Particular fear of heights

perlgirlnj

Here's a new one (maybe).

I have a fear of heights but only in certain circumstances. I've been ziplining, the helicopter or flightseeing doesn't scare me, I can do cable-cars, etc.

BUT, bring me anywhere within 6 feet of a precipice and I'm a little freaked out. I can hike to the top of a mountain but I can't be anywhere near the edge of the overlook unless there's a railing, in which case I can go right up to it.

So can anyone predict how will I be on a glacier trek with Northstar? Can I choose to not go anywhere near the edge of the crevasse when they're showing it to people? I could get hives just looking at the pictures of people peering over!

I know; everyone's going to say it's up to me. What I really want is for someone to say "It won't be a problem. Go and try it." Anyone?

Perlgirl,

I went on the shorter Glacier Walkabout with my 9 yr old and my husband and other sons went on the 3 hr X-Trek -- all with Northstar. Based on their experiences, I don't think you should do the X-Trek -- it would be a waste of your money. They went into a couple of crevasses and then spent a large amount of the time climbing the ice wall...if you don't think you'd be comfortable climbing up the wall, then save yourself time and money and take the Walkabout or 2 hour. There was nothing on the Walkabout that would make you afraid (assuming you handle the helicopter fine). It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for us and I highly recommend it.

Lynne

It's not worth pushing yourself unless you're sure you can do it. Most glaciers have areas that you can avoid this although most guides will take you to those extremes as people usually like that kind of stuff. I'm with you, though. Discuss it with you guide before hand.

Matanuska Glacier is one we do each summer and there are many areas that don't have any issues like you mentioned. More like rolling hills with an occassional fissure. You can't normally see very far into the fissures and they are easy to avoid. There are times that you need to step across narrow ones...

Not sure if you are planning on going to Denali, but if you are, be forewarned that the road into Denali is one scary road. I researched my trip thoroughly I thought. I never came across anyone who mentioned the steep dropoffs on this road. I was taken totally by surprise when I took that road into the park. No guard rails, dirt road, back end of bus hanging over the dropoff as it makes some of the turns, lane and a half road so the buses have to pull over to let another bus go by in the opposite direction, etc. I was just praying that my bus driver was healthy and wouldn't be having a heart attack on those sharp curves. The bus driver actually asks if anyone might be uncomfortable and will ask if someone will change seats so you can be on the other side of the bus. Not sure what difference that would make if the bus went down the cliff. ;)

Sorry folks! I never mentioned it because so many Alaska roads are worse and I'm so used to them!

I've walked an awful lot of the Denali road. From that point of view, the road is really a good one!

As far as issues with edges and drop offs: I have that problem to a degree and am careful about how close I get to some edges I don't go out on balconies on higher floors on hotels. I don't see it as a phobia, I see it as common sense.

The road in Denali has carried zillions of people over the years with very few accidents. The bus drivers are well trained.

Though I'm sure the roads will give me pause (we're driving to the Yukon from Skagway also, and down to Seward so we have a lot of mountain roads) for some reason, that's not as bad. I guess because I'm not driving it! I never thought about it with the Denali access road but I might like the busdriver's driving better than my husband's!

It's when I'm in control and there are exposed edges. When I've gone hiking and we get to a lookout, I have to sit down or else stay waaaaay back from the edge. Unless there's a railing--even a thin one--and then I can go right up to the edge. Go figure.

Northstar Trek I or II? Will I regret it if I don't push myself to try II? Can I stay away from the edge if it makes me feel uncomfortable?

(Any minute now, BQ is going to remind me how I should be doing Matanuska....... I'm still looking into it but it requires so much reworking of my itinerary that I'm still not wild about it. :o)

The drive to Seward is easy on really good roads. Most of the way you will be at sea level or very close to it.

I had a lot of problems when Annie built her (then) new house as the deck hung out a long way over the edge of a mountain up in the Chugach. Great view of the water! Got used to it after a while and that issue is no longer a problem.

I understand what you are saying! I really do! I am generally OK when hiking when I am in control, but I don't like being in situations where I am told what to do and where to go.

I think it is some sort of genetic survival instinct.

So you are looking for "go ahead" posts???? Sorry, not from me. You must realize, that glacier trekking are NOT Disneyland, and evey trip is different? Yes you will see crevasses. So either, you are going to have to get "over" it, or go on a private tour.

Not sure if you are planning on going to Denali, but if you are, be forewarned that the road into Denali is one scary road. I researched my trip thoroughly I thought. I never came across anyone who mentioned the steep dropoffs on this road. I was taken totally by surprise when I took that road into the park. No guard rails, dirt road, back end of bus hanging over the dropoff as it makes some of the turns, lane and a half road so the buses have to pull over to let another bus go by in the opposite direction, etc. I was just praying that my bus driver was healthy and wouldn't be having a heart attack on those sharp curves. The bus driver actually asks if anyone might be uncomfortable and will ask if someone will change seats so you can be on the other side of the bus. Not sure what difference that would make if the bus went down the cliff. ;)

We stayed at the Grand Denali which was awsome,but the road down was definetly curvy and steep.just glad I wasn't driving.LOL

Archived