So are drinks really $10 now?

Krissta

Wow! What do they put in these $425 dollar drinks? And to think that someone was complaining about $10 drinks.

Yes, I saw I missed the decimal point, didnt think it was worth editing to add it. lol. Yep that would be a lot.

They had $4.75 screwdrivers and bloody marys each morning I think on Ecstasy. We had much better drink specials on Ecstasy than on Conquest that I saw. must vary a lot by ship.

Yes, I saw I missed the decimal point, didnt think it was worth editing to add it. lol. Yep that would be a lot.

They had $4.75 screwdrivers and bloody marys each morning I think on Ecstasy. We had much better drink specials on Ecstasy than on Conquest that I saw. must vary a lot by ship.

It does seem to vary by ship as well as homeport. Drinks have been more expensive (along with the duty free shops) on the Norfolk and Baltimore sailings we have done. Sail from Florida and it's all cheaper for some reason. We did note about a $1-$2 per drink increase between Jan. and May pretty much across the board on any drink we ordered but weren't sure whether or not it was fleetwide or because we were back sailing from the "north" again. DODs were something like $8.95 with the glass, $7.95 without. And LITs which used to be around $8 with tip were now over $10. Basic highballs like rum and coke bourbon/ginger were $5.95 or so plus tip.

Just got off the Splendor. A Martini was $10.29 including tip. And I noticed that they also charged tax on the martini I ordered as we were leaving L A. Ca sales tax. Only time we were charged tax. But I will say the martini was well worth it!

16 oz Bud Light was $6.15 including tip.

And Foster's was $7.76 including tip..... So Fosters was the best deal.

16 oz Bud Light was $6.15 including tip.

Was that with tax too? I sure hope so..........if so then the 16 oz on sailings out of Calif. are still $5.00 like what we paid last year on the Elation........according to the Dream drink menu they are $4.95.........different on different sailings......

Is it a TIP or is it a FEE?

Why should anyone provide a TIP if you go up to the bar and order your own drink and/or food?

Do you tip your WENDY , McDonald, BurgerKing, Arby, Jack in the Box, ...etc..etc...servers?:eek:;)

Do you tip the clerk in the Liquor store for ringing up your purchases?

The costs associated with drinks of alcohol beverages aboard are high but near what the market will bear.

The TIPPING is IMHO ..in one word....::

ABSURD!

Why should anyone provide a TIP if you go up to the bar and order your own drink and/or food?

Do you tip your WENDY , McDonald, BurgerKing, Arby, Jack in the Box, ...etc..etc...servers?:eek:;)

The costs associated with drinks of alcohol beverages aboard are high but near what the market will bear.

ABSURD!

It's nothing like tipping at McDonalds (and for the record I don't tip fast food joint, Starbucks, buffets where you don't get real service, etc, etc). What it is like is being in your local bar and having them mix a drink for you. If you're not tipping your bartender, then you are a cheapskate and a schmuck. YES bartenders and barmaids get tipped, they should get tipped, it is part of their income. They deserve it.

Was that with tax too? I sure hope so..........if so then the 16 oz on sailings out of Calif. are still $5.00 like what we paid last year on the Elation........according to the Dream drink menu they are $4.95.........different on different sailings......

$6.15 was for 16oz Bud Light was beer and tip, no tax.....

ABSURD!

WOW! I not only kept the tips in place everywhere but I also tipped extra on top of that on the last night of the cruise in those venues where they took real good care of me (karaoke lounge-same server & bartender every night) they got extra.

My double jack & cokes are $12.50 plus tip = $14.38. But let me tell you they were so strong that I think it contained at least 5 shots in that double. 16 oz Bud light was $4.95 + tip = $5.69. That was the cost on the Elation last weekend. I just looked it up on my sail & sign statement.

Isn't that funny.....I am looking at my Dec. 08 Elation bill and we were charged $5.00 plus gratuity a total of $5.75 for a 16 oz bud.........

I guess they charge more in the winter months:confused:

Kurbanfan: I just got off the Elation Monday and this is what we were charged in the Cole Porter lounge everytime. When I got my double jack daniels & coke ($12.50) and the bud lite (4.95) together it was $17.45+tip = $20.07 so that comes out the same everywhere we got it. Not sure why they charged you a nickel more last December but nothing Carnival does makes a lot of sense.

My double jack & cokes are $12.50 plus tip = $14.38. But let me tell you they were so strong that I think it contained at least 5 shots in that double. 16 oz Bud light was $4.95 + tip = $5.69. That was the cost on the Elation last weekend. I just looked it up on my sail & sign statement.

I think the strength of the drinks can vary between ships as well - probably depending on management on each ship. I've been on cruises where one drink knocked me over and it wasn't even a double.

Our last cruise on the Pride was where I first noticed the over $10 drinks and sadly I started to wonder if they were actually watering down the liquor on top of it. I'm a complete lightweight and one good martini usially has me feeling pretty happy but nothing with these. I also drink malibu/pineapple a lot and no matter where I ordered it on the ship they very carefully measured an exact shot - no free pours or a little extra. Thought it might be a new fleetwide measure to save costs but sounds like it varies some.

Ok I'm going next Sunday on Splendor and it's my first cruise and I have a question and it may sound stupid but I'm confused reading these posts on tips tax ect. so if a Beer is 4.95 is within that price is tax & 15% too? :confused:

No it is not.

It is $4.95 plus 15% gratuity. If you are still in the embarkation port, depending on the port, they have to charge sales tax. Once the ship sails, then the sales tax is no longer charged.

Dave

ABSURD!

I have a friend that is a bartender on RCCL...he works very hard (usually 18 and sometimes up to 20 hours a day when at sea) and he told me that the only pay they get is the tips (the 15% gratutity that is added on our drinks) Since then, I have always tipped my bartender extra at the end of the week (if I frequented the same person :) ) Think about how many waiters/waitresses there are and how much they can/cannot make, depending on the area that they work in...they do rotate them I believe to ensure fairness of the "busier" areas. Just a little tidbit :)

No it is not.

It is $4.95 plus 15% gratuity. If you are still in the embarkation port, depending on the port, they have to charge sales tax. Once the ship sails, then the sales tax is no longer charged.

Dave

EXACTLY . . . and when you consider that Bud is a 16 ounce, to put it in perspective with a standard 12 ounce can or bottle of beer that would be the equivalent of $3.71 per bottle or can ($3.38 equivalency if you buy a bucket :D). Nothing wrong with those prices, IMHO. :)

EXACTLY . . . and when you consider that Bud is a 16 ounce, to put it in perspective with a standard 12 ounce can or bottle of beer that would be the equivalent of $3.71 per bottle or can ($3.38 equivalency if you buy a bucket :D). Nothing wrong with those prices, IMHO. :)

Until you get into port in Mexico:D

We just got off the Splendor yesterday and had the exact drink menu from zydeco's link earlier in the thread. My usual Asolute Citron vodka drink was $5.75 plus 15% tip, a reasonable price to me. We stayed at the Hilton the night before cruising and a Smirnoff was $8! DH was surprised that the Corona was only $4.95 since he paid $5 on the Spirit in March. I never saw anyone on board complaining about the drink prices, but then I try to avoid those negative people.

Archived