Ipod on cruise?

Cozzette2

I am assuming you have a wall charger, and not just a USB cable to connect to and charged from a computer. You'll have to charge it with a wall charger like any other battery operated applicance. Otherwise, you'll have to have a laptop or notebook with you. I don't believe the computers in the cafe allow for USB connections, though they might have them on the monitors (not sure).

I have a little portable speaker system that plugs in and then I connect the ipod to that for charging and listening. They're relatively inexpensive these days.

Yes, all cabins have at least one US standard electrical outlet, just like the one on your wall at home.

This may also sound like a silly question, is there just a single US electrical outlet oir do they also have British or European ones?

My husband thinks that we only pay for computor usage while on line and we only need to have the laptop on to recharge, true?

Your husband is correct. You only pay for the time you are online. There are packages available, and usually they add 30 minutes if you sign up the first day. However, be sure to LOG OUT as set forth in the instructions on the ship. I think you type in http:/1.1.1.1 or something like that. It tells you how do go offline in the instructions. Just make sure you do it, otherwise you will burn through your internet minutes.

You only pay for computer time if you are online. I take my computer all the time and never go online. I use it for pictures and video.

I also never leave home without an Ipod. got 3 or 4 of them. Go buy a wall adapter. they cost about 15 dollars at electronic store. They actually use your USB cable. small and easy to use and dont have to use computer.

John

I also have a small speaker that allows us to listen to a few tunes in our cabin (no, not on the balcony as was discussed in a recent thread!). The sound is pretty good, of course not as good as our Bose system at home but quite acceptable, and then I use it to charge the iPod as well. They are readily available these days, and mine is fairly small and portable.

I usually recharge using my computor. It sounds like I need a convertor. I am bringing my laptop but wouldn't that cost a fortune having it on while recharging?

Kris

You don't have to have your computer connected to the Internet while you are charging your Ipod. It is free to have the computer on. You only pay extra if it is connected to the Internet.

This may also sound like a silly question, is there just a single US electrical outlet oir do they also have British or European ones?

It is not a silly question. I am from the US and thus don't pay any attention to the non-US outlets. Here is what Princess has to say ...

Each stateroom has other luxuries for your convenience, such as a private safe and refrigerator. In addition, each room is equipped with a 110-volt, 60-cycle alternating current (AC) with standard U.S. plug fittings. Please ask your stateroom steward to check your appliances for suitability before use if you have any questions. All ships are equipped with an electric hair dryer in every stateroom.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

It is not a silly question. I am from the US and thus don't pay any attention to the non-US outlets. Here is what Princess has to say ...

Each stateroom has other luxuries for your convenience, such as a private safe and refrigerator. In addition, each room is equipped with a 110-volt, 60-cycle alternating current (AC) with standard U.S. plug fittings. Please ask your stateroom steward to check your appliances for suitability before use if you have any questions. All ships are equipped with an electric hair dryer in every stateroom.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

Thanks for that will contact Princess for a definitive answer as i will have lots of camera batteries to charge lol.

Most, although not all, electronics will take "universal voltage"; all you need to usually do is adapt the plug.

However, some electronics cut fifty cents off the cost by using single-voltage adapters. A $80 "travel" white noise machine I own did so, and I melted its adapter in France.

For you European readers, if the label says it takes 110V 60Hz, you will be fine, and all you need is a cheapo plug adapter. If it is 50Hz, leave it at home; you'll melt it down if you try to use it. If it'll take 220V 60Hz, you can use a transformer.

SirWired

If you only have a USB cable for you ipod, Apple (and I'm sure others) have adapters that change the USB plug to a regular electrical plug. I got it with my iphone and also one with my Kindle. Works great, and usually a lot less bulky than an AC adapter.

Here is a link to the apple adapter at Amazon, but you can get it other places as well.

Any idea where I can get one of these in the UK, bearing in mind my plugs are UK or European connection.

I don't know about brick & mortar places in the UK, but here is a selection from Amazon's UK web site. If you only want it for the ship, the one from Apple with the US plug is probably the best choice, IMO. Otherwise the TeckNet WY-03 Universal Travel Adaptor looks good, because it also adapts plugs either way and converts the volts for other appliances you might bring.

Archived