WI FI on the Island

Cozzette2

Just remember that when you are finished with the internet to log off by typing in the URL 1.1.1.1 or you minutes will keep running.....

Alan

Now that's a good tip. I had forgotten the necessity to do this... thanks

for the reminder.

Just remember that when you are finished with the internet to log off by typing in the URL 1.1.1.1 or you minutes will keep running.....

Alan

Definitely. Turning off your computer does NOT end your session. I shut down my computer one time and realizer I had not signed off. I restarted the computer and it connected with out signing in.

Another advantage to having your own laptop. If you have the time, you can get off in port, find a free wireless connection, and get onto the internet at no cost for as long as you wish (assuming you don't forget to reboard the ship in time).

I began taking my laptop with me in the mid 1990's, when it was an unusual sight. Because I guess I am a cheapskate, I generally do not use the ship's internet service unless I get a block of time free as a frequent cruiser. I rarely have any difficulty finding free access in port. Sometimes it is intentionally available by the port authority (and can sometimes be received right from the deck of the ship), but most of the time I just wander through downtown and run into nonprotected networks -- and log on.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, an email client will work fine. In fact, that's the best way to minimize your costs.

When you use one of the ship's computers you're charged for every minute you use.

When you use your own laptop you can log on, download emails, then log off. Take your time reading and composing replies. Then log on, send replies, log off. Quick and easy. On a seven day cruise, checking my email every other day, I used less than 30 minutes for the entire week.

What are the costs for WiFi? I have seen there is a per minute charge and a package charge. Can anyone tell me what the packages cost and what they include? We will be on the Island in February and we are thinking of purchasing a netbook to keep in touch with family at home.

What are the costs for WiFi? I have seen there is a per minute charge and a package charge. Can anyone tell me what the packages cost and what they include? We will be on the Island in February and we are thinking of purchasing a netbook to keep in touch with family at home.

no package = $.75/minute

100-minute package $55.00

150-minute package $75.00

250-minute package $100.00

account activation fee is $3.95

(one higher number of minutes package is available, but I do not remember the details)

Often get bonus minutes when signing up for a paid package on embarkation day.

Includes the listed number of minutes which can be used on your laptop and/or in the Internet cafe. No refund for unused minutes.

Speed is about the same as home dial-up, so if you are used to high speed links at home, expect to use more minutes than at home.

Thank you so much Caribill for your quick reply and helpful information. I just got off the phone with AT&T and costs to use my Blackberry either on the ship or in most of the ports is going to be quite expensive. So still trying to figure out what we are going to do.

).

My question is this: when connected through WiFi aboard ship, is the only access through a web browser (port 80/443), or can an independent mail program like Thunderbird (standard SMTP port 25/POP3 port 110) be used?

TIA.

Shalom, Andy.

Hm - never tried email. I have used my MagicJack to talk to folks back home. Worked wonder in the lesser Antilles. I imagine if you really wanted email, it might just be best to use a hotmail or gmail account and go through a web browser.

Another advantage to having your own laptop. If you have the time, you can get off in port, find a free wireless connection, and get onto the internet at no cost for as long as you wish (assuming you don't forget to reboard the ship in time).

I began taking my laptop with me in the mid 1990's, when it was an unusual sight. Because I guess I am a cheapskate, I generally do not use the ship's internet service unless I get a block of time free as a frequent cruiser. I rarely have any difficulty finding free access in port. Sometimes it is intentionally available by the port authority (and can sometimes be received right from the deck of the ship), but most of the time I just wander through downtown and run into nonprotected networks -- and log on.

Bill

To heck with Tax-Free ports - which ports are WIFI free at or near the terminal? Think Caribbean, here.

I just stop in a port and check my mail, etc. while partner looks at jewelery. For the amount of time I spend on line I could buy her something in one of those shops and not pay all that money to the cruise line. I'm retired so I don't have to be in touch 24/7.

Archived