Favorite Ships for Panama Canal Transit

hulamoon

I am not sure that there is a bad ship for the Panama Canal but we did it in January on the Coral Princess and then were on the Coral again in mid-May for a repositioning cruise to Vancouver. We very much enjoyed the ship on both occasions.

Agree about the Coral Princess. She was the ship for my very first cruise and the itinerary was the Panama Canal. Both were fantastic.

The Coral and her sister, the Island, are lovely ships. They're a little smaller than some in the Princess fleet, because they were built to fit through the Canal. But they were well designed, and don't feel crowded. As I recall, they can carry about 1900 passengers, and some of the bigger Princess ships can carry nearly 3000.

Get an aft cabin. Best for viewing everything. Piece of trivia. The Coral Princess holds the record for the costliest transit of the canal for any cruise ship. I believe it was $298,000.00 dollars. I did the canal on the Celebrity Summit and it came in at $281,000.00. The largest ship ever to transit the canal was the USS Iowa. Less than 1 inch of clearence on each side. Cheapest canal transit 32 cents. A swimmer. Can't remember the name. Enjoy, it's a fantastic trip.

For a partial transit, I think the HAL zuiderdam has the best choices of ports. No Cartagena and no Grand Cayman or Jamaica. We could have saved about $500, if we had booked Island Princess back in August when Princess was running a sale, but my hubby preferred to go to Curacao and Half Moon Cay and felt it was worth the extra to book HAL.

For a full transit, I myself,would probably pick Celebrity Constellation, just because I loved that ship-not that she would be any better. We still may do a full transit some time. I suppose it depends on if we feel we have seen enough of the Canal after this upcoming cruse-as to whether we book a full transit in the future.

Aloha MomofMeg,

You must be a Caribbean expert. I picked up the vibe most people didn't like Jamaica but didn't realize Caymen and Cartegena were less than ideal. I appreciate the input.

We have not cruised the Caribbean or Mexico so it is all new to us.

Thanks for the Constellations tip.

I didn't know there were so many people who love the Panama Canal, in my former mind I thought it was done once, now I realize there are so many more itineraries and options. Guests are repeating the transit sometimes in the same month!:)

Sharie

Aloha MomofMeg,

You must be a Caribbean expert. I picked up the vibe most people didn't like Jamaica but didn't realize Caymen and Cartegena were less than ideal. I appreciate the input.

We have not cruised the Caribbean or Mexico so it is all new to us.

Thanks for the Constellations tip.

I didn't know there were so many people who love the Panama Canal, in my former mind I thought it was done once, now I realize there are so many more itineraries and options. Guests are repeating the transit sometimes in the same month!:)

Sharie

Grand Cayman is a nice port,the problem is they allow too many ships-once we were the on Caribbean Princess-3000 plus PAX. Freedom of the ses was in port (4500), so was Navigator of the Seas (3000 plus), plus a couple of smaller (fanasty class)Carnival ships-WAAY too many people for that port.

Jamaica-the sales people are supr pushy/ agressive-they try to intimidate you into buying. I hated Jamaica. I have no desire to EVER go there again.

I should check the port website to see what ships are in port they day i am there. It is nice to not be suprised by crowds.

I still don't have a final decision on ship, I am going to keep rethinking it, till it feels right.

I noticed the Pearl and the Infinity goes through the canal too, maybe I will see what their latest controversies are and if I can live with them.

I checked out the Island and the Coral and a couple of their schedules work for us too. Not good news from Juliecat who just got of the Statendam, hope their issues get cleared up quickly.

I should check the port website to see what ships are in port they day i am there. It is nice to not be suprised by crowds.

I still don't have a final decision on ship, I am going to keep rethinking it, till it feels right.

I noticed the Pearl and the Infinity goes through the canal too, maybe I will see what their latest controversies are and if I can live with them.

I checked out the Island and the Coral and a couple of their schedules work for us too. Not good news from Juliecat who just got of the Statendam, hope their issues get cleared up quickly.

That is true, you should find several ships doing repositionings through the canal, that do the Caribbean in winter and Alaska in summer.

I liked the Pearl okay-but the Westerdam was much nicer. I think though the Westerdam goes to Europe this year-but the Zuiderdam will reposition to Alaska-perhaps you can catch the Zuiderdam's full transit-repositioning-I guess she does those twice a year-spring and fall.

I saw on youtube where the Zuiderdam went through the canal on October 8th. Some posted a video of it there. On the HAL board there is a thread by Grandmapajama-she was on that cruise-you may want to read that thread.

Now with Princess, she does a mix, the Coral and Island both do full transits and partial transits. Some full transits end in Mexico, the other side of the canal, these are 10 day and some full transits end in california which are 14 day.

I would think if you want a full transit but don't have 14 days-the 10 day to Mexico would be a nice option.

We did the full transit on Celebrity Infinity in 2007 and loved it. We did go to Cartagena and thought it was a great port. Lots of street hawkers but if you just say no they will leave you alone. We totally enjoyed our excursion there. We would love to the canal again and would chose the Infinity!!

Elaine

Thank you Putterdude,

I didn't realize the Coral was just getting that, I thought it was being replaced. We are considering her strongly. I am thinking of holding out for wave season but not sure if the transit cruises get more or less popular by April.

Sharie

From what I have noticed-just about all of the full transits go to Catagena. I meant that since we were opting for a partial-(no airfare for us-so more affordable) we liked that HAL goes to Curacao instead. I did not explain myself well. Caratgena is in Columbia, and Columbia has a bad rep and many have posted bad experiences there similar to Jamaica-Curacao just seems a nicer place to go. My hubby wants to dive in Curacao-so he preferred Curacao. But that was our personal choice.

But, for someone doing a full transit, they could always stay on ship if they were concerned.

Hulamoon, I think no matter which ship you pick, you can't miss. Be sure and post about your trip when you return.

I noticed that HAL Amsterdam is doing a 21 day round trip Los Angles December 2. Right now, before taxes, the balcony is running a $100 er day per person, that would be a great option for someone on the West coast. Even for someone from the east coast, it seems that round tip airfare is more affordable than 2 one way airfares.

The only negative I guess, is you need 3 weeks for this.

Thanks for noticing that MomofMeg. I love deals! My son is coming home for Christmas otherwise I would be reserving that right now. In fact I will call and make sure he is still coming. :rolleyes:

Well, you could always take your son along- the downside is,if you hate the ship you are stuck for 3 weeks! LOL!

Seriously, I actually think the Princess 10 day full transit where you board in Ft. Lauderdale and debark in Acapulco is the best "deal." A little more per day, but you need less vacation time to take it. You could still "be home for Christmas," LOL! as that is a regular run of Princess, not a one time deal-like the Amsterdam.

Archived