Alaska Cruises

My parents just bought a timeshare, and with it get a free cruise. They get to choose the cruise line (I've suggested Carnival), and my dad told me to just take care of the arrangements.

As always, I turn to my CC friends--

Anyone been? Suggestions? the person my dad visited with suggested "taking the train up and taking the cruise back" and I'll admit I'm not quite sure what that means.

Which Alaskan cruises have you taken? Tips and Tricks?

Thanks everyone!

I'm guessing the man your dad talked to was referring to doing a cruisetour. With a one way Alaskan cruise, you have the option of adding 3 or 4 days pre or post cruise to see some of the places you wouldn't get to see on the cruise, usually Denali National Park. Usually you are transported to the different places via train, and then there are hotels or lodges they put you up in at night.

We didn't do this when we went, but I wish we had. It seems like there is so much more to see than what we saw on the cruise.

You should head over to the "Alaska" board on the destinations forum. They have a lot of info over there.

I agree with the previous poster, go to the Alaska board. Budget queen has lots of good suggestions on that board. I did princess one way and rented a car for a week on our own. It was fantastic and lots cheaper than booking the week tour with princess. Too LOTS of planning though. Best trip ever! enjoy

My parents just bought a timeshare, and with it get a free cruise. They get to choose the cruise line (I've suggested Carnival), and my dad told me to just take care of the arrangements.

Anyone been? Suggestions? the person my dad visited with suggested "taking the train up and taking the cruise back" and I'll admit I'm not quite sure what that means.

Thanks everyone!

I would suggest either HAL or Princess for an Alaskan cruise.

Carnival is only doing roundtrip cruises out of Seattle next summer.

Bill

We have done the Spirit in Alaska twice, both time northbound. As state above, next year Carnival will only be doing round trips from Seattle. I am partial to Carnival and would still go from there, but there are several factors to consider. These are: will you be adding a land only excursion? If yes I would suggest one of the other lines. The highlight of an Alaskan cruise are the glaciers. Having the ship get so close and being able to see them up close and personal is amazing. Only thing we have seen that is better is the Grand Canyon. I do not know what the Spirit willbe able to with this as they will not be able to get as far north as College Fiyord (sp?). Read through some of the posts on the Alaska board for more info. Lastly, not sure where you are from, but flying roundtrip from one city (Spirit in Seattle as example) should be significantly cheaper that you would have to do on a one way (in Carnival's case this year either into Vancouver and out of Anchorage or the opposite). Also, it should be noted that an Alaskan cruise is different, more subdued and def. no steel band playing on deck during the day. Good luck in your decision.

We have done the Spirit in Alaska twice, both time northbound. As state above, next year Carnival will only be doing round trips from Seattle. I am partial to Carnival and would still go from there, but there are several factors to consider. These are: will you be adding a land only excursion? If yes I would suggest one of the other lines. The highlight of an Alaskan cruise are the glaciers. Having the ship get so close and being able to see them up close and personal is amazing. Only thing we have seen that is better is the Grand Canyon. I do not know what the Spirit willbe able to with this as they will not be able to get as far north as College Fiyord (sp?). Read through some of the posts on the Alaska board for more info. Lastly, not sure where you are from, but flying roundtrip from one city (Spirit in Seattle as example) should be significantly cheaper that you would have to do on a one way (in Carnival's case this year either into Vancouver and out of Anchorage or the opposite). Also, it should be noted that an Alaskan cruise is different, more subdued and def. no steel band playing on deck during the day. Good luck in your decision.

Gotta agree with Jimbo. Alaska cruises are about Alaska and not the ship. With ports almost every day we were usually heading to bed about 11. When we do Caribbean cruises we are up until at least 1am.

Alaska tires you out but it is awesome.

Also agree about the airfare. If we would have done a round trip from Seattle air from Philly was about $300 pp.

Doing a northbound cruise we had to fly into Vancouver and home from Anchorage. That cost us about $500pp.

Beautiful airport in Anchorage btw.

Bill

Id choose Princess if it was free, wow. (why choose Carnival if both are free, what am I missing????)

I think the food is better on Princess, less children underfoot, if that matters, a few nicer touches than Carnival (Princess is owned by Carnival).

Gotta agree with Jimbo. Alaska cruises are about Alaska and not the ship. With ports almost every day we were usually heading to bed about 11. When we do Caribbean cruises we are up until at least 1am.

Also agree about the airfare. If we would have done a round trip from Seattle air from Philly was about $300 pp.

Doing a northbound cruise we had to fly into Vancouver and home from Anchorage. That cost us about $500pp.

Bill

Small but it is nice, the other thing is that you have so much time to spend in it as the flights (at least back to the east coast) leave much later during the day. It is kind of weird, you actually (at least in Carnival's case) port in Whittier, which is a nothing little town (and I mean nothing) and get on a bus, go through a mountain (not around but through) and then end in Anchorage. Both times we arranged to do something in Anchorage (not sure I mentioned it prior), but if you go one way, def. go northbound as the highlight are the glaciers (which would be at the end of the trip instead of at the beginning going southbound), just my opinion.

Thanks everyone!

There is a Carnival CC group cruise doing Glacier bay 9/7/10 from Seattle and ends in Vancouver...Balcony cabins 8B are $1000PP all fees/taxes included, along with $100 OBC. Simply look under CC group cruises: http://www.cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=189

Id choose Princess if it was free, wow. (why choose Carnival if both are free, what am I missing????)

I think the food is better on Princess, less children underfoot, if that matters, a few nicer touches than Carnival (Princess is owned by Carnival).

I might argue the food point but they would surely have more options with Princess, and most certainly less kids. Free does bring another consideration to it. Actually, if they were going to a land/sea combo I would recommend HAL. They have truly different options than the other lines when it comes to the land packages.

Bill

Bill forgot to sneak this on the last reply.....Go Yankees!!!

There is a Carnival CC group cruise doing Glacier bay 9/7/10 from Seattle and ends in Vancouver...Balcony cabins 8B are $1000PP all fees/taxes included, along with $100 OBC. Simply look under CC group cruises: http://www.cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=189

Good point, I forgot about the couple of one ways they still have.

Small but it is nice, the other thing is that you have so much time to spend in it as the flights (at least back to the east coast) leave much later during the day. It is kind of weird, you actually (at least in Carnival's case) port in Whittier, which is a nothing little town (and I mean nothing) and get on a bus, go through a mountain (not around but through) and then end in Anchorage. Both times we arranged to do something in Anchorage (not sure I mentioned it prior), but if you go one way, def. go northbound as the highlight are the glaciers (which would be at the end of the trip instead of at the beginning going southbound), just my opinion.

That's what we just did. Did the northbound with the glaciers at the end. Was nice since we got to go to Glacier Bay and College Fjord.

At the end we were off the ship at 8:30am and our flight was at 5:30pm. We went to Princess' hospitality center where they kept your bags so you were free to roam around town.

That mountain is pretty wild. Only one way traffic. Of course we got there at about 9:05am and had to sit there until 9:30am when they changed directions.

picture from Mendenhall glacier

mendenhall.jpg

Bill

I would pick HAL. One question is do you want a lot of kids? Fewer with HAL.

You want to spend one day looking at glaishers from the ship. I would consider a one way trip starting or ending in Seattle. Consider air fares if you have to pay them.

I would pick HAL. One question is do you want a lot of kids? Fewer with HAL.

You want to spend one day looking at glaishers from the ship. I would consider a one way trip starting or ending in Seattle. Consider air fares if you have to pay them.

I don't think there are any one ways from Seattle.

Bill

Archived