If I arrive at the Port of Bayonne before they start boarding and it is raining.

stipmom

Is there a covered area they have you wait in? Is there more of a delay in getting on the ship because the previous passengers are held up because of the weather? Leaving on Sat. and the weather is supposed to be rainy and windy. Was planning on getting there early but don't want to wait out in the rain. Thanks

How early is early? We've arrived at 10:30 am and had no problem getting into the terminal. The terminal building has a long, wide tent outside it. You pull into one of the parking slots for drop off along the edge of the tent and give your bags to the porters. This part is not covered, so if it's raining you want to do this quickly. Everyone except the person parking the car can get out here and under the tent. If each person has his or hers travel documents, they can probably get into the building itself and through security. To park you continue along the access road and make a left and then another left and drive to the parking area. There is apparently a shuttle bus in the parking area, but you can park pretty close to the terminal at 10:30 am. The walk back across the access road to the terminal is no worse than a walk in from a shopping mall where you're parked further out in the lot. So you will need some rain gear, but you will not be standing outside in the rain waiting for the ship.

How early is early? We've arrived at 10:30 am and had no problem getting into the terminal. The terminal building has a long, wide tent outside it. You pull into one of the parking slots for drop off along the edge of the tent and give your bags to the porters. This part is not covered, so if it's raining you want to do this quickly. Everyone except the person parking the car can get out here and under the tent. If each person has his or hers travel documents, they can probably get into the building itself and through security. To park you continue along the access road and make a left and then another left and drive to the parking area. There is apparently a shuttle bus in the parking area, but you can park pretty close to the terminal at 10:30 am. The walk back across the access road to the terminal is no worse than a walk in from a shopping mall where you're parked further out in the lot. So you will need some rain gear, but you will not be standing outside in the rain waiting for the ship.

We'll be arriving at this port in a couple of weeks so your post is especially interesting to me. We will be arriving by taxi and my mom will be in a wheelchair......when you say 'travel documents', are you referring to our Passports and Booking Information, which we received via e-mail? Am I missing something or just too ansy before the trip? We did receive our luggage tags over the weekend. Thanks.

I also travel with my mom in a wheelchair. You should do the online check-in on the RCL site. Once you fill in all the info, you print it out and sign it. This will save you a lot of time at Bayonne. So the travel documents would be your passports and "Set Sail" online check-in form plus you will need the credit card to be used for your on board charges (Sea Pass account). Be sure you have your valuables and medications and whatever else you might need for the afternoon and evening in your carry ons. The rest of your tagged luggage you give to the porters with a tip.

Don't be afraid to ask for assistance with your mother. I used to ask if we could be boarded as soon as possible, but this last time we were Platinum, so we got priority boarding. Let the RCL folks wheel your mom on and off the shuttle bus. When you get to the gangway, let them wheel her up onto the ship. It is not necessary to tip for this unless they assign someone to stay with you. IMO it is worthwhile getting there early and planning to wait a bit in the lounge. They serve coffee and lemonade and cookies. When you get on the ship, you go to the Windjammer Cafe on deck 11 for lunch. I always go and get food for Mom - it's easier for her. By 1:30 pm your cabin should be ready. Luggage will arrive whenever.

I always leave Mom for a bit in the WJ and go and check on the dining room table assignment to be sure it is what we asked for. Mom is mobility impaired, but can walk into the dining room, so we always want a table that is not too far away from the door. Breakfast is served daily in the dining room and we always eat there. Lunch is served there on seas days and we often do that too.

Where is your cabin located? Do you have an accessible cabin? Is your mom always in the wheelchair or can she walk a little?

Thanks sooooo much for your speedy reply. I will use all of your tips. We have ordered a wheel chair for her to use on board but we will arrive by taxi using her rolater. She is ambulatory and this will be her 15th or so cruise but now that she's almost 88 we're not taking any chances. One more question, when in port using a tender did you ever go into town?:rolleyes:

Mar y Sol - I've never done a tender port with my mom since she had mobility issues. What port are you going to that is tender? It will be so much easier if your mom is somewhat mobile - you have no idea. I look at the wheelchair as a safety measure. I just bought a light weight transport chair from Amazon.com and wish I had bought it sooner. Have you looked at them? I paid about $165 and it was worth every penny on the last cruise. And we have lots of uses for it otherwise. I consider it to be an adult stroller. It was a lot cheaper than renting a wheelchair for the week.

Hello 138east, We are traveling in a couple of weeks to San Juan, St. Thomas, Samana, Dominican Republic (tender), and Labadee, Haiti, (tender). It'll be interesting to see how this all works out. I'm sure they have done this before but, I must admit, I am a little nervous about going on shore. Needless to say, I haven't shared any of this with mother and only pray everything works out. We have a rental wheelchair waiting for at the port. Thanks for all of your advice. You've been very kind and helpful!:)

Hello 138east, We are traveling in a couple of weeks to San Juan, St. Thomas, Samana, Dominican Republic (tender), and Labadee, Haiti, (tender). It'll be interesting to see how this all works out. I'm sure they have done this before but, I must admit, I am a little nervous about going on shore. Needless to say, I haven't shared any of this with mother and only pray everything works out. We have a rental wheelchair waiting for at the port. Thanks for all of your advice. You've been very kind and helpful!:)

Not to be negative, but getting on and off the tenders could be problematic for your mother. Stairs can be wet and slippery and tenders bob up and down in the water even in calm seas. It's not the place for an elderly person with mobility issues.

