Would we be comfortable on HAL?

woofdog

We are 2 time NCL cruisers, really enjoying the free-style experience. I am currently looking at the 10-day Panama Canal RT from Ft Lauderdale cruise with HAL.

We like to be left to our own devices on the ship, love excursions and will probably book some sort of suite in the aft area.

Any input would be valuable!

TIA! :)

WOOF!

After 2 cruises on NCL, we decided to try HAL and chose the Eurodam and loved it.

How does it compare? We prefered the food on HAL (both buffet and main dining room), the much better in-room dining options and liked the dressier atmosphere of formal nights. We are also independent people when it comes to ship activities and excursions and HAL certainly allowed us to do that.

After 2 cruises on NCL, we decided to try HAL and chose the Eurodam and loved it.

How does it compare? We prefered the food on HAL (both buffet and main dining room), the much better in-room dining options and liked the dressier atmosphere of formal nights. We are also independent people when it comes to ship activities and excursions and HAL certainly allowed us to do that.

Thanks so much for your response. We really enjoyed the free-style lifestyle and eating (we're not especially picky eaters :D) and really dont want to ever have to dress up on vacation (tho I dont fault those who enjoy that experience).

We're looking at the possibility of a suite in the aft area. Any thoughts on those? (we really love room 9170 on the Pearl and have it on courtesy hold for the 14 day Panama Canal cruise 09/2010.)

The aft HAL suites are gorgeous.

If you don't want to dress for formal dinners, you might want to check out ordering room service off the main dining room menu and having if served course by course on your aft suite balcony. It was an amazing experience on Zuiderdam 2 years ago.

However, if you want to wear t shirts/jeans/shorts all the time, HAL probably isn't for you. Even on casual nights, t's aren't welcome in the MDR (shirts with collar instead) Enforcement *seems* to be increasing, based on posts here and my experiences this summer.

I'm reluctant to steer anyone away from HAL, but want to be honest about enforcement I've seen of the dress code. HAL is very different from NCL in this respect, and I don't think that's going to change anytime in the near future.

The aft HAL suites are gorgeous.

If you don't want to dress for formal dinners, you might want to check out ordering room service off the main dining room menu and having if served course by course on your aft suite balcony. It was an amazing experience on Zuiderdam 2 years ago.

However, if you want to wear t shirts/jeans/shorts all the time, HAL probably isn't for you. Even on casual nights, t's aren't welcome in the MDR (shirts with collar instead) Enforcement *seems* to be increasing, based on posts here and my experiences this summer.

I'm reluctant to steer anyone away from HAL, but want to be honest about enforcement I've seen of the dress code. HAL is very different from NCL in this respect, and I don't think that's going to change anytime in the near future.

Is there a buffet area that could be utilized in lieu of the regular dining rooms? We're not adverse to wearing "nice casual clothes" but would prefer to be in jeans if possible :D

Is there a buffet area that could be utilized in lieu of the regular dining rooms? We're not adverse to wearing "nice casual clothes" but would prefer to be in jeans if possible :D
Yes, the Lido can be used for dinner in casual clothes. Technically the entire ship follows the evening's dress code (which is "smart casual" except for formal nights), but it isn't enforced at all in the Lido. I suggest you lose the shorts and tees before dinner, though.

Catl331 posted while I was typing (and I'm having a heck of a time with this site today!) and told you about the Lido.

In case you haven't run across it that "snart casual" dress code thing, here's a quote from the HAL site:

"Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening."

I have tried both NCL and HAL. MY DH and I spent a good portion of our cruise on the NCL star comparing the two lines. I noticed several differences between the two cruiselines. NCL was a wonderful cruise, but I did think that the food was better on HAL, even though I enjoyed multiple restaurants to choose from on NCL. I also thought that the rooms, both public and private were nicer on HAL. HAL has a softer sales pitch for everything on board, which I like. NCL did do better with service in one respect. We had a suite and our concierge, Simone was wonderful. If we didn't visit her she would find us daily to check in and take care of any needs. I also totally love the thermal suite on HAL. Every time I saw a HAL ship in the same port I was wishing I was on the DAM ship. So, in just a few weeks I will once again be on a DAM ship. I expect it to be a wonderful relaxing experience. I hope this helped, at least a little.

Archived