Where to stay in Charlotte Amalie?

montymills7

We are flying in to Charlotte Amalie and boarding a Seabourn cruise the next day. I have never been to St. Thomas before and would like to find a place for one night that is close to downtown, so maybe we could have dinner in town and stroll. Any suggestions? The Marriott is fully booked, any other ideas? Thank you.

Generally speaking strolling at night in the downtown area is not encouraged.

In my opinion the night lighting is very poor and all shops etc. are closed, very few folks on the streets. Your best bet is one of the hotels such as the Ritz, Secret Harbour etc. St Thomas has a high crime rate for it's size so be aware.

B.

Hi, thanks for the info. Even considering the fares for taxis from the airport and to the port, you would still stay out of town? Is there an area that has restaurants or do most people stay at their resort? I would also like to be near shopping, where would be the best place?

You might check out the link from Trip Advisor on Charlotte Amalie below.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g147405-Charlotte_Amalie_St_Thomas_U_S_Virgin_Islands-Vacations.html

We have never stayed there although we have been there 8 times on cruises. I know if you get a couple of streets back from the main street it can look a little rough so I'm not sure you would want to spend a lot of time downtown at night. A good hotel with a good restaurant and bar might be preferable.

Be sure to check out the B&B's that are on the site above. We have had great luck staying in one of those when we travel. They don't offer all the benefits that a Marriott might offer but they often offer things you can't find in a big chain hotel.

Have a great next cruise.

You might want to consider Villa Olga in Frenchtown. Frenchtown is known for its restaurants, and they're all within about 3 blocks of Villa Olga and you can "stroll." Frenchtown is just a few blocks from town, so it's actually closer to the airport. No need to stay at a large resort far from town. Beautiful views, too, from Villa Olga. You can google for reviews.

A lot of the neat small b&bs in downtown Charlotte Amalie have 2 or 3 night minimums. But there are several so you might check those out. In town there is a former Holiday Inn, its called Windward Passage Hotel. Bluebeards Castle might be another place to try, and the guesthouse at Blackbeards Castle. Also Mafolie Hotel. None of these are Mariott type places... they are small hotels, guesthouses. Some have good restaurants on site like Mafolie and Bluebeards - both also offer beautiful views so you can sit out on the restaurant deck and enjoy the harbor view. Ditto the comments above about not strolling at night downtown; it is pretty much shut down/dark, a few restaurants in town are open but its best to take a taxi to and from them.

If you headed to Yacht Haven Grande for dinner, their property makes for nice strolling, lots of lights, nice view of the harbor/yachts, security walking around.

--Islander

boarding a Seabourn cruise

Stay at the Ritz-Carlton and get in the right frame of mind. Book through a Virtuoso agent or American Express FHR and get free breakfast, resort credit and possibly upgrade upon arrival.

considering the fares for taxis from the airport and to the port

Rent a car from Avis at the airport and drop across the street from the cruise port. A one day rental is much less than the cabs. We walked our luggage but since I have read, but can not find now, that the guard at the gate will allow you to drive your bags to the ship and then you can drop the car and walk back.

Enjoy your cruise. You may be getting on as we get off. We are on the Spirit five day from Lauderdale to St. Thomas.

Rick

just above the post office at the beginning of town near the shops. Their restaurant is tops. My Daughter and SIL stayed there a few years ago and loved it. I think their rates are fair and less than most resorts because they are not on the water. There are a few other restaurants and bars just around the hotel. Then you get a can for about a 5 min. ride to the ship in the morning and will have time to shop before boarding. It's about 10-15 minutes from airport.

• 4 weeks later...

Monty

Four of us are staying at The Crystal Palace B&B in St Thomas.

Ronnie Lockhart is a 4th generation owner of this world renown

B&B ~~rates are very reasonable. Plus location is perfect!:p

I'm sure you have made your reservation by now ~~sorry I didn't know until yesterday of your being aboard the Spirit Dec. 16th.

May I ask how many in your party?

See 'ya aboard!

Martita B.

• 2 weeks later...

The Ritz is a long way from town and the beach is just OK. I've stayed at the Marriott but I prefer the Best Western at Emerald Beach. You can walk from the airport, beach is great, food is great and it's a short taxi to town.

I would think carefully about walking around after dark as it's considered fairly unsafe.

Archived