forest fountain shower head" (?) which was very nice. Things were really economical in 2000, when caffee cost only A$2.25, (then US$1.1). It was great pricing, folksy people and fresh seafood (very little salt was used, since there was no need for preservation!) One more question, unlike Sydney, Melbourne is 30 miles from the seashore. Why did they not build the city closer to shore, do you know? That would make it easier for the lucky cruisers!

No, never tried abalone!

Cheers

ging466

Ah, me. Abalone is an absolutely wonderful shellfish, which I used to order all the time on Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. It's endangered now, so you can only get farmed product in the USA, I believe. Imagine a thick cherrystone clam, 6-10 inches in diameter, with a flavor somewhere in between clam, chicken, and snail. We used to eat it as Sashimi or pound it into steaks and saute them. Yum.

I believe California does not permit abalone to be shipped out of state. :mad:

Maybe I'll plan a trip to the coast. And from there I could go to Australia and compare varieties of abalone. That sounds like a worthwhile project. :)

Perhaps you folks should try to pre-order abalone for your inaugural crossing on the Spirit -- those of you in the roll call should notify Silversea a month (instead of a day) ahead of time, and call it "inaugural crossing delicacy" and try it together. See if they will comply (a good public relations advertisement for them) .. meow!

One more question, unlike Sydney, Melbourne is 30 miles from the seashore. Why did they not build the city closer to shore, do you know? That would make it easier for the lucky cruisers!

Melbourne CBD isactually only a mile or 2 from the sea, Port Phillip Bay, and there are many beachside suburbs stretching down the Bay for 40 miles. The ocean is about 60 miles away. It was settled where it was for access to fresh drinking water. End of geography and history lesson! ;)

SantaAna,

Jane, you are about my age (I'm 59) and I was wondering if you've lived in Santa Ana area all your life? I graduated from Tustin in '68 and thought we might be classmates...or maybe you went to Foothill?

Greg

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. No, I moved to Orange County in the 70's; I went to Temple City High School, in Temple City, CA.

*smile*

Jane

Archived