Bad food on Silversea?

40cub

I'm 58 and have been on several Seabourn cruises. I have met a few couples younger, many the same age, many more older. Seabourn is not a party ship. It's like being on someone's private yacht (at only 208 people, that is how one feels!). Quiet, peaceful. Luxury all the way, from the incredible cabins to the white gloved waiters. I love the line.

Uh oh. They say if a woman tells you her age....she'll tell you anything.

Jane :eek:

I'm not sure that there is an average age across the board for any of the luxury cruise lines. Although there is no doubt that they attract an older crowd than the mass market lines, the average age is somewhat dependent on the time of year, the itinerary and the pricing of a specific cruise. For example, on our recent 12 day cruise on the Shadow to Alaska, we brought the average age down (we're in our early 60's). On the next cruise on the Shadow to Mexico which was 9 days, we probably brought the average age up. It was a younger crowd - many in their 40's. The pricing was quite attractive, and the itinerary was round trip from LA.

Just because people are older doesn't mean they aren't fun. We totally enjoyed sailing with a 90 year old and his lovely wife last December. I wish I had his energy!

We are real foodies and would be pretty unhappy with both of those situations. Thanks for all input!!

It depends on your expectations. If you expect the Michelin three-star standards, then you'll be disappointed. But if you are realistic and understand the handicap they work under, then SS food is usually very good. Remember they can't get fresh supplies every day, and they are feeding 400 people three times a day, instead of 50 diners once a day at $200+ a pop, so it's not fair to expect a top land-based restaurant experience.

I live in San Francisco, and naturally my standard is very high. That said I think SS does an excellent job, considering. Service is very good, too. But I wouldn't take a cruise for a real gourmet experience no matter which line.

I like this discussion of pax ages - It is so much more civil than the ongoing smoking debates on this thread. There is nothing we can do about our ages, young or old, we are who we are and we can all enjoy our cruises in our own ways without affecting others. (:-)

[quote name=simonv;

I live in San Francisco' date=' and naturally my standard is very high. [/quote]

How does living in SF make your standards any higher than the rest of us poor people who do not live there?

My first Silversea cruise in July of '08 was a bad food experience. Here is what I wrote at the time:

"Food: Bland. Really bland. I’m not a “foodie” sort of ferret and have no interest in caviar or truffles and so forth, so I’m not whining about the fois gras, but the food was very poor. To give three examples, the sea bass was very stinky both times it was served and the wiener schnitzel had too much breading and no flavor. One night we had hamburgers from room service and they were absolutely flavorless! I don’t even care for highly spiced foods, but every night was a disappointment with one exception: lasagna night. This was the best lasagna I’ve ever had, including in Italy. But every other night I left the table hungry and disappointed. I’m sorry to say that this was the worst, most tasteless food in all my thirty cruises."

Six months later on another Silversea cruise, the quality was much improved. It also helped to ask the headwaiter or dining room manager what was good that night and what to avoid.

I am very pleased to hear such glowing reports on SS regarding the food. I, too, was surprised to see some grumbles by some of the Cruise Critic posters in this regard as it seems inconceivable that a line of this type would so popular without wonderful food and service!

The reason I described Seabourn "stuffy" is that although my husband and I are very outgoing people, we found that most folks on our particular cruise were in cliques and didn't mingle much with twosomes which we were. When we don't meet new people on a trip it is a disappointment as we find that is as much of the experience as the trip itself. The other cruises we took for whatever reason seemed to have a less tight group of passengers and were more readily open to meeting someone new. Naturally I understand that this could have been an aberration, and I would never assume SS to be the same experience.

I jsut returned from the shadow on 10/12 from a 9 night voyage. I went alone and was extremely pleased that although I was the youngest passanger that paid his own way at 33 years old, I was quite accecpted by all of the other passangers. Most were curious as to why I chose SS, and I promptly stated that I had done my reasearch and spoke to many fans on CC. THe food was to my tase and extremely good. I dined in all of the venus on the shadow, and to my taste the food in Le Champange was the best tasting, as in Michelin quality. However I was never let down in the reasturaunt or La Terrazza, I may not have cared for something that I tried, but that does not mean the item was not prepared correctly, and I was always offered another choice. I did venture out on some dishes and was impressed by everything. I would say that my overall cruise experience was 5/5, the leading componets of that rating to me were the service and food.

