Grenada question

espmass

we were on the Connie March 20th and while in Grenada took Mondoo's tour-definitely great. Go to Grenada.com or Mandoo.com the tour is $40 per person and he takes you to a water fall, the beach and a spice plantation. He is extremely knowledgable and proud of his country.

Mandoo may be wonderful but 40 dollars US is 55 canadian ....per person...so how wonderful is that?

the market is a waste of time...

the beach is nice but fighting off the vendors isnt ...

next to Casa de Crapo this is the next stop celebrity should stop....

love the Connie but really want them to improve the southern itinerary before I go again in March....

Hello!

Just got back from sailing the Constellation. Fantastic trip.

My family and I have not experienced the Carribean before...we thoroughly enjoyed each port. I thought Grenada was lovely! Very lush, green, mountainous. We did the Mandoo tour and were very happy, as were the others in our group. They lead an interesting and different lifestyle. His tour was about 4 hours (central tour if you look at his site) plus a couple hours at Grand Anse Beach. His counterpart did our tour and was extremely knowledgeable about everything. At $40 pp it was $$ well spent. You already know about the vendors at the beach, so you'll be prepared. If you find a vendor you like, get their name and let the others know that they are tending to you - they will move on. Folks on this island are pretty poor, so for some it's their only way of making money. It just is the way it is.

As for Casa De Campo...again, it's what you make of it. There were so many mixed reviews that I didn't book anything til I got on the ship (except hubby's golf outting to Teeth of the Dog - best golfing he's ever done! $200 pp + caddy). I booked the Bayibe (sp?) excursion and it was fine. My son (11) and I had a great time. Beach was nice and relaxing - free drinks, use of the pool and free use of the clay tennis courts (complete w/ball boy! Did tip him!) I think you need to plan on an excursion...the postings are right regarding nothing at the port. I would not have been comfortable grabbing a cab and heading out alone.

Hope this helps!

Heather

If you want a quiet day in Grenada, go to Magazine Beach at the Aquarium Resturant and Beach Club. $35.00 round trip with taxi, plus tip. ($5)

Only one other couple(!!!!) until lunch time when about 15 to 20 others showed up. Food was good and reasonably priced. Use your credit card to pay.

Alleged best snorkeling from beach on the island. Very, very nice beach and NOT crowded. Free lounge chairs. Three vendors all day long and NOT pushy.

Enjoy, Donald & Laurie

[img]http://www.heathersanimations.com/female/sun_bath.gif[/img]

Celebrity Century 09/07/02 Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Infinity 08/29/03 Alaska IP
Celebrity Constellation 03/06/04 Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit 03/11/05 Southern Caribbean

I agree completely with Heather. We were on the same Mandoo tour, and yes, it certainly is worth the money spent, especially considering the cost of other tours given by the cruise line. In fact, it was one of the least expensive tours and one of the best. We had the most incredible time, and once you get out of the crowded port area, Grenada is simply breathtaking.
My 11 year old son wants to return and do the same tour again! Now that's an endorsement!
The beach was fabulous despite the vendors, and honestly, they weren't all that annoying. We just said "no" a couple of times, and they left us alone. We rented some lounge chairs from a guy who kept the vendors away.
I hope more cruise passengers get to experience this amazing island. You will learn things that you never knew. Here's an example: We learned that loofah comes from a plant on Grenada, and that it's not a sponge in the sea. You could buy unpeeled loofahs right on Grand Anse beach, which some of my fellow cruisers did (and now I wish I had, too).

Archived