New Beverage Program is here!

ustal

I am sailing on thursday 11/19 on the Equinox. the packages became available on friday the 13th. I got online and purchased the classic liquor package for $206. My credit card was charged. I then received an email stating that my purchase was canceled and my money being refunded. I called Celbrity to ask why this happened and was told that the packages were not going to be availabe until the December sailings. Drat!!!:D

The Beer Package and the Liquor Packages are at price points that make it almost impossible to find any value in purchasing them.

For example; the Beer Package would mean that you would have to commit to drinking 7+ beers per day, every day of the cruise to make it worthwhile. Making a $241.50 commitment for the entire 7 night cruise for one person to receive beer is not a logical course of action.

Now, if you could purchase the beer package for a day at a time, particularly the “At Sea” days, and therefore only commit $34.50 at a time, that would be more practical (although a price point between $25-30 would have been more reasonable).

umm really?:rolleyes:

c'mon you must see the flaw in your thinking here. sure $25 all you can drink beer only on days you are on the ship all day. That makes perfect business sense for Celebrity...;)

If they priced it to be a great "value" for everyone they would be supporting losing money. Did anyone really expect that?

Now I am not saying that other options shouldn't be implemented for us casual drinkers (ie. slight % off ticket packages of 10 or so) but I am shocked that so many people are up in arms over the pricing on these. You are not forced to purchase them,,,

Really!

The current package requires a 7+ beer consumption for 7 straight days to be worthwhile. I think a 5+ beer consumption commitment is more realistic in regards to value for the guest (and 5 is way more than I would consume).

Although having a daily drink package would be more difficult operationally for Celebrity, it would also be more popular. The guest would be in control (which I repeat is the main selling point of Celebrity’s marketing). This means that they do not have to consider the two 5 hour excursions they pre-booked into the decision. I would even be OK if it were a draft beer only package, which would make it more profitable than bottles (although even at $25 per day, you would have to consume a whole lot of beer for Celebrity to lose money).

Here's the main question. Why did Celebrity implement these packages in the first place? They have to add some value to the guests in some way. This would either be in saving money or in convenience. It is rather obvious that most guests would not save money with these packages. And I do not see any convenience either. You still have to go up to the bar or flag down the wait staff, order, and show them your card. Ok you do not have to wait for a receipt, sign something, or tip. Not enough for me to commit $241.50.

You are correct, I do not have to buy them. And I won’t. But I’ve been looking forward to these packages for 6 months. I wasn’t being unrealistic and expecting “All you can drink” for $100. But these are way, way short of “Celebrity Cruises is proud to offer you, our guest, the ultimate in value and convenience.”

FX

Really!

..And I do not see any convenience either. You still have to go up to the bar or flag down the wait staff, order, and show them your card. Ok you do not have to wait for a receipt, sign something, or tip. ....

FX

Okay, I don't disagree that the offering is not a $$ value for you (or for me or DH on a 7 day port intensive cruise) It will be a value on 14 night PC cruise that has 8 sea days. And if we purchase it for that it will be because I think DH will come within that range for beer and budgeting beforehand with certainty of the price is a value to us.

What would be your suggestion to make it more convenient? Beer magically appearing in front of you if you have the package? :rolleyes:

Okay, maybe out of line a little...

my point is, of course you have to show the card at a bar or waiter. And I wouldn't be surprised if they do swipe them on the alcoholic plans so they can monitor their program in dollars and cents and alter if need be.

Bottled Water Package

Enjoy the pure refreshment of Evian® still water and/or Pellegrino® sparkling bottled water for the duration of your cruise. Perfected by nature in the French Alps, Evian replenishes your body and mind. San Pellegrino, sourced from three great springs in northern Italy, provides the ideal accompaniment to any meal. Show your SeaPass Card at any bar, lounge or restaurant to indicate your participation.

*Starting from: $94.50 USD Per Package and equals $13.50 per day. Bottled water purchased individually is $2.88 which includes 15% gratuity . You would have to drink almost 5 of the packaged bottles per day to break even.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fountain Soda Package

Receive a complimentary Coca-Cola souvenir cup in your stateroom upon embarkation. Enjoy unlimited sodas during the duration of your cruise. Simply present your SeaPass Card at any bar, lounge, or restaurant to receive your soda of choice.