I'm not sure that there is an average age across the board for any of the luxury cruise lines. Although there is no doubt that they attract an older crowd than the mass market lines, the average age is somewhat dependent on the time of year, the itinerary and the pricing of a specific cruise. For example, on our recent 12 day cruise on the Shadow to Alaska, we brought the average age down (we're in our early 60's). On the next cruise on the Shadow to Mexico which was 9 days, we probably brought the average age up. It was a younger crowd - many in their 40's. The pricing was quite attractive, and the itinerary was round trip from LA.

Just because people are older doesn't mean they aren't fun. We totally enjoyed sailing with a 90 year old and his lovely wife last December. I wish I had his energy!

We just did the Shadow in Alaska too. I am mid 50s and my husband early 60s. We had many people our age and younger on our particular cruise. Very fun bunch - no matter the age!

What age group would you characterize as the average Seabourn cruiser? We are in our early 50's...

Jane has it right. You will find that the majority of the passengers are in late 50's, 60's and 70's (more in their 60's and 70's than 50's). At the same time you'll find some who are younger and some who are older than these ages.

In the summer months you will find the overall age a somehwhat younger and the same is true for shorter voyages.

Keith

The food on SS is inconsistent at times, spectacular at others. We have also sailed on the ships you mention and on our last WindStar the food was very disappointing. We sailed on Cruise West last fall and found the food to be barely acceptable. So, there you have my opinion. We are also loyal SS frequent floaters but I am not averse to complaining when things aren't done well or the food is subpar. Enjoy!

Agree with you totally here. I would have to say that SS food is generally very good but there are certainly some inconsistent moments which we found most apparent when the Chef attempted some form of cuisine to complement the day's port of call such as strip loin with chocolate mole sauce. I tried it (always want to try something new) but it didn't work for my taste buds. Likewise the English Bacon at breakfast which was seemingly boiled. The coffee we have discussed before so we will leave that.

Overall I would rate the SS food as 7.5/10 and slightly higher in the specialty restaurants. I keep on going back, so I guess it must be good !

I jsut returned from the shadow on 10/12 from a 9 night voyage. I went alone and was extremely pleased that although I was the youngest passanger that paid his own way at 33 years old, I was quite accecpted by all of the other passangers. Most were curious as to why I chose SS, and I promptly stated that I had done my reasearch and spoke to many fans on CC. THe food was to my tase and extremely good. I dined in all of the venus on the shadow, and to my taste the food in Le Champange was the best tasting, as in Michelin quality. However I was never let down in the reasturaunt or La Terrazza, I may not have cared for something that I tried, but that does not mean the item was not prepared correctly, and I was always offered another choice. I did venture out on some dishes and was impressed by everything. I would say that my overall cruise experience was 5/5, the leading componets of that rating to me were the service and food.

And to think I actually used to find the Chicken A La King MRE's quite

tasty ! :D

Agree with you totally here. I would have to say that SS food is generally very good but there are certainly some inconsistent moments which we found most apparent when the Chef attempted some form of cuisine to complement the day's port of call such as strip loin with chocolate mole sauce. I tried it (always want to try something new) but it didn't work for my taste buds. Likewise the English Bacon at breakfast which was seemingly boiled. The coffee we have discussed before so we will leave that.

Overall I would rate the SS food as 7.5/10 and slightly higher in the specialty restaurants. I keep on going back, so I guess it must be good !

Ultimately it is subjective. . . . I really enjoy the English Bacon while Mrs. Rally doesn't care for it. She really enjoys the corned beef hash and I, well, avoid it =) I think I would have ordered the strip loin without sauce =)

Having recently completed B2B Silversea we feel that the topics of food & age are very subjective depending on what you expect.

Food: After reading and being told of the wonderful food available on Silversea we were very disappointed, but that had a lot to do with the chef. Some meals were good, some were awful. eg. Shepherds Pie, 1 inch thick mashed potato, warm, and half an inch very poor mince COLD. A lot of the dishes just did not match the menu descriptions.

I am still trying to figure how an Italian Restaurant, La Terrazza, can call itself Italian without a Minestrone, (or any soup whatsoever), and no Lasagne on the menu.

Age: That is a very subjective discussion, my wife is far more open and friendly than I, and she has met wonderful people aged from 90 to 40, all bring "something to the table", that is of interest and continues our learning.

• 2 weeks later...

