Onboard Carnival Elation

wrf2e

Ok I am on the Carnival Elation getting ready for the 4 day trip Catalina and Ensenada. I will stay on for the 3 day back to Ensanada so if anyone has any questions about the ship or if you want a pic of something let me know. I will check back before we set sail at 10pm local time and again when I get back on the 26th. I am in cabin R52 and will move to R183 next cruise. This cabin is a 1A and the next is a 6B ocean view so I will have plenty of pics about those cabins. We are late leaving tonight because they are still dealing with the azipod problem from the last cruise.

ps my spelling and grammar may be bad because I am using my phones internet.

Ok I am on the Carnival Elation getting ready for the 4 day trip Catalina and Ensenada. I will stay on for the 3 day back to Ensanada so if anyone has any questions about the ship or if you want a pic of something let me know. I will check back before we set sail at 10pm local time and again when I get back on the 26th. I am in cabin R52 and will move to R183 next cruise. This cabin is a 1A and the next is a 6B ocean view so I will have plenty of pics about those cabins. We are late leaving tonight because they are still dealing with the azipod problem from the last cruise.

ps my spelling and grammar may be bad because I am using my phones internet.

Just wondering...What is the azipod problem and what does it do? Thank you and have a great b2b!

I was on the previous cruise of the ELATION (just got off this morning). On our cruise, we returned to San Diego to take a sick passenger off (we were told :rolleyes:), but stayed in port until late also because of the "azipod" system. We still made Ensenada (its actually very close) in about 6 hours.

The azipod system is a very unique system which allows great manueverability of the ship in port (separate self-contained pods of electric motor and prop, which can rotate in any direction), however, different members of the crew have told me its not as efficient as the standard methods which they've gone back to on the newer ships. Was news to me ! ! :eek:

I suspect Carnival is still working on the repair of this system every chance they get, while still trying to maintain their sailing schedules. :)

I was on the previous cruise of the ELATION (just got off this morning). On our cruise, we returned to San Diego to take a sick passenger off (we were told :rolleyes:), but stayed in port until late also because of the "azipod" system. We still made Ensenada (its actually very close) in about 6 hours.

The azipod system is a very unique system which allows great manueverability of the ship in port (separate self-contained pods of electric motor and prop, which can rotate in any direction), however, different members of the crew have told me its not as efficient as the standard methods which they've gone back to on the newer ships. Was news to me ! ! :eek:

I suspect Carnival is still working on the repair of this system every chance they get, while still trying to maintain their sailing schedules. :)

That's very interesting. The worst vibration we ever felt was on the Splendor this past May when we were porting in Long Beach. It was so bad in the dining room, it was literally rattling the glasses off the tables. We thought it was the Azipods, but maybe not?

Also, I'll be interested in knowing, if you are buying any alcohol either aboard the ship or in port on the first leg, if they will deliver it to your room the last night of the first leg or hold it until the last night of the second leg. We're hearing it could go either way and we're curious as to what your experience might be. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

That's very interesting. The worst vibration we ever felt was on the Splendor this past May when we were porting in Long Beach. It was so bad in the dining room, it was literally rattling the glasses off the tables. We thought it was the Azipods, but maybe not?

I was on the SPLENDOR 7 weeks ago and that is when I learned from a member of the crew that the SPLENDOR was equipped with "standard" shaft'n'screw propulsion because it was more efficient. I assume this means in "straight line" cruising, which is probably 99% of the time. The vibration you may have experienced was probably from the thrusters (particularly in the bow) they use to move the ship sideways. The large tugs they use to position the ship may have also caused a vibration ? Wish I had learned more about this change, also, as I thought (incorrectly it seems) that the azipod system had revolutionized the industry and all new ships had this system.

Also, I'll be interested in knowing, if you are buying any alcohol either aboard the ship or in port on the first leg, if they will deliver it to your room the last night of the first leg or hold it until the last night of the second leg. We're hearing it could go either way and we're curious as to what your experience might be. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

I didn't buy any booze in bottles on the ship or in port, so I can't comment on this. Sorry :( In the past, I recall, Carnival had you pickup your booze the last night of the CRUISE.

Thanks for all the questions and well wishes. I am using my phone for this so sorry for the grammar/spelling.

I will try to get some of your questions answered today. As far as the food goes everything has been great so far and I will provide a complete run down after I return in my review. I don't plan on buying a coke card but it looks like other guests are getting theirs in glasses. I probably won't get any bottled alcohol but on my last b2b on the Imagination it was returned to my cabin between cruises so I had it for the second leg.

I'll be back in San Diego on the 26th so keep the questions coming.

Thanks for all the questions and well wishes. I am using my phone for this so sorry for the grammar/spelling.

I will try to get some of your questions answered today. As far as the food goes everything has been great so far and I will provide a complete run down after I return in my review. I don't plan on buying a coke card but it looks like other guests are getting theirs in glasses. I probably won't get any bottled alcohol but on my last b2b on the Imagination it was returned to my cabin between cruises so I had it for the second leg.

I'll be back in San Diego on the 26th so keep the questions coming.

Thank you so much wrf2e, you answered my question.

If you find the time I would love to know some picture frame info. I had asked a bit ago and got this answer There were also some wood frames available that said "Carnival" underneath as well as some that were sort of "earthy" (made with leaves and other things like that). Also, like what the previous poster stated, there are some leather like double stand up frames where you place a picture on one side and then have a picture of the ship on the other side. They posted that folder one was around $8 or $9. I'd like to know the prices of any others that are 8x10. I thanked them for the info at the time but didn't think about pricing.

If you're at the shore excursion desk I'm curious to know if the segway tour and also the botanical garden tour are already full for Nov 9 or not offered. Neither show up as options for our cruise.

Thanks!

Sherry

If you find the time I would love to know some picture frame info. I had asked a bit ago and got this answer There were also some wood frames available that said "Carnival" underneath as well as some that were sort of "earthy" (made with leaves and other things like that). Also, like what the previous poster stated, there are some leather like double stand up frames where you place a picture on one side and then have a picture of the ship on the other side. They posted that folder one was around $8 or $9. I'd like to know the prices of any others that are 8x10. I thanked them for the info at the time but didn't think about pricing.

If you're at the shore excursion desk I'm curious to know if the segway tour and also the botanical garden tour are already full for Nov 9 or not offered. Neither show up as options for our cruise.

Thanks!

Sherry

Ok, they had about 5 different 8x10 frames in different styles. They ranged in price from $7.99 - $9.99. I was going to take some pics of them so you could see what they looked like but I didn't want them to think I was trying to copy one of their pictures.

As far as the shore excursions go I was told that they didn't have access to future cruises onboard the ship (something about there systems are updated every time they are in San Diego and that is when they are switched to the next cruise). They suggested calling the 800 number and they would probably be able to help you.

Can't wait to see the pics of the Oceanview room. I might be on this cruise in April! :)

Ok...I am back and about to start my review but I thought I would post a link for the pics of the 6B Ocean View Cabin because it may be a few days until I get there in the review, so here is the link to the pics i posted on photobucket.

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e214/wrf2e/Elation%206B%20Ocean%20View%20Cabin/

NCLCSR....It appears that the azipod issue was taken care of before the 3 day cruise because we did leave on time, but I never heard for sure.

Archived