Terminal 18 - Oasis

Looks great but I can only hope that FLL has it down better than my three previous cruises out of this port. They have been some of the worst to date. Most of it due to old outdated facilities so I am hopes that this helps. Guess we will find out in about a month when the reviews start coming in.

Yes it's a skylight, see the exterior view of the building, it shows it.

One question I have is, in the disembark diagrams it never shows you where customs is?? Will this be right when you come down the escalators before going into baggage claim?

It seems as if they have the logistics of getting everyone in and out in a timely fashion pretty much under control. It'll be interesting to see what happens in "real time".

Five weeks and 5 days until I head for the airport!

Yes it's a skylight, see the exterior view of the building, it shows it.

One question I have is, in the disembark diagrams it never shows you where customs is?? Will this be right when you come down the escalators before going into baggage claim?

Customs is after you claim your baggage, just before you exit the building.

Judy

That's great in Ft Lauderdale, but how are 6000+ people going to get off and back on in the ports they visit?

Im thinking it's going to be a nightmare of standing in line for everything. :eek:

I don't see an issue at all. They handle well over 4000 passengers right now on the Freedom class. I'm sure thought was put into process here also.

An intermodal transportation center will have separate entrances and traffic routes for buses, trucks, taxis and cars so that vehicles can move smoothly and swiftly to pick up and drop off guests and provisions. In addition, there will be more than 1,000 parking spaces within walking distance of the terminal.

Are there only two entrances from the Boarding Wait area onto the gangway?

Yes, I believe so but once you enter one of those two entrances, you are directed to one of two gangways to enter the ship. Both gangways will enter OASIS on Deck 5, one between Prince & Greene and Sorrentos, and the other a bit more aft between Willow and the Champagne Bar.

I think the aft gangway might be a little more dramatic of an entry, as you will be looking at the Rising Tide Bar right as you enter the ship. On the forward gangway you will look at the Guest Services Kiosk as you enter. Both of course will put you right into the Royal Promenade.

Ernie

That's great in Ft Lauderdale, but how are 6000+ people going to get off and back on in the ports they visit?

Im thinking it's going to be a nightmare of standing in line for everything. :eek:

Trust me Royal Caribbean has thought this process through. They can have the best ship in the world, but if getting on and off in every port becomes a nightmare then it doesn't matter how great the ship is, people will be turned off.

A couple things they have done is ensure OASIS docks at every port. There will be no tendering. This includes the private beach destination of Labadee. In addition there will be multiple gangways in each port, and the security screening will be accomplished on the pier itself, and not in the confined lower decks of the ship. This will help alleviate bottlenecks and hopefully minimize the lines.

Of course we won't know for sure how all these things work until the first Caribbean cruise of OASIS returns. I don't think there has ever been so much planning in regards to crowd control as there has been with OASIS. The ship may end up having fewer lines then ships 1/2 her size if all the planning pays off.

Ernie

I don't see an issue at all. They handle well over 4000 passengers right now on the Freedom class. I'm sure thought was put into process here also.

I will anxiously await the first few reviews on Cruise Critic. :D

Archived