*Starting from: $40.25 USD Per Package and equals $5.75 per day. Soda bu the glass purchased individually is $1.44 which includes 15% gratuity . You would have to drink 4 of the packaged sodasper day to break even.

Celebrity's soft-drink program has been established for all guests onboard to obtain soda drinks at a daily rate of $5.00 plus 15% gratuity. $5.75 per day

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beer Package

Enjoy an unlimited variety of your choice from our selection of domestic and imported brews. This includes Corona®, Heineken®, Budweiser® and other favorites.

*Starting from: $241.50 USD Per Package and equals $34.50 per day. Beer purchased individually is $5.18 which includes 15% gratuity . You would have to drink almost 7 of the packaged Beers per day to break even.

Premium Liquor Package

Our Premium package offers a distinctive collection of premium spirits such as Knob Creek®, Remy Martin VSOP®, and Patron Silver®, to name a few. Participants in the Premium Liquor Package may select spirits from the Classic Liquor Package offering, as well.

*Starting from: $532.00 USD Per Package and equals $76.00 per day. A mixed drink purchased individually is $6.61 and up which includes 15% gratuity . You would have to drink almost 11½ of the packaged Drinks per day to break even.

Classic Liquor Package

Choose your favorite libation from our wide array of Classic brands, including Dewar's White Label®, Jack Daniel’s®, and Absolut®. Available at all bars, lounges and any of our restaurants.

*Starting from: $360.50 USD Per Package and equals $51.00 per day. A Mixed Drink

purchased individually is $6.33 which includes 15% gratuity . You would have to drink about 8 of the packaged Mixed drinks per day to break even.

Frozen Drinks Package

From Strawberry, Piña Colada, Banana and Raspberry, to Mango, Peach, Passion Fruit and Margarita, enjoy an unlimited variety of frozen and blended drinks, available at all bars throughout the ship.

With a Frozen Drinks Package, cool off with an unlimited variety of your favorite frozen alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. When you reserve this package, an icon will be placed on your SeaPass Card indicating your participation

*Starting from: $154.00 USD Per Package and equals $22.00 per day. A Mixed Drink purchased individually is $4.95 which includes 15% gratuity . You would have to drink about 4 of the packaged frozen drinks per day to break even.

The Sommelier's wine Package

With the Sommelier's Package, savor premium international selections. Sample wines from Italy such as Bertani®, Renwood® from Washington, and S.A. Prum® from Germany. Package pricing represents a savings of 5% off regular list prices

Pre-cruise reservations for this beverage package are not yet available.

The Captain's Wine Package

The Captain's Package offers a superb collection of wines suitable for all your tastes and preferences. You may also choose to mix and match wines from the Sommelier's Package to further enhance your enjoyment. Package pricing represents a savings of 10% off regular list prices.

Pre-cruise reservations for this beverage package are not yet available.

Premium Stateroom Bar Setup

The Premium Stateroom Bar Setup includes the selection of a 1L bottle from a sophisticated collection of brands such as Crown Royal®, Bombay Sapphire®, and Grey Goose®. In addition, you may also choose from a list of mixers, including Coca-Cola products, Ginger Ale, tonic water or juices.

*Starting from: $80.00 USD Per Package and equals $11.43 per day. A premium Mixed Drink purchased individually is $6.61 which includes 15% gratuity . You could drink 2 of your own mixed drinks and share with your cabin mate and be money ahead. with the first drinks.

Classic Stateroom Bar Setup

With the Classic Stateroom Bar Setup, you may select your 1L bottle from a sophisticated collection of brands such as Seagram's®, Beefeater®, Captain Morgan® and more. You may also choose from a list of mixers, including Coca-Cola® products, Ginger Ale, tonic water or juices.

*Starting from: 80.00 USD Per Package (same as above)

Riedel Wine Glass Comparative Workshop

Conducted by highly-trained Celebrity sommeliers, this seminar includes the opportunity to savor four different varietals from our superb collection of Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon, and their matching stemware. The wines are transferred into each glass to illustrate how the aromas and flavors of the wine change from glass to glass. Participants receive a set of Riedel stemware to take or ship home (shipping not included).

*Starting from: 87.00 USD Per Package

Once you have confirmed your purchase online, the order cannot be modified. You may, however, cancel the order and then make your purchase(s) again.

This package must be pre-reserved a minimum of four days before your sail date. To purchase beverage packages onboard, please visit the Guest Relations desk for more information.

