I will NEVER sail on the Norwegian Majesty again!

rxlowry

Nor will anyone else :-(

We just returned from our sixth cruise aboard the Majesty, which was her last sailing with NCL and were very sad to leave her today. The cruise was wonderful as were each of the previous 5 cruises. We found the service to be great which is what we fell in love with on our first Majesty cruise last year. We were fortunate to be able to experience her so many times these last two years and have made some great friends.

The seas were very rocky both going to and coming from Bermuda, but we understand that the Atlantic Ocean is a much different experience depending on the month in which you sail. We did find some new additions to the menus which were welcomed. Some changes we noticed were some new desserts (banana cream shortcake and a bavarian mocha mousse) as well as a lobster bisque and chicken teriyaki appetizer. Klaus was on board we presume to help the closing activities and we let him know we were sad to see the smaller ships leaving the fleet, but we understand the changing cruise market and see the need for larger ships with "more" to offer than older ships.

We loved sailing to St. George Bermuda and would strongly recommend those sailing to the Dockyard in the future to take a day to travel to St. George to support this wonderfully quaint village with beautiful beaches and a charming character.

We spent an evening at the Swizzle Inn where we enjoyed the crab dip and Swizzles while taking advantage of the free Wi-Fi to check in back home. We also travelled via ferry to the Dockyard to meet a crew member from the Dawn who we had met on the Majesty last year. We had a great lunch at the Frog and Onion and caught up with our friend.

The Majesty was a true gem of a ship that had a character about her that many loved and admittedly a few found less than perfect. For the repeat cruises we encountered on the ship (some in the double digits for the Majesty) we know that she will be sorely missed and fondly remembered.

Thank You to the crew of the Majesty for creating many special memories for me and my family!

I will have to say I almost cried reading your post. The Majesty was our very first cruise and we cruised on her from Boston to Bermuda 11 times. No she does not have all the bells and whistles of the new ships but she has a charm all her own. The crew is one of the best in the industry. We have so many wonderful memories what we shall cherish always. We will miss her very much.

So glad you had a wonderful time. I'm sure it was a bittersweet experience. Our last two cruises were aboard Majesty and we've never encountered a better crew and hotel staff.

Majesty featured cruising the way it used to be. Sure, "sea legs" were often required, but the ship became as familiar and comfortable as a favorite pair of shoes that would transport us to memorable destinations. We've made lifetime friends on that intimate ship.

There are some of us who believe bigger is not always better. I will miss Majesty as she leaves the NCL fleet but wish her the best in her new life. Sadly, it also marks the end of cruises out of Philadelphia, an embarkation port that has so much to offer with its rich history, restaurants, shopping and more.

You can add me to the list of those who will miss the Majesty. Like Philly Steve said she was as comfortable as your favorite pair of shoes. Not only will I miss the ship but will also miss docking in the charming port of St. George. I love Bermuda and will surely return but it just won't be quite the same.

~~Maun

I may be ignoret but what is happening to the Majesty?? My GF and I have not sailed on the Majesty but we are trying to sail on all the NCL ships.

She was sold to Louis Cruise Lines, and she will be sailing in Europe as the Louis Majesty starting in December. The October 24th cruise from Philadelphia was her last for NCL.

We were on the Majesty a few years back. One of the best rough seas trip we ever had. The waves were coming over the bow of the ship. Many many passengers sick. We had one of the few suites on the ship. Other than she doesn't have any balconies, she is a great ship.:)

I'll miss the Majesty too. We were on her last trip to the Baltic capitols. There were lines of people all along the Kiel Canal all day long saying good bye to her. I've also been to Bermuda on her, docking in St. George. This year when I went to Bermuda on the Spirit we docked at the Dockyards and took a ferry to St. George, it was nearly deserted without the cruise ship in port there. Many stores were closed, very sad. Lots of good memories of the Majesty!

There are some of us who believe bigger is not always better. I will miss Majesty as she leaves the NCL fleet but wish her the best in her new life. Sadly, it also marks the end of cruises out of Philadelphia, an embarkation port that has so much to offer with its rich history, restaurants, shopping and more.

I wouldn't get depressed so quickly, Steve. I was also on the last cruise of the Majesty this past week, and the scuttlebutt going around Le Bistro on Friday morning was that the executives from Louis Cruises who were on board took notice of the abandoned markets on both ends of this itinerary. In other words, you may find yourself in 2011 being able to sail on the Majesty from Philly to St. George...albeit the Louis Majesty and not the Norwegian Majesty!

Philadelphia has obviously dumped a lot of money into the cruise ship terminal area since I last sailed out of there in 2004. There is still major construction going on, with new roads/sidewalks being constructed. When we were leaving yesterday, there were hundreds of balled trees waiting to be planted along the main exit road. I certainly hope that this was done to attract commercial business to the former navy yard and not for CruisePhilly, because there are a few serious problems preventing cruise lines from bringing their current generation of ships into Philadelphia that go well beyond the lack of trees along the exit road. The biggest problem is river depth, and you can read online about how the Navy needs to dredge every time it brings a ship in or out of it's reserve fleet piers. We were 1/2 hour late in docking yesterday because the Majesty got stuck in the mud and needed two tugs to break it free! I don't see the Spirit (smallest ship in NCL's fleet as of today?) getting in there even at high tide. Another problem is clearances down-river. While I don't have the exact measurements, I ate dinner during sailaway at the Pasta Cafe (deck 10 forward) and noticed that there were two different bridges and an electrical transmission line across the river that may be a concern for a taller ship. The aircraft carrier currently moored in the Navy Yard (USS John F. Kennedy, CV-67) appears to have had the top of it's masts removed and placed on the flight deck. I don't know if that was done in the yard or prior to it coming up the river. In any case, here's two potential deal-killers that I can easily spot as an outsider.....

In other words, you may find yourself in 2011 being able to sail on the Majesty from Philly to St. George...albeit the Louis Majesty and not the Norwegian Majesty!

Thanks for passing along this encouraging note. Sorry to hear about the mud mishap but maybe it was Majesty's subtle way of saying she didn't want to leave? ;)

Just this past week, the first step was taken to dredge the Delaware River to increase the depth from 40-to-45 feet but there could be a legal challenge from the State of Delaware which has environmental concerns.

Louis Majesty out of Philly in 2011 would be great for the economies in St. George and Philadelphia. Now, I wonder if Louis honors Latitudes points....

Archived