Glacier Bay, 2 ships enter 1 hour apart?

Sailkeywest

I noticed that on the day we will be in Glacier Bay (Sept 22), that the Golden Princess will be entering the bay at 0600 and our ship (the Zuiderdam) will be entering the bay at 0700. My question is, do they enter from opposite sides of the bay? How do they manage viewing times at the Glaciers? I read that someone posted once (room010) that he went around the bay on the starboard side. Would one of the ships go around on the starboard side opposite the other ship?

Does anybody have any experience with this to enlighten me? Thank you, as always :)

Thank you for the photo, it is beautiful :) But what I mean is that one cruise ship cannot follow the other, as I *believe* that there are only 3 major lookout points in the bay? I don't really know how they do it, like how do they time themselves to be at different places, and since we will be arriving after they will be, where would that put us in the bay if they go to the first glacier for a few hours. As in perhaps, we would possibly going in the opposite direction? :s

Hi,

I M O ....I beleive access to the Park is granted and regulated by the USFS officers or the Park Guides.

They, I beleive, never allow more than one ship at a time within the park. You can have 3 ships a day....!!! but not more than one at a time. Total relaxed viewing time is approx 4 hours , + / - ....IMO, all vessels follow a certain habitual ritual: enter, sail in, stop , do a couple of 180s, sail on , repeat at the next Glacier, ect...

My opinion only, of course.

Cheers

There were two cruise ships that barely saw each other (one Princess and HAL). Each had ample time to stop at each glacier with unobstructed views. Ships are only allowed to proceed at very slow speed within the park, partly not to disturb wilflife and partly due to some floating ice.

There were also two or three much smaller daytrip excursion boats, but they did not get in the way at all.

It is an impressive and majestic locale, and you will feel that you have the glacier all to yourself when your ship pulls up to the Marjerie Glacier. You will be close enough to hear the cracking and breaking within the glacier as calving occurs.

As the ship stops at Marjerie Glacier, more and more passengers will discover the excellent view from the forward lookouts on decks 4 and 5 (Westerdam). Get their early. Most passengers will be in the open bow area (except those who get to the Crow's Nest very early), and any of these areas is very good for observation.

We did Glacier Bay with the Noordam. We were on the Statendam. We only saw each other once but never near a glacier. It is slow paced and very peaceful. A park ranger hops on the ship to accompany you through this bay.There are many laws that need to be followed. I remember one HAL ship started a BBQ on deck for the sailaway and got fined for pollution.

My question is, do they enter from opposite sides of the bay? How do they manage viewing times at the Glaciers?
There is only one end to go in and out ... at the south. One ship will go to Margerie Glacier first and the other will go somplace else ... quite likely Johns Hopkins Glacier. After 90 minutes or so they will switch positions, passing around Russell Island.

Go to http://www.nps.gov/glba/planyourvisit/maps.htm and click on the small map to enlarge it.

Thank you all for the information and the new map! I look at Alaska maps a lot :) I am having a bit of difficulty finding Russell Island, but will keep looking.

The Zuiderdam will more than likely have to start with a different glacier than the Princess, due to the fact that we will be arriving an hour after them? And if so, will we still arrive at Marjorie on the port side first? I know, I know, nothing is a guarantee, just wondering if anything is flip-flopped if the zuiderdam has to start with a different glacier. Thank you, as always

Safe Travels :)

Thank you all for the information and the new map! I look at Alaska maps a lot :) I am having a bit of difficulty finding Russell Island, but will keep looking.

The Zuiderdam will more than likely have to start with a different glacier than the Princess, due to the fact that we will be arriving an hour after them? And if so, will we still arrive at Marjorie on the port side first? I know, I know, nothing is a guarantee, just wondering if anything is flip-flopped if the zuiderdam has to start with a different glacier. Thank you, as always

Safe Travels :)

There are 2 sides, widely spaced (as you've seen by the map(s)) The first ship enters from one side and begins its circumnavigation of Glacier Bay from the opening all the way to Marjorie Glacier. The other ship follows approximately 1 hour later following in the other ships steps, if you can call it that, cannot really call it a wake because the ships do not move fast enough to really create a wake.

Anyway they literally follow each other 1 hour apart. All of the glaciers are on the same side of the Bay except fpr Marjorie Glacier, which was at the end of the bay.

Picture it like a small glass shaped like this: \_/ the right side of the glass being the starboard hugging coast the _ part of the glass is Marjorie Glacier and the \ side of the glass is the port side of the ship.

The 1st ship then traverses up the way it came except that it does it on the opposite side of Glacier Bay that it came in from.

By the way they did the same for Hubbards Glacier when we were there 2 years ago. Just no glacier there named Marjorie.

Joanie

Very detailed and visual description, Joanie! Thank you for taking the time to help me to see it. It's just been my dream to make it to Alaska for so long, I guess that I have a tendency to want to know everything. :P

Sailkeywest, I am the same and need detailed descriptions to understand:)

I think alot of people tend to gloss over the details because they do not understand just how many of us want exacting details.

The glass was the only way I could figure out how to give what I thought you wanted. Glad to see it was:D

Joanie

On the NPS map at that link, you have zoom in on the inset in the lower left corner to see Russell Island. It's at the junction of the Tarr Inlet that goes up to Margerie (not Majorie or Marjory) Glacier and the Johns Hopkins Inlet that goes to the Johns Hopkins Glacier. If you would like a pdf of a map that I think is better to find things on, send me your email address. (see my signature.)

