WWYD?? Flying into FLL, cruising from Miami - family of 5 - HELP!!

JLA

AAHHH!! I'm so confused on what to do. Here's the situation, my husband and I are taking our 3 children on a cruise in December. We fly into Ft. Lauderdale the night before, but are cruising out of Miami. I think our flight arrives around 9:30 pm (so keep in mind 3 kids and mom/dad will be cranky at this point). Which of these options would be cheapest, easiest, best, etc.

1. Find a hotel close to FLL airport that has a free shuttle to the hotel - next day get a shuttle service (costly with 5 people?)

2. Find a hotel near the port of Miami - how do we get there? Shuttle? Taxi? (costly)? - How do we get to the port the next day?

3. Rent a car at FLL airport, stay wherever, drop off car in Miami (is that possible?) - then how do we get to the port? (perhaps they will have a shuttle service?) - but if we rent a car we need to bring along a carseat for the 2 year old, so do I bring a carseat on the plane with us?

I don't know which one to pick. I would like to do the easiest, which is probably option 1, but I have a feeling a shuttle for 5 people is going to be expensive.

I'm in a similar situation, looking to fly into FLL for a cruise out of Miami. I'm guessing the OP is doing this to save some money. At least in my experence, flying into Miami can be MUCH more expensive. And if she is paying 5 fares it could be a $500-$1000 difference. Again, just my guess.

Stay at a hotel in Ft. Laud that has shuttle from airport, then next day get either taxi or pre arrange on of the shuttle services to take you to port in MIAMI. You have plenty of time the day OF the cruise to get there.

We're doing the reverse - flying into Miami (because that's where we could fly using our miles, if you must know) and sailing from FLL. I think we're going to try to find a shuttle service to FLL (can't use the one posted according to their website) so that we can have a relaxing morning before heading to the ship.

Hello! I'm in the same boat kind of, so here is my story, and what I'm doing.

Family of four flying from Canada to Fort Lauderdale to take a cruise out of Miami. We have to connect in Montreal (Prone to delays) so we are flying in the day before the cruise. We arrive around 8:30pm. taking the free shuttle to the Hilton fort Lauderdale airport which we got for $97/night.

Taxi from Fort Lauderdale to Miami is around $75 ( Based on what I've read). this could be tricky with a family of four consisting of my father, my mother( who doesn't pack light) Myself and my husband(We're gay, so obviously don't pack light either :) ) No chance we're fitting into a Taxi.

We decided to get a limo for $90 to take us from Fort Lauderdale to the port. It's a 10 passanger stretch limo. Lots of room, and a nice way to get from A - B.

So, that's what I'm doing and I feel totally at peace with it. I hope I helped.

Thanks everyone. We are flying into FLL because where we are flying from doesn't fly into Miami. I think we will stay at an airport close to FLL and then take the shuttle, seems the most convenient.

We're flying into FLL late the night before our cruise out of Miami as well along with out 2 children. We used sas transportation earlier this year in May and the driver damaged my luggage unloading it from the van. So this time around considering we're taking the kids, we decided to rent a car from Enterprise. The cost was only $36 for a full size and the car CAN be dropped off at the Miami airport then there's a free shuttle we can ride to the port. This allows us the flexibility to book a room without having to worry if there's a shuttle from the airport and restaurants nearby.

After the cruise, we're doing the same thing. Enterprise will pick us up from the port when we call and take us to the Miami airport to rent another car which can be dropped off in Fort Lauderdale.

As for the car seat issue, our girls are 5 & 8 so they use booster seats which we toss into a duffle bag and check at the airport. We figured they may come in handy if we end up going somewhere while in port.

We're doing the reverse - flying into Miami (because that's where we could fly using our miles, if you must know) and sailing from FLL. I think we're going to try to find a shuttle service to FLL (can't use the one posted according to their website) so that we can have a relaxing morning before heading to the ship.

Hello! I/we are in the same situation...did you decide to use a shuttle or stick with a cab? I have been pricing this and it is interesting how the SAS won't do the reverse...

We are a family of 4 flying out of Milwaukee to FLL. We are also cruising out of MIA. It is much more cost effective flying to FLL and taking a shuttle to MIA.

For approximately $25 per person we are surprising our girls with a limo ride!!! We have also found private shuttle service for $75.

We are doing the same thing with two boys. We are arriving Thanksgiving night so we decided to just stay in Fort Lauderdale since Bayside will not be open. I booked the Sheraton FLL Airport Hotel for $60 on hotwire. They have a free shuttle to the hotel. Then I've arranged for SAS to pick us up the next morning. I figure we can sleep in have breakfast and head to the ship. The price is $13 per person and they said when they pick us up at 10:30 we will head straight to the ship in Miami.

I haven't figured our our plans for return yet. We are staying an extra day in Fort Lauderdale at the Westin. Not sure if we want to rent a car or just take a shuttle to the hotel.

I did a quick look at a rental car. To get a car at the airport the first price I found was $100.08 to return it to the Miami airport the next day. I would rent a car with a car seat if you don't have a seat on the plane for your youngest. Stay wherever you want. In the morning of departure drive and drop one parent off at the port with the luggage and one person go return the car. Then take a quick cab back to the port and meet up onboard.

We're flying into FLL late the night before our cruise out of Miami as well along with out 2 children. We used sas transportation earlier this year in May and the driver damaged my luggage unloading it from the van. So this time around considering we're taking the kids, we decided to rent a car from Enterprise. The cost was only $36 for a full size and the car CAN be dropped off at the Miami airport then there's a free shuttle we can ride to the port. This allows us the flexibility to book a room without having to worry if there's a shuttle from the airport and restaurants nearby.

After the cruise, we're doing the same thing. Enterprise will pick us up from the port when we call and take us to the Miami airport to rent another car which can be dropped off in Fort Lauderdale.

As for the car seat issue, our girls are 5 & 8 so they use booster seats which we toss into a duffle bag and check at the airport. We figured they may come in handy if we end up going somewhere while in port.

i had heard that there was no longer a free shuttle...?????:confused:

Archived