Marriage Licence Needed?

sobern2003

I am going on a cruise on the Imagination November2. I will be departing from Miami and going to Key West and Cozumel,and returning to Miami.I don t have a passport. I know I need my drivers licence and birth certificate. Do I need my marriage licence to show proof of why the name on my birth certificate is different from the name on my drivers licence? Thanks in advance.

NEED?

99.9% of the time NO

However, I have read horror stories of that 1 person that needed it and didn't have it.

We always take a manila folder with us that has copies of all e-mail correspondance, copies of hotel res confirmations, rental confirmations, all documentation for cruising, credit card statements to prove any payments, etc,etc (we have had to use this documentation a few times to prove something while traveling),,,so why not a marriage license.

Of course we got passports and no longer need the marriage license, but in your case,,,,why not just take it also.

Prior to getting passports I always took my marriage license. My very first cruise I went with my best friend, being booked together, we checked in together. The lady at the counter breezed right thru my married friend's paperwork not asking for her marriage license at all. When it was my turn she suddenly required a marriage license. Luckily we both had them, but for some reason only I needed one, lol. Since then I had only been asked one other time before I got my passport. I suggest taking it, better safe than sorry.

No.......as long as your name on your cruise docs matches your drivers license you are good to go........

To OP,

Since this poster has told you emphatically that you do not need it nor will it be required, if by chance you do get denied boarding, feel free to contact this poster and they will gladly reimburse you for any lost monies..:D ;)

unless they claim that any advise received from this site is worth exactly what you paid for it

There is nowhere on your cruise docs that says marriage license is required........if someone asks for one call for a supervisor........

Here this might help.........

U.S. citizens taking “closed-loop” cruises are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required. Canadian and Bermudian citizens are required to have a passport for air, land and sea travel, including all Carnival cruises.

Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking “closed loop” cruises, we strongly recommend all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Having a passport will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port in the event they miss their scheduled embarkation or to fly back to the U.S. if they need to disembark the ship mid-cruise due to an emergency.

Kurbanfan,

I was just having a little fun with ya. I'm just very reluctant to provide 100% emphatic responses. Whether the answer is Yes, or No, I leave wiggle room. That's why I said 99.9%. You always have that possibility of a low wage employee on a power trip just as you see at TSA at the airport.

the following is from Carnival's web site:

© Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. It is the guest’s sole responsibility to bring and have available at all times all required travel documents. Guests are advised to check with their travel agent or the appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents. Any guest traveling without proper documentation will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued.

Proper travel documents could also mean that you have to prove your identity beyond a doubt. A passport proves your identity beyond a doubt.

A drivers license with the name Smith along with a birth certificate that says Jones, leaves lots of doubt.

Of course, if your willing to put in writing that your willing to reimburse the OP for any lost monies if the OP takes your advise and then is denied boarding or re-entry back into the States or for any delay therein,,,,,,,be my guest

Kurbanfan,

I was just having a little fun with ya. I'm just very reluctant to provide 100% emphatic responses. Whether the answer is Yes, or No, I leave wiggle room. That's why I said 99.9%. You always have that possibility of a low wage employee on a power trip just as you see at TSA at the airport.

the following is from Carnival's web site:

© Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. It is the guest’s sole responsibility to bring and have available at all times all required travel documents. Guests are advised to check with their travel agent or the appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents. Any guest traveling without proper documentation will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued.

Proper travel documents could also mean that you have to prove your identity beyond a doubt. A passport proves your identity beyond a doubt.

A drivers license with the name Smith along with a birth certificate that says Jones, leaves lots of doubt.

Of course, if your willing to put in writing that your willing to reimburse the OP for any lost monies if the OP takes your advise and then is denied boarding or re-entry back into the States or for any delay therein,,,,,,,be my guest

You don't even need a marriage license to apply for a passport, only your b.c and government id..........you certainly don't need a marriage certificate to go on a cruise.........

My wife needed hers when she went to the post office to apply for her first passport.

My daughter needed hers after she got married when she applied for a name change on her original passport at the post office.

Maybe it doesn't matter in all instances but to once again claim that since it doesn't apply to your experience, that it will never apply to anybodies experience is seriously mistaken.

My wife needed hers when she went to the post office to apply for her first passport.

My daughter needed hers after she got married when she applied for a name change on her original passport at the post office.

Maybe it doesn't matter in all instances but to once again claim that since it doesn't apply to your experience, that it will never apply to anybodies experience is seriously mistaken.

You only need it for a name change.......

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

I give up... You've beaten me down.

You can probably write your name in the snow bigger than I can. :eek:

I'm reminded of a quote from somewhere.

"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken" :D

Wouldn't you think if you needed to bring it that the cruise lines would require it:confused:

NEED?

99.9% of the time NO

However, I have read horror stories of that 1 person that needed it and didn't have it.

We always take a manila folder with us that has copies of all e-mail correspondance, copies of hotel res confirmations, rental confirmations, all documentation for cruising, credit card statements to prove any payments, etc,etc (we have had to use this documentation a few times to prove something while traveling),,,so why not a marriage license.

Of course we got passports and no longer need the marriage license, but in your case,,,,why not just take it also.

I scan all of our important doc's onto a flash drive (insurance, birth certificate, passport, etc.) and copy all emails and cruise info onto it as well.

I just got off of a cruise a week and a half ago and I didn't take a marriage cert with me and I didn't have any problems using my birth cert and drivers license. I plan on getting a passport before I sail again so I won't have to take my birth cert with me anymore.

Archived