Suggest PANAMA LOCKS TOUR on Jewel - April 16 2010?

We were just informed that the Panama and Exotic Caribbean Cruise - April 16 (10 nights) on the Jewel of the Seas DOES NOT go through the locks in Panama!

Does anyone know of any tours we can go on where we would travel through the locks on our stop at that port?

Also, overall, is this a good cruise?

Thanks,

Living in Paradise!

When we did this cruise, it was a "partial" transit...it went into the locks into Lake Gatun....that gave us the "flavor" of the Panama Canal.

Now that the ship doesn't go thru any of the locks, you almost have to book a ship's excursion to see anything of interest. Check out the excursions page on RCI's website....(although, it may be too soon for your excursions to be listed...check 90 days out!)....I don't believe you can book anything unless it's through the cruiseline at Panama.

there is an excursion where you take a train and also a ferry type boat through the canal.

The only cruises that do the full transit are at least 14 day cruises. We did one last April and I honestly would love to go through the canal again. It was amazing.

We read the history books and watched the Nova Dvd about the history of Canal before we went. It really added to the enjoyment.

We did the partial transit in Jan 2008. We took the ferry excursion from Gatun Lake and we really enjoyed it. Learn as much as you can before you go and you will really appreciate the history and hardwork that went in to the building of the Canal. The ferry trip made for a long day, but it was well worth it.

I'm with ccletzgo; I would love to go again especially a full transit.

CO26 is the tour that will take you through the Pacific Locks as well as Gaillard Cut, (not the Gaylard Cut mentioned in RCI's tour description:rolleyes:), jumbo1 linked to it. Although a bit pricey it is a very good tour to see a large part of the Canal and some of Panama as well.

Even though they do not enter the Canal, I believe you will still find it to be a great cruise.

We go on the jewel on the 9th Nov and ours original was a partial of the canal but they changed it feb I think. We are doing after a long look at all the excursions the gatun lake eco tour. They are some excursions were all you seem to do is go to the visitor centre. at least with this we may get to see some of the wildlife and possibly some of the locks.

Archived