San Juan and St. Thomas should be no problem for you. These are US territories and the infrastructure is very good. What have you planned for these ports? The cabs will be fine in San Juan, but St. Thomas has the safari style cabs which might not work for you. I might try to reserve a regular cab to take an island tour. There is a wonderful shopping center right by the pier in St. Thomas that could occupy a lot of time for you and mom. I've not been to Samana or Labadee - I thought Labadee has a dock or is that not yet finished? I'd skip Samana entirely - from what I understand there is not much there.

If you have a handicapped cabin it will have an emergency call button by the bed and in the bathroom plus, of course, the telephone. Do you feel comfortable leaving your mom by herself for a while? If so, you should set aside some time in Samana and Labadee so you can go ashore for a bit. What I did last year was to wedge the door to the cabin open when I was off the ship. During the day the stewards are always around in the hallways, and I felt mom could call out to someone if the door was not completely shut. Also, be prepared to be a gofer. Room Service is great, but you have to wait for it. It was much easier to just go and get it in the Windjammer or Cafe Promenade. Coffee transports very well in the large plastic glasses (as opposed to the small cups) - if you have one of those cardboard drink carriers from a fast food place that would be good to take. If I was getting breakfast or lunch, I would get two plates and silverware and put all the food on one plate to divide back in the room. For "eating out" the MDR is open daily for breakfast and on sea days for lunch. Much better than the Windjammer for someone who has mobility issues. Also, IMO the food is better.

Is your mom interested in the hot tub? The one in the fitness center is fabulous. It has steps down with a metal handrail. Mom goes down a few steps and just sits there until she is done. The locker rooms are also great - sauna, steam room, showers and lots of towels. There is also a handicapped shower, which is a nice alternative to your room. You can use as many towels as you like, not steam up your cabin, and walk away from it.

San Juan and St. Thomas should be no problem for you. These are US territories and the infrastructure is very good. What have you planned for these ports? The cabs will be fine in San Juan, but St. Thomas has the safari style cabs which might not work for you. I might try to reserve a regular cab to take an island tour. There is a wonderful shopping center right by the pier in St. Thomas that could occupy a lot of time for you and mom. I've not been to Samana or Labadee - I thought Labadee has a dock or is that not yet finished? I'd skip Samana entirely - from what I understand there is not much there.

If you have a handicapped cabin it will have an emergency call button by the bed and in the bathroom plus, of course, the telephone. Do you feel comfortable leaving your mom by herself for a while? If so, you should set aside some time in Samana and Labadee so you can go ashore for a bit. What I did last year was to wedge the door to the cabin open when I was off the ship. During the day the stewards are always around in the hallways, and I felt mom could call out to someone if the door was not completely shut. Also, be prepared to be a gofer. Room Service is great, but you have to wait for it. It was much easier to just go and get it in the Windjammer or Cafe Promenade. Coffee transports very well in the large plastic glasses (as opposed to the small cups) - if you have one of those cardboard drink carriers from a fast food place that would be good to take. If I was getting breakfast or lunch, I would get two plates and silverware and put all the food on one plate to divide back in the room. For "eating out" the MDR is open daily for breakfast and on sea days for lunch. Much better than the Windjammer for someone who has mobility issues. Also, IMO the food is better.

Is your mom interested in the hot tub? The one in the fitness center is fabulous. It has steps down with a metal handrail. Mom goes down a few steps and just sits there until she is done. The locker rooms are also great - sauna, steam room, showers and lots of towels. There is also a handicapped shower, which is a nice alternative to your room. You can use as many towels as you like, not steam up your cabin, and walk away from it.

Once again, all of you have been extremely helpful. We thank you for your concerns and your assistance. Thankfully, San Juan and St. Thomas do not pose a problem for us. We are meeting relatives in San Juan and are very familiar with St. Thomas, so we are not concerned. We've already made arrangements for an all-day, all-inclusive day pass in a hotel in Samana where we will spend the day under cover of umbrellas and beach chairs. We will have lunch and take part in their activities. Getting off the ship may be a problem - my only hope is that the cruise line has experience with this and will handle getting on and off the tender:eek:. As it turns out Labadee is just a beach and we may or may not participate that day. At this point we are thinking about making it a "spa" day and taking advantage of all the ship has to offer without the crowds. We'll see. Mother will not be staying alone. She will have a travel companion and yes, she will be in a handicapped cabin. Thanks again.

Archived