*All prices in USD and subject to change without notice. All Beverage Package prices include a 15% service charge. Packages may not be shared. Limit one drink per order. Availability of Beverage Packages varies by ship. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase an Alcohol Drinks Package and to consume alcohol. Other terms and conditions apply.

Individual ordered Alcoholic beverage prices:

Aperitifs: $5.50

Standard alcohol: $5.50 and up

Premium alcohol: $5.75 and up

Cocktails: $4.95 and up

Wine glass: $5.95 and up

Champagne glass: $6.95 and up

Domestic beer: $4.50

Imported beer: $4.50 and up

Non-Alcoholic Beverage prices:

Soft drink (glass): $1.25

Soft drink (can): $1.95

Water: $2.50 and up

Drinks purchased in souvenir glass: $8.95

Coffee, tea, and milk:

Complimentary onboard all ships in all lounges except for Cova Cafe.

Note: all prices are quoted in U.S. dollars. Prices are subject to change and 15% gratuity is additional.

I hope people here do not take JohnJay's word for it on the prices per drink in each category. Those listed are starting prices. I have never ordered a bottled beer that was 5.18 with the tip, cheapest was 5. (4.50 may be a draft) And frozen drinks...4.75 including tip? maybe the nonalcholic drink of the day, but not any alcoholic version of a frozen drink. That figure is grossly off.

You cannot determine drink per breakeven point based on JohnJays numbers. They are the bare minimums, which most cruisers know nobody orders.

For some there will be value in the packages, based on convenience of knowing their exact cruise drink tab whether they break even or just come close to it.

Others who drink hard will get the value in terms of dollars and cents.

Those who see they cant come close to the breakeven point (determined by the cost of what they like to drink, not on minimums) they won't get the packages.

I think the frozen drink package is a pretty decent deal if you are a drinker on vacation, but... I was really hoping for something similar with the wine package. I was hoping they would do an "all you can drink" wine package where you could just get a "house" glass of wine wherever you were. I would love this. I could have a few different types... never have to worry about the bottle and they sell by the glass anyway, so why not?

I was glad to know these prices "from $154.00" are actually for a 7 night cruise. At least it's not listed that way for their short cruises.

I'm surprised so many people are dishing the new packages.... sure they aren't 'giving" them away, but they do have their place.

For example, a couple receiving a cruise as a 'gift', it's easier to foot the bar bill than spot them cash. We met a newly wed couple on the ill fated Sea Diamond a few years ago who had been given the cruise as a gift and that included the Louis Cruises 'Bar card"

I for one may like to know my bar bill before I cruise. :p On our next cruise we're planning 4 half day tours, and eight ship board/sea day so it may be worth it.... for me anyway, and my buddy, but not our wives....

I still would like to know if you buy a "premium" liquor plan, I assume you can get what ever is offered under the "Classic Liquor Package". So does the "Classic Liquor Package" mean beer is included too?

I don't think anyone knows yet what all the 2 "liquor" packages include. If they include beer, wine, and frozen drinks then maybe it isn't such a bad deal.

I will say that I am a bit surprised at these packages just on the fact that I thought all the cruise lines were trying to minimize people getting too drunk and out of hand. What exactly do they think is going to happen if someone buys these packages and realizes they need to have at least 7-8 drinks a day to make this payoff?

And I wouldn't be surprised if they do swipe them on the alcoholic plans so they can monitor their program in dollars and cents and alter if need be.

I would expect that they will swipe the card, because it almost has to happen to track inventory and sales, etc.

Will be of interest to hear what happens.

I think the frozen drink package is a pretty decent deal if you are a drinker on vacation, but... I was really hoping for something similar with the wine package. I was hoping they would do an "all you can drink" wine package where you could just get a "house" glass of wine wherever you were. I would love this. I could have a few different types... never have to worry about the bottle and they sell by the glass anyway, so why not?

I was glad to know these prices "from $154.00" are actually for a 7 night cruise. At least it's not listed that way for their short cruises.

I also would have loved a wine package for house wines. Oh well.

There's a new tab when I log in to my booking online. Nothing too exciting--a wine package with a limited selection, and a new water package. There's apparently no inventory available for my sailing (Summit 14/11). Anyone with a later sailing, is there inventory available for yours?

Water Package

Refresh your thirst from our selection of both still and sparkling water, including Evian®.

