Internet & email offline read/write?

Mooguy

Just wondering if on HAL Westerdam if you can use Outlook to read & compose emails off line and log on only to Send/Receive? The only other time I have taken laptop on cruise was Princess and I could use outlook to do everything off line and only would log on to send and get new mail so each time I did it I would have a charge of $.06-.30 on my S&S bill. I checked and sent email once or twice everyday on our 7 day cruise and I don't think I had over $8 in total internet charges. Not sure it works the same on HAL or they lock out the mail server and make you use a web based email service?

Yes you can, but you have to change your outgoing SMTP server address to 172.31.0.2

If you forget that address you'll find it at the bottom of the back page of a Wireless Internet Services hand-out available in the Explorations Cafe under the heading POP client users. :)

If you don't know how to make that change: in Outlook Express (and I presume Outlook) you go to Tools > Accounts > properties > servers.

There is a $3.95 one time activation fee.

If you do not select an internet package -- then it is $0.75 per minute.

Yes she is right. HAL has an activation charge, and to make it more affordable, the purchase of a 'package' makes more sense than the .75 cents a minute.

Careful though, if you use one minute and one single little second of time, you will be charged 2 minutes. This represents a lot of missing time on a 200 minutes package for ex.:eek:

Something to keep in mind !

Louise

Yes she is right. HAL has an activation charge, and to make it more affordable, the purchase of a 'package' makes more sense than the .75 cents a minute.

Careful though, if you use one minute and one single little second of time, you will be charged 2 minutes. This represents a lot of missing time on a 200 minutes package for ex.:eek:

Something to keep in mind !

Louise

So if I log on and get email and it only take 45 seconds am I charged .75 or $.56 for the portion of a minute? Princess charged by the seconds used so each time I loged in I had a different charge on the S&S bill.

So if I log on and get email and it only take 45 seconds am I charged .75 or $.56 for the portion of a minute? Princess charged by the seconds used so each time I loged in I had a different charge on the S&S bill.
IIRC MTN/SeaMobile does not deal in fractions of minutes, so 61 seconds = 2 minutes charged.

Archived