Free Disable parking at Miami Port

sunor

I can see why you want close dedicated handicapped parking but why should you expect that it should also be free?

I expect lots of flaming on this one.

DON

SInce this is on the disabilty board I would not expect so much flames. Also this is something that varies from place to place.

There are airports where this IS the case. if you have a HC placard or plate you qualify for free HC parking. So the question is not out of line at all.

That being the case why not ask the question? and why challenge the OP with why should you expect free parking?

If you were offered Free parking for which you were qualified by a particular place or pay parking at the same place, which would you choose?

Is there free disable parking at Miami Port? If so, how does it work? My DH has an handicap placard for our van.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Suz

Here's the link to the port of Miami. http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami/directions_parking.asp

Suggest you call the port directly to inquire, particluarly since it appears that your Daughters placacrd my be registered in Canada. Assume your daughter is traveling wtih you ? FYI - in the USA the person the the placrd is registered to MUST be entering and exiting the vehicle when the car is parked in an HC space. To use the placard without the person it's registered being present could result in costly fines.

Also, do you have not only a placard but a modified car? I have a modified car that I use to carry my Rascal scooter. It is a highlander with a bruno lift on the back. We don't take that scooter with us on cruise ships as it is simply too large - but very useful in our neighborhood and for shopping. On a cruise I use my travelscoot. The travelscoot fits into our economical Prius which has no lift of course. Therefore, I will not get free parking for our cruise but will save money on gas for the trip down to Florida and back. We figure it is about a break even proposition for us - driving 700 miles in the Prius and paying for parking or driving the Highlander and having to buy lots of gas but parking free. From Canada that calculation could definitely be different.

Here's the link to the port of Miami. http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami/directions_parking.asp

Suggest you call the port directly to inquire, particluarly since it appears that your Daughters placacrd my be registered in Canada. Assume your daughter is traveling wtih you ? FYI - in the USA the person the the placrd is registered to MUST be entering and exiting the vehicle when the car is parked in an HC space. To use the placard without the person it's registered being present could result in costly fines.

Thank you for the link, I did email them and I will post their reply at the bottom.

Also, do you have not only a placard but a modified car? I have a modified car that I use to carry my Rascal scooter. It is a highlander with a bruno lift on the back. We don't take that scooter with us on cruise ships as it is simply too large - but very useful in our neighborhood and for shopping. On a cruise I use my travelscoot. The travelscoot fits into our economical Prius which has no lift of course. Therefore, I will not get free parking for our cruise but will save money on gas for the trip down to Florida and back. We figure it is about a break even proposition for us - driving 700 miles in the Prius and paying for parking or driving the Highlander and having to buy lots of gas but parking free. From Canada that calculation could definitely be different.

From their reply, you do not need a modified van just the placard and the person holding the placard in the car at the time.

Here is their answer:

There is a short form required to be filled out for free handicapped parking. Please review the following:

There is no reserved parking at the Port of Miami. The handicapped parking form cannot be emailed, faxed, or no longer mailed to passengers. At this time, the forms can only be retrieved at the Toll Booth when entering or exiting our garages or parking lot. Please remember to bring your placard and proof of handicapped exemption with you. If you are from, in or out of state, you will be required to show you’re driver’s license to the Toll Operator, and the exempt individual must be present in the vehicle when you hand in the form.

There is no limit to the amount of days you park as long as you follow these procedures.

“Proof of Exemption.”

For example, on the Florida Placard the exempt individuals “Florida Driver License number or Florida I.D. number is embedded on the card.” Therefore, when you are at the toll booth, you can prove that the placard does in fact belong to the exempt person because it matches their number and picture. Other States follow along the same guideline or provide a registration card, embed their last 3 digit of the license number, name, last 4 digit of their Social Security number Etc…

It is always in your best interest to arrive one hour earlier “or more” than the Cruise Lines time of allowing you to board the vessel. There is a free shuttle called “International Limo of South Florida” that runs every 20 minutes from the garages/lot to the terminals and vice-versa.

When you return from your Cruise please go to the following website to take our Port of Miami Customer Service Survey: http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami/customer_service.asp. We would very much appreciate your input on your visit to the Port of Miami.

The Port of Miami prides itself on our customer service and its visitor's safety. If I can help you any further please feel free to contact me at POMservice@miamidade.gov

Hope this helps anyone going to Miami port.

Have a great day and thank you for all your responses.

Suz

That reply really doesn't answer the question about Canada (or other nations) HC identifiers.

Yes, the HC person must be in the vehicle. You can't drop the person off at the terminal and then go park the car.

It does in a way since our placard and the paper that DH carries does match the placard number and his driver's license, so we should be OK.

DH will be with me in the car and we can take the shuttle back to the terminal or he can ride his scooter. I just want to be able to drop off our luggage first as it is hard to manage by myself.

Have a great day

Suz

SInce this is on the disabilty board I would not expect so much flames. Also this is something that varies from place to place.