Fountain Soda Package

Enjoy Coca-Cola® products from your complimentary souvenir cup for the duration of your cruise.

Taste of the Vineyards Package

Experience Celebrity's superb wine collection throughout your cruise. Taste of the Vineyards offers a variety of international wines that will meet your tastes and preferences. spacer.gif

Some beverage packages became available to purchase online November 15th 2009.

I will be surprised if this is successful. I think based on the demographics of the average Celebrity cruiser this is not going to work. I think some of these packages are more geared to the average Carnival cruiser (sorry). I just don't think the average Celebrity cruiser drinks so much. As I have said before unless you have a sailing with a lot of sea days (more drinking during the day and by the pool) I do not see this being financially beneficial to most cruisers. Then again I do not tend to drink too much hard liquor so not sure how much of a cost advantage these packages are. But for someone like me who enjoys maybe 1 frozen drink by the pool, a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, then maybe a beer or two while I gamble, it doesn't cost out. Plus we still have not confirmed that the liquor package even allows you to get any type of drink including beer and wine.

I just spoke to Celebrity here in the UK, and i asked the question "If you buy the liquor package, can you drink beer on the same package"?.

The agent said no, the liquor package is just that, Liquor and mixers only, if you want beer, you can either order the beer package as well!! or take the beer package and not liquor. Hope this information helps.

Steve

I just spoke to Celebrity here in the UK, and i asked the question "If you buy the liquor package, can you drink beer on the same package"?.

The agent said no, the liquor package is just that, Liquor and mixers only, if you want beer, you can either order the beer package as well!! or take the beer package and not liquor. Hope this information helps.

Steve

Too bad.... makes it a lot less attractive to me.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not surprised that the beer and liquor are so expensive ($34.50 and $51.50/$76.00). What's surprising is that frozen drinks are $22 per day, tip included. From what I saw, it looks like that's only marginally more than the cost of two frozen drinks per day. I'm certainly not opposed to drinking raspberry margaritas for my entire cruise. For that kind of price, I'd happily pay $22 per day and carry some extra singles to tip for a nice float. :D Still though, I think I'd miss the martini's!

We'll definitely save money with my DH buying the beer package. Beer is all he drinks, and he can easily consume enough to cover $34.50 per day (including the gratuity). I, on the other hand, like a frozen drink, or a mixed drink, or something like DiSaronna on the rocks, or a glass of wine...so there's no package that fits me. But I don't drink very much anyway, so no big deal. I'm delighted hubby can get the beer package though! He won't drink any more because of it, but it will cost us a lot less!

I'm intrigued by the convenience of the package (my usual drink is beer) and would probably be close to breaking even on it.

Sometimes I have a couple of beers as a nightcap in my cabin at the end of the day. But will I have to order them from room service one at a time? The delivery guy might get pretty frustrated going back and forth!:confused:

I am actually quite excited to hear that Celebrity has started a beverage program.

My husband just booked us on a 14 night Panama Canal cruise. He drinks Captain & Coke and I am a Coors Light drinker.

We have been on 3 night cruises with a $1,000 bar tab :eek: Yeah, I know... But we were with lots of friends (all of my cruising has been with groups of friends. This is the first time we will be cruising alone)

So, I believe this is going to save us money.

$34.50 x 14 = $483

$51.50 x 14 = $721

Total tab = $1,204

Average that out and that is $86 per day for our drinks. A drink at noon, a drink in the afternoon, drinks with dinner, drinks at the casino, drinks at the clubs....

Knowing what our bar tab will be at the end our cruise = priceless...

Steve

Don't mean to put an damper on this new party boat atmosphere, but I just feel that Celebrity can not call it self a "premium cruise line" while at the same time market itself as the best party ship afloat.

Probably Celebrity is just trying to match the all inclusive cruise lines, but my experience in running several business is that every time a corporation tries to be all things to all people, fails every time.

I sail to rest and relax and just speaking for my self, I have no desire to sail any cruise line on which, I may have a cabin next to passengers who have purchased the "Premium Liquor Package" and then also felt the need to add the "Unlimited Beer Package".

I find it beyond hypocritical that Celebrity stopped passengers from bringing their own liquor on board for what they said was for the safety of all passengers and now, for the right price, this issue conveniently looses all importance.

IMHO, this is a huge mistake by Celebrity.

Archived