no laundromat, so how big is the laundry bag?

Dr.Cindy

I'm cruising for 12 days on the Jade in 2 weeks. I just found out they removed their coin-operated laundromats at the beginning of this year! They supposedly offer to wash a bag of laundry for you for $20-25. Does anyone have any personal experience with this? The NCL rep could only tell me it was a decent sized bag, but that means nothing to me. I still can't believe they took out the laundromat...:mad:

It's not much bigger than a paper supermarket bag. For $25.00 they washed, pressed, and folded everything. My shirts were returned on hangers, and undies were folded into a basket, and "Giftwrapped" with tissue paper.

Nice touch.

The only reason that I sent the laundry, was being on a 14 day cruise. Needed clean clothes.

The bag is really small. Mesures 8 " wide x 14" high x !6" inches long. Best way to pack the bag is to roll the dirty laundry rather than just dropping it in. It's $20 bucks a bag. Outragious!

This is where the duct tape comes in handy. Give it a couple of turns around the bag, bottom and top and you're good to go!!

You can actually fit quite a lot in the bag when you pack it correctly. I think I put 2 pair of jeans, 4 or 5 polos, some t's and socks and undees for 2 people for a week. They come back so nice and pressed. Just make sure you take the tags off they iron on - they scratch.!! :) As the other poster said we didn't have much choice - flying from Australia to UK and then on a Baltics cruise. Actually the laundry service was much cheaper than a laudromat in the UK - now that was outrageous - it cost me something like the equivalent of $50 AUS to do 2 loads of washing and 2 loads of drying and most of the clothes were still wet - just ran out of money to finish them off. - mummsie

I get about $75-90 worth of cleaning at per item prices in one bag. last time it was 10 collared shirts 2 dress shirts 4 kids shirts 2 pairs of shorts 12 pieces assorted underwear, some pj's and 2 pair of pants...and there still was room

also the $1 per item pressing the first night is something really good.

One of our CC friends on our Pearl PC Repo last year managed to get more than 40 items in their bag, but since he's retired U.S. Navy, he counts as a professional bag packer. :rolleyes:

Wow... I want to know how to do that!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: Ask him and post it here!!!!! :p

I'll take advantage of the $1.00 per item to press on the first day!

Thanks!:)

We fit all 34 of our dirty clothes in the bag a few weeks ago. Could have fit more if we had it. We folded/laid everything out to the length of the bag (it was $25). We put the first item in, and then put the next item on our daily, and slid it in and pulled the daily out. We continued to do that until all the clothes were loaded.

A few of the t-shirts came back a bit faded..not anything that bothered us, but it was noticeable. I had marked the bag cold water only. The undershirts were pressed and on hangers, as was everything except undies. They were folded and put in a basket. They did a great job on the ironing, and it was worth it for that. We had t-shirts, capri's, golf shirts, slacks, pj's, and undies.

Can you still get an iron from the steward to use in the room? My DW is kind of counting on that. ;)

It is my understanding that you can. We gave them one bag and they gave us two back. Definitely worth the $24.95 to not have to worry about doing laundry.

While the bags appear small, you really can get quite a lot in them (and yes, the duct tape does come in handy here, as they're not very sturdy). If you've ever had laundry done for a fee on shore, you'll realize that the $25 charge really isn't all that expensive.

We were on an 11 day cruise, spending a few days in port on either end. The $25 deal was offered twice on our 11 day cruise. We took advantage of both, and I came home with clean clothes.

Inded, everything that needed to be hung was hung, other stuff neatly folded, it all was just fine (but yes, those little tags are scratchy!)

Can you still get an iron from the steward to use in the room? My DW is kind of counting on that. ;)

I was going to ask that question when I was on the Star last week but the $1 per item pressing special on the first night was too good for me to pass up. If you pack things in plastic dry cleaner bags, they don't wrinkle very much either. I was surprised at how well things packed.

When we were on the Spirit, owners suite, our cabin stewrd put our dirty clothes in a pillow case. This way we got more in and the bad did not rip and everything thing came back clean for the same price

Hmm...wonder if that's a suite perk? ....using the pillow case. If not, it sounds like a great idea!

We've been able to fit around about 8 items in (pants and shirts) without trying. Obviously pants take up more room than shirts. I could probably do 10 shirts without a problem. If you really try hard, you could probably squeeze in 15-20 items without breaking the bag.

When do you get your things back if you use the "first day iron special"??? I never leave home without my travel iron, but if they can do all at one time I just may have a first here.... :eek: Hmmm, the things I could pack instead of the travel iron..... ;)

When do you get your things back if you use the "first day iron special"??? I never leave home without my travel iron, but if they can do all at one time I just may have a first here.... :eek: Hmmm, the things I could pack instead of the travel iron..... ;)

sent them out on Saturday and they were back on Sunday evening.

I get about $75-90 worth of cleaning at per item prices in one bag. last time it was 10 collared shirts 2 dress shirts 4 kids shirts 2 pairs of shorts 12 pieces assorted underwear, some pj's and 2 pair of pants...and there still was room

also the $1 per item pressing the first night is something really good.

I could have sold you the bag, at half price, I won at the Latitudes party. I never used it.:D

They'd really prefer if you not bring your travel iron! They're a real fire hazard on a ship! They have irons (and ironing boards) to lend -- just ask your room steward. He'll bring it, and come back in a couple of hours to see if you're done with it.

I have seen irons confiscated upon check-in, returned at the end of the cruise, by the way.

I have no problems with travel irons, but what are you going to iron on? A table, a couch, a bed? There is the Fire Prevention Act of 1974 which requires using irons with ironing boards....

They'd really prefer if you not bring your travel iron! They're a real fire hazard on a ship! They have irons (and ironing boards) to lend -- just ask your room steward. He'll bring it, and come back in a couple of hours to see if you're done with it.

I have seen irons confiscated upon check-in, returned at the end of the cruise, by the way.

They took DW's iron this month on the Star. I got a laugh out of the guy when I asked him not to drink the booze she had inside the iron.:D:D

Archived