And if so, will we still arrive at Marjorie on the port side first?
When you are arriving at Margerie Glacier the best view will be at the 10 o'clock position (with the 12 o'clock being straight ahead) and the ship will stay in that position for a long time before starting a slow rotation. If you send me your email, I can send some pics approaching Margerie, at Johns Hopkins, etc.

Does anyone remember if you were in Glacier Bay for the length of time listed in your itinerary? Or was it for a shorter time?

We arrived in Glacier Bay very very early in the morning, so I can't swear we were there at whatever time we were supposed to be :D ZZZZZZZ -- but we WERE there when I got up and went out -- about 7 a.m., I think it was (at least on this last trip). Again, I can't remember the exact time we were expected to leave, but it was around that time, I'm pretty sure.

We'd been in Glacier Bay for a while when I took this pic:

glacierbaymorning.jpg.5e83439d8f016d068dd1cc33c40e3f32.jpg

Catl331, thank you for taking the time to tell me about the map and I emailed you. I really appreciate it considering people have probably asked you these questions a thousand times over by now. I love maps! :D

And thanks for posting the pic, cowprincess. I can never see enough pictures of the Bay. :)

Catl331, thank you for taking the time to tell me about the map and I emailed you. I really appreciate it considering people have probably asked you these questions a thousand times over by now. I love maps! :D

And thanks for posting the pic, cowprincess. I can never see enough pictures of the Bay. :)

We were in Glacier Bay from around 4:45 a.m. until sometime after 3 p.m.

If you really cannot get enough photos of Alaska I have some here: http://community.webshots.com/user/IRLJoanie

or here (not sure which one is which when it comes to the Web Shots albums) http://community.webshots.com/user/IRLJoanie?vhost=community

Joanie

I've sent a couple of emails with attachments. :)

Does anyone remember if you were in Glacier Bay for the length of time listed in your itinerary? Or was it for a shorter time?
From the time stamps on our pictures I'd say we were there from about 10:00a to 5:00p, but I don't know what the itinerary said it would be.

don't mean to butt in, but i saw this post under "new post" and i have a photo that might explain some of it.

we did glacier bay on the NCL star in '06. at dawn, we watch the park rangers board our ship...then their boat went to the ship that was paused a little ways further out.

the whole day they followed us, too far back to be seen. this cruise was the 2nd week in sept, cruises that late get to go all the way to john hopkins glacier. our cruise went to marjorie, first, then back tracked and turned down the route to john hopkins.

at marjorie, the other ship caught up with us...as our ship turned (to give the starboard side it's viewing time) the other ship came up between us and the glacier. our ship didn't pause, as it normally would, but kept moving out of the way of the other ship.

when we got to john hopkins, we didn't see the other ship...they must have stayed at margarie longer as to not crowded the glacier area. john hopkins has more of a ice field and less room for 2 ships.

most of the time, the ships are more staggered, but this was in sept...the lenght of daylight is less...the cruise ships have to be out of glacier bay by 5pm (dusk, in sept)

1703516036_06Headingtoothership.jpg.accea808b3685b704507658e03ab47b7.jpg

544666770_JohnHopkinskidinpool.jpg.249e0b73f6ae783ac2ad20ceb9b6189c.jpg

don't mean to butt in, but i saw this post under "new post" and i have a photo that might explain some of it.

we did glacier bay on the NCL star in '06. at dawn, we watch the park rangers board our ship...then their boat went to the ship that was paused a little ways further out.

the whole day they followed us, too far back to be seen. this cruise was the 2nd week in sept, cruises that late get to go all the way to john hopkins glacier. our cruise went to marjorie, first, then back tracked and turned down the route to john hopkins.

at marjorie, the other ship caught up with us...as our ship turned (to give the starboard side it's viewing time) the other ship came up between us and the glacier. our ship didn't pause, as it normally would, but kept moving out of the way of the other ship.

when we got to john hopkins, we didn't see the other ship...they must have stayed at margarie longer as to not crowded the glacier area. john hopkins has more of a ice field and less room for 2 ships.

most of the time, the ships are more staggered, but this was in sept...the lenght of daylight is less...the cruise ships have to be out of glacier bay by 5pm (dusk, in sept)

What butting in?? It is part of the topic and quite welcome to the OP I am sure:)

WOW!! I've never seen the ships that close before. But then again, I've only gone early-to mid May and only twice, so what do I know:D

Joanie

thanks,

i have used that photo before, on the alaska boards, to let cruiser know that for glacier bay....IF you are planning on viewing from your balcony...port side or foreward is best. you just never know what may keep the starboard/aft side from getting the same view as the port side. for our cruise, the port side got long, lingering views..the starboard got a quick view, with a ship in the way. :mad: the views are great no matter what, just better when you get a clear view of the glaciers :D

of course, the very best views are from the top/open deck!!

Dang, I just took a look at those photos of the 2 ships in Glacier bay! I have never seen a photo like that in my many, many searches for photos of ships in Glacier Bay, thanks Toyz

and Cat, I just got your emails and going through them now :) Thanks again!

during the summer, john hopkins is a birthing/pup area..protected. the ships can get in viewing area, but not too close. after early sept, the ship can get right up to the glacier...which was a good thing, that was where we saw/heard the calving. the other glaciers were quiet.

cruising, up to john hopkins, it was so quiet and still...the only sound was the ice. nothing big, just a nice ice field the ship has to go through to get close to the glacier.

the thing i liked about glacier bay: each area was different. you see forests, ice fields, different types of glaciers, snow top mountains and blue/blue water.

Archived