There are airports where this IS the case. if you have a HC placard or plate you qualify for free HC parking. So the question is not out of line at all.

That being the case why not ask the question? and why challenge the OP with why should you expect free parking?

If you were offered Free parking for which you were qualified by a particular place or pay parking at the same place, which would you choose?

My point was why they should get free parking just because they are handicapped. They should certainly get handicapped parking that makes it easier for them to cruise. But why free? If they can afford the cruise and the car to get to the cruise, they should also be able to pay for parking.

The assumption that handicapped people should get things for free just because they are handicapped is an insult to the handicapped population. This is essentially saying that they are incapable of earning enough to pay for the stuff that the rest of us pay for. Don't you feel that it is demeaning or is charity not a problem for you?

DON

My point was why they should get free parking just because they are handicapped. They should certainly get handicapped parking that makes it easier for them to cruise. But why free? If they can afford the cruise and the car to get to the cruise, they should also be able to pay for parking.

The assumption that handicapped people should get things for free just because they are handicapped is an insult to the handicapped population. This is essentially saying that they are incapable of earning enough to pay for the stuff that the rest of us pay for. Don't you feel that it is demeaning or is charity not a problem for you?

DON

AND I did not say that because someone is handicapped they SHOULD get parking for free, what I said was if that is what is offered by a state, private company or whatever, why should I say no I am going to pay for this free service.

NO I don't find it demeaning nor do I see it as charity. THOUGH I do feel that of the disabled population, there are a larger number with less income than the same demographic that has no disability. It should not be that way but it is.

If you wish to DEMAND TO PAY for free parking that is your privaledge but I don't think you have to right to condemn or challenge others who do not feel as you do.

Don,

Here is something to consider, whether you find it fair or not is up to you. There are MANY hotels in the Miami area that offer free parking during your cruise if you spend a night pre- or post-cruise with them. They offer a free shuttle bus to take you and your luggage to the pier then pick you up. The only catch is you have to be able to climb stairs and get into their bus. Is it fair that HC people are unable to take advantage of those offers because they cannot climb stairs?

I figure that offering free HC parking is only leveling the field. Instead of requiring the various hotels to offer lift-equipped buses so HC customers can park for free, the PoM has the parking at the port. Also, there won't be someone parked in the HC spot at a hotel for a week or more while on a cruise.

Don,

Here is something to consider, whether you find it fair or not is up to you. There are MANY hotels in the Miami area that offer free parking during your cruise if you spend a night pre- or post-cruise with them. They offer a free shuttle bus to take you and your luggage to the pier then pick you up. The only catch is you have to be able to climb stairs and get into their bus. Is it fair that HC people are unable to take advantage of those offers because they cannot climb stairs?

I figure that offering free HC parking is only leveling the field. Instead of requiring the various hotels to offer lift-equipped buses so HC customers can park for free, the PoM has the parking at the port. Also, there won't be someone parked in the HC spot at a hotel for a week or more while on a cruise.

That is a good theory but in fact is incorrect. IF a hotel offers free shuttle service to any of it's guests it has to offer it to disabled guests, that is the LAW.

Now this means that if you are a disabled guest that cannot climb into the bus then the Hotel MUST hire you an accessible cab and pay the bill.

They don't advertise this, nor do some of them know it, or at least the desk staff doesn't always, but when you ask for the manager and point it out, they accomodate you.

Thing is never bring it up BEFORE you book with a hotel or they will suddenly be FULL UP.

Anyway point is that Disabled guests CAN in fact take advantage of the park and fly programs at hotels.

I still hold that if a hotel offers free parking for HC guests or sometimes free Vallet for same guest, I see no reason to insist on paying for the service. Same thing if it is a public garage and that is the policy.

I also don't say HC persons are automatically entitled to free parking or anything else of the sort.

• 2 weeks later...

the whole free parking thing is because of FL state law that requires airports and cruise ship piers to offer free parking to anyone with adapted vehicles or those folks with a FL toll exemption sticker. Miami is the only place that goes BEYOND the law n by offering free parking to anyone with a placard. All other ports stick to the letter of the law.

Candy

I have found that when I travel in Canada with my US-licensed car and handicap placard, it is accepted there (meaning, I can park in places designated for handicapped parking, etc.). I hope that it is reciprocated here in the US!

It is as we travel often to the US and even with a US car we can use our CDN placard.

To my Quebec friend - we parked in Miami with an Ontario permit. Not only was it accepted, but it was accepted with good grace! Our email to the parking authority was replied to, wishing Northern neighbours a great vacation. You should have no problem. Enjoy your cruise, and give a big thanks to the parking personnel - it's a wonderful privilege!

To my Quebec friend - we parked in Miami with an Ontario permit. Not only was it accepted, but it was accepted with good grace! Our email to the parking authority was replied to, wishing Northern neighbours a great vacation. You should have no problem. Enjoy your cruise, and give a big thanks to the parking personnel - it's a wonderful privilege!

Thank you we will certainly have a great cruise. It is a wonderful privilege.

Suz

Archived