Seabourn. Just had foodie friends come back from the Seaourn Odyssey and said it was better than the food on the Seabourn triplets -if that is possible. We were lucky enough to be on a Seabourn ship when Charlie Palmer was on for a few days - and the food has been as good if not better than his short visit. SS has better itineraries that Seabourn, but for food, Seabourn has SS beat for sure.

Sometimes food in the same restaurant varies. At Christmas in 2007, right after our Panama Canal voyage aboard the Shadow, we stayed four days in Fort Lauderdale before going home. On that seashore shopping street, we ate one dinner on 25th December, it was "seafood plate" with two half lobsters, lots of other stuff, really yummy. Then the very next (and last night), just to repeat the experience, we went back to that restaurant and ordered the same dish. For the same price (around $50 for two), this time it was "watery", not too good.

The male cat was wondering why. The female cat had a theory, probably the chef was in for the 25th December, but took off the following night, leaving it to whoever was there. Perhaps the female cat was right?! Or perhaps it was natural variation, which could happen anywhere, on land and at sea?!

We just returned from BTB London-Reykjavik-Montreal on our first Silversea after TA Seabourn last year and many years of loyalty to Regent. We found the food/liquor/wine choices and quality excellent and the service outstanding. I too was surprised at Conde-Nast's ranking of Silversea but chalk it up to not knowing who's submitting the reviews, and their mistake in comparing different boats/ships in the classification.

I wonder why no one mentions Oceania. We sailed 24 days on the Nautica inaugural and found the food quality and choices very good. They have an Italian and steakhouse speciality restaurants; the menu never changes, but it's large and very good. Of course, you must purchase wine and spirits. And the standard staterooms are wee; you should opt for a penthouse which are the size of standard suites on Silversea, Seabourn, and Regent. But the price is competitive. Having given all that praise, I would return to Silversea unless Oceania had an itinerary I favored which was the case when we sailed with them.

I wonder why no one mentions Oceania. We sailed 24 days on the Nautica inaugural and found the food quality and choices very good. They have an Italian and steakhouse speciality restaurants; the menu never changes, but it's large and very good. Of course, you must purchase wine and spirits. And the standard staterooms are wee; you should opt for a penthouse which are the size of standard suites on Silversea, Seabourn, and Regent. But the price is competitive. Having given all that praise, I would return to Silversea unless Oceania had an itinerary I favored which was the case when we sailed with them.

Oceania was listed under the "Large Ship Lines" Category:-

1. Crystal 92.7

2. RSSC 90.5

3. Cunard 90.1

4. Oceania 86.0

5. Celebrity 81.1

Having sailed all except Cunard we agree with these findings, a lot more accurate than their "Small Ship" survey results and are completely in agreement with your assessment in the previous post.

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your SS experience, thanks for sharing.

... you should opt for a penthouse which are the size of standard suites on Silversea, Seabourn, and Regent. But the price is competitive... .
We agree that Oceania is a very good cruise line. However, its pricing has generally increased at twice the rate of the others in the half dozen years since its inception. As we posted before, Oceania's Caribbean pricing is generally higher than Silversea's. Its Asia-Pacific itinerary pricings are already roughly on par, and its Mediterranean/Scandinavia itineraries pricing is catching up fast, and this is despite the economic tsunami. Unless the introduction of its two large newbuilds presents self-competition, the trend shows that it is plausible that Oceania is becoming a fully "premium" line, in price as well !

P.S. We asked on the Oceania column how people are willing to pay so much for Oceania, and several posters indicated that they are willing to pay even $2,000 per couple per voyage more than for Silversea just to get the no smoking, no formal nights rules. We are not commenting on the benefits or drawbacks to those rules, each to his/her own. We are just pointing out that there is a huge group of Oceania fans willing to support its ever fast increasing pricing for some reason. Perhaps some business management schools would like to make it a case for research!

We will only be able to comment on the differences between SS and "O" when we have completed our February/ March voyage.We know it will be a memorable experience.

Our experience on 4 "O" cruises has been excellent and indeed we did enjoy the smoke free atmosphere, the "country club" casualness, excellent cuisine, attentive staff, cleanliness and general ambiance of the ships.

In the meantime, "O" seem to be doing very well with many of their 2010 itineraries sold out in several categories. We hope that they do "graduate" to a full luxury line. They, IMHO, have all the makings thereof.:):):)

Archived