WI FI on the Island

Cozzette2

I believe all Princess ships now offer Wifi in cabin as well as in the public rooms. Price is the same as in the Internet cafe. You can save minutes by composing email offline and then sending them when you connect. If your email does not allow you to compose offline, then write them in Word and cut and paste them when you connect.

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject of WiFi... though I am WELL experienced with computers - 44+ years in the IT industry. W just bought a notebook this afternoon for DW. I set it up successfully for connection to our home network, but not yet for "hotspot" connection (there are differences in the setup definitions required, and I'm waiting for a consult with my son for advice since I'm pretty sure he has done similar).

My question is this: when connected through WiFi aboard ship, is the only access through a web browser (port 80/443), or can an independent mail program like Thunderbird (standard SMTP port 25/POP3 port 110) be used?

TIA.

Shalom, Andy.

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject of WiFi... though I am WELL experienced with computers - 44+ years in the IT industry. W just bought a notebook this afternoon for DW. I set it up successfully for connection to our home network, but not yet for "hotspot" connection (there are differences in the setup definitions required, and I'm waiting for a consult with my son for advice since I'm pretty sure he has done similar).

My question is this: when connected through WiFi aboard ship, is the only access through a web browser (port 80/443), or can an independent mail program like Thunderbird (standard SMTP port 25/POP3 port 110) be used?

TIA.

Shalom, Andy.

You can use POP3 and SMTP ports 25 110 & 587 with no problem

Alan

Yes, an email client will work fine. In fact, that's the best way to minimize your costs.

When you use one of the ship's computers you're charged for every minute you use.

When you use your own laptop you can log on, download emails, then log off. Take your time reading and composing replies. Then log on, send replies, log off. Quick and easy. On a seven day cruise, checking my email every other day, I used less than 30 minutes for the entire week.

Thanks to the three who answered my question. Exactly what I was looking for.

Paul, DW and I are an early Internet couple. We met in 1995 and all we had in those days was email on pay-per-minute. She was on AOL dialup in New Jersey, and I was on 28K ISP here. We certainly remember doing mail offline, exactly the way you described it for shipboard use.

:We did it before and we can do it again :D:D!"

Shalom, Andy.

So is it charged to your cabin account and is it worth bringing if it costs the same as the internet cafe? I just thought it would be nice to pay some bills, go on face book but I may end up with a surprise bill at the end of the cruise and I hate those kind of surprises.:D

I am thinking about buying a netbook to use on our Nov. Island Princess cruise from our cabin. Do I need to do anything to it before the cruise so I can access the web? Please excuse my ignorance but I am new to using Wifi, too.

Appreciate the help!

Yes, it is charge to your onboard account.

I write most emails offline then cnnect to send them. This reduces the number of minutes used. In the internet cafe,you do not have this option.

Most people buy a package. This eliminates any surprises.

I am thinking about buying a netbook to use on our Nov. Island Princess cruise from our cabin. Do I need to do anything to it before the cruise so I can access the web? Please excuse my ignorance but I am new to using Wifi, too.

Appreciate the help!

You would need aa wireless modum. These are pretty standard today.

So is it charged to your cabin account and is it worth bringing if it costs the same as the internet cafe? I just thought it would be nice to pay some bills, go on face book but I may end up with a surprise bill at the end of the cruise and I hate those kind of surprises.:D

Price is 75 cents/minute without a package charged to your cabin account. Also an initial one-time sign up charge.

Advantage of using your own netbook in your cabin:

a) No wait at the Internet Cafe for an available computer

b) Able to use your own "favorites" as links to web sites vs. having to correctly type each web address in

c) The time savings if you use a program such as Outlook Express to get and send e-mails as (as others have pointed out) you can do most of the work without being on the internet.

d) Can work in your PJs if you wish

Appreciate the help!

I just used a netbook (bought the Asus 1005 HA) for the first time on our 25 day Coral cruise. Sat at the desk in my cabin; never needed to go to the main cafe. Just turn it on and you'll automatically be connected. Sign up for a package (your choice) and type away. :D

Price is 75 cents/minute without a package charged to your cabin account. Also an initial one-time sign up charge.

Advantage of using your own netbook in your cabin:

a) No wait at the Internet Cafe for an available computer

b) Able to use your own "favorites" as links to web sites vs. having to correctly type each web address in

c) The time savings if you use a program such as Outlook Express to get and send e-mails as (as others have pointed out) you can do most of the work without being on the internet.

d) Can work in your PJs if you wish

PJs? :eek:

Appreciate the help!

'Netbooks' are usually equiped with wireless modems. Check before you buy, and if it's equiped, no problem. (And you don't have to be concerned about deleting the cache if it's your own netbook.

I've been using one of those small acer units, and it works perfectly on Princess ships. (On the Island next week, BTW).

I just used a netbook (bought the Asus 1005 HA) for the first time on our 25 day Coral cruise. Sat at the desk in my cabin; never needed to go to the main cafe. Just turn it on and you'll automatically be connected. Sign up for a package (your choice) and type away. :D

Pia, did you like the Asus 1005 HA? Its one of my choices but I haven't bought it yet.

obendus, I'm counting down the days! Have a wonderful cruise, smooth sailing and blue skies!

Pia, did you like the Asus 1005 HA? Its one of my choices but I haven't bought it yet.

I love it. It's the one I found most like a regular keyboard. Believe me, I tried them all before I made my choice. I also bought a retractable little mouse since I'm not one for using a keypad.

Archived