Question for the Ladies

nucrewzers

My G/F is wondering if she can rent a formal outfit on board.

She doesn't wanna spend a ton of $$$ on something "I won't wear all that much"

I would pay for it myself, but I'm springing for the price of the cruise. ;)

I would either go to resale shops or Ebay. You can also catch good sales at Dillards. But she doesn't have to wear a Formal so to speak unless that is what she wants to do. You will see people dressed from Sun Dresses, Church wear all the way to formals. That's my two cents worth :D.

I have no idea about rentals although I doubt it. But one idea might be that she buy something that she can also wear to all the holiday work/friend parties that come up around the end of the year. Maybe something with an optional matching jacket or shawl and then just use the dress on the cruise if it's warm.

I'll probably be one of those underdressed one's. :o Oh wait, I did buy a sequined tank top. Maybe that's fancy enough. :D

Have her find a cute black dress that all girls need in there closest, add a cute pair of shoes she likes and jewelery. She will look fantastic! Formal nights not anymore, elegant nights yes. Have a great cruise!

Tell her to shop the clearance racks at JC Penney, Macy's, and Sears. She could also try TJ Maxx, Ross Dress For Less, and Marshall's. Even if she could rent a formal outfit on board (which I don't think she can), I'd be willing to bet that buying a cute dress from one of the stores listed above would be cheaper.

No need to spend $$$. I second ebay or a resale shop, but there is no real reason to even go that far. A nice pair of black pants and a pretty top will be fine.

This is what I was going to recommend, a nice pair of black slacks and a really nice top that she can get off of EBay cheap. I saw so many women dressed in nice pant suits. If she has any really nice clothes in her closet, just work with them instead of spending a lot of money just for a cruise.

Ladies rental wear used to consist of a gold lame shell and a long black velvet skirt. Do not know about the shoes.

Here is the link for formal wear rentals. Looks like only tuxedos are available.

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/Default.aspx?cat=Formal+Wear+Rentals

For the cost might as well buy something. Lot's of gals get by with a nice pair of (usually black) slacks and a fancy top.

ok, so you can go to: Dillards Clearance, Macys, all the above places mentioned by others, and you can go to Goodwill OR Savers. I have donated clothes, and I have purchased clothes, there. The other day, I bought an Ann Taylor fitted blouse, I think it cost $3.00, and a tailored short black jacket that I paired with a silk shell and black pants. The entire outfit cost $10.00! And now I have this expensive looking well made jacket to go with almost anything. Go and check it out! What have you got to lose except for a few bucks? Remember the money goes to a good cause, you are being green, and recycling clothes. There is nothing more satisfying than finding a really great deal, getting it drycleaned, and looking like you spent a million bucks. It's the American Way!! Enjoy your cruise....I leave this Sunday on the Splendor....I am off from work so I am officially in the crusing vacation mode! And I will be wearing that Ann Taylor blouse on the cruise. LOL!

ok, so you can go to: Dillards Clearance, Macys, all the above places mentioned by others, and you can go to Goodwill OR Savers. I have donated clothes, and I have purchased clothes, there. The other day, I bought an Ann Taylor fitted blouse, I think it cost $3.00, and a tailored short black jacket that I paired with a silk shell and black pants. The entire outfit cost $10.00!

You are so right! I'd forgotten what good deals are to be had from Goodwill and Salvation Army. Here in South Florida we have a lot of well-off people who donate their designer clothes to second-hand shops. Some of the items are like new and can be had for a few bucks only.

On our honeymoon, we forgot our formalwear. :eek: So, I go down to shops to see what they have....no offense, but being 21 at the time, I was not going to fit into ANYTHING they had. I went to the pursers desk and the very helpful lady there said she had a dress I could borrow since I looked about her size. It fit perfectly! I was very thankful for her generosity. I'm just giving you a heads up that what's on board might not be her style. My husband however was able to rent a tux (for $89!).

First off, I'd have her go through her clothes and see what she has. Nice pants/slacks and with a nice top/blouse will suffice. Or even a Sunday dress or anything fancier than that will do as well. It's up to her.

They have some lovely dresses in JC Penney right now $40-$60 and would double up for a Christmas dress.

Other than that I vote for eBay just check and double check the sizes, length etc and ask questions if you are not sure, I have just had a lady buy a pair of silver shoes from me advertised as girls size 11 and she bought them to go with a dress for a wedding she was attending she is over 6 foot and a size 11 adult!! Any good seller will be happy to answer all your questions and give extra measurements.

Tell her to try eBay. Granted, she can't try it on, but they have some decent gowns going for cheap there. Search "bridesmaid dresses" and "cocktail dresses"...there are some brands out there that make some nice gowns that can be had for cheap from people wanting to get rid of them. I got a well-known brand name gown for $12 for my last cruise.

Have done it all -

long black skirt/pants with dressy top

fancy dresses from ebay

gowns from thrift stores

new dresses from discount stores (Ross/Kohls)

even just my good ole Sunday best

it is your cruise - do what makes you feel comfortable

I would think that you , not being married to her, would just take her shopping!!!

I always thought it was a blast to have "my girl" come out of the dressing room in a slinky, sexy number, and then think that when we were out, she was the most beautiful lady on the planet!!!!

Oh well, just a thought.............

PS. Married over 30 yrs now, she is still the most beautiful lady on the planet, and I still love her putting on the fashion show coming out of the dressing room!!!!!!!!:):):):)

Just realized you live in Costa Mesa. If you want to schlep a bit Jessica McClintock has an outlet here in Montclair-

5458 MORENO ST

MONTCLAIR, CA 91763

Lot's of dresses at 40% off the outlet price. DD got a cute dress there for around $20. Lot's of sizes, but the 14-20 range is very limited.

Archived