Aagghhh....Overwhelmed!!!!

jtdlmc

It's a good thing we are not planning to cruise until February 2011 - there is just so much to choose and consider I don't know where to start!!!! How do you choose your cruise? Any tips for a first timer??? I've read all the first time cruising articles on this site and check out these forums quite often, but any tips you have will be greatly appreciated!

We do have a few "must haves" such as freestyle/free choice dining, smoking on balcony (DH), leaving from Florida and a waterpark or at least waterslides on board for DS who will be 9. DD will be 19. Other than that, I'm planning on just deciding based on the ship itself, ports and price. But that will take research, research and more research! I think I'd really like the NCL EPIC but from other posts it seems a lot of people are already booking and if I wait until after the reviews start coming in, it may be too late to book - we will be limited in the time we can go (DD in college and we will have to go during reading week in Feb) and we will definitely need a balcony (DH smoker).

First, I pick the cruiseline, then I pick the length of cruise, then, after searching the itinerary schedule, I book according to the dates we want.

A Ta is a good place to start, as they can hand you brochures on each line that you can sit and compare...beats trying to do it online.

I kinda do it in a different order (see the post mentioning not to take everyone's opinion into play ;)).

I select # of days, cruiseline (whether or not they provide open dining options) and destination. Research the particular ship and go from there. I do a lot of research online using advanced searches. Then if you want, check with a TA if you feel a bit confused.

I then start deleting cruises based on pricing, originating port, time of year, ship amenities and then I typically have a few that will work. I am pretty flexible as to ports as I enjoy the entire experience and don't get too hung up on the destinations but still is a considertion.

Definitely go to the cruise lines' websites to check their smoking rules under their FAQ section. Keep in mind those can change as well.

I went to an online travel agent and checked cruises, picked the port I wanted to go out of, then the length of cruise and destination. Then I popped open the cruise companies webpages and started reading about the specific ships until I eliminated the ones that did not appeal [not a kid, Disney is out. A couple were seriously way too expensive for us to afford, then it came down to the cabins. One company seemed to have nothing available marked handicapped at all :eek: then it boiled down to RCI, Carnival and NCL. Looked at the peripherals - cabin amenities, shipboard activities, eating experiences.]

Once we settled on the date of cruise, and the cruise line, called the company and made the reservations.

I suppose it is sort of cheating using the online agency just to determine who shipped out of the NY city area ... but I use them to book hotels and flights normally so I figure they have gotten their money out of me in the first place ;)

In my opinion a first time cruiser should start with a travel agent. Talk with them on the phone or in person and give them time frame, budget, where you want to sail from and they will give at least one sailing you will probably like. Then you will be able to ask them any questions you have or what you will need, etc. It is overwhelming when it's your first cruise.

BREATH IN THAN OUT....RELAX :D You are going on a cruise...yippie!!!!

First, whatever you book you can change and get your deposit back if you cancel before a certain timewhich is usually 90 days out or before final payment. (crusie lines may vary so check with your crusie line for specifics).

Do not base your whole decision on reviews. You will be able to see that some will complain about EVERYTHING and some about nothing. What one person enjoys in food another will hate. While one enjoys doing traditional dining at a set time another will not. One person will like having 20 restuarants to choose from and will be LAID BACK enough that they won't care about making reservations and others wouldn't be able to relax without knowing they have a seat and a time to eat every night. Some enjoy sitting with new people for dinner every night, some want to sit alone. Reviews are a great source but only a small part of the puzzle.

My travel agency has seminars about 2-4 times a year where people from different lines come in and talk about their cruises. It is a source of information. I would definately talk to some travel agents, where you can walk in and sit down and ask questions. Do not feel like you have to purchase anything. Ask for referrals at work, church, neighbors, etc.

How much money do you have to spend? You want a balcony. Go on different websites and check prices for the same cruise on different cruise lines. Dosen't have to be the exact cruise but similar ports. We usually end up on Royal Caribbean, Princess, Celebrity or Holland America. The first 3 will be closer in price and Holland AMerica will be more money.

Holland AMerica - I doubt Holland has a great kids program if they have one at all and I doubt you will find a water slide on any of their ships. I don't think you will end up on this cruise line with a child for a first cruise.

Princess - You will find all ages but not quite as many children as on the next 3 lines. I doubt there will be a water slide on their ships but just call and ask. (1-800-PRINCESS)

Royal Caribbean - My favorite. I always find a good itiniery for a good price. Food is good. Guests will range the age group from kids to seniors. They have a great kids program from what I hear. Depending on the ship they will have wall climbing, surfing, golf, etc.

NCL - Never been on them but I know people who have and they enjoy it. They say making reservations is no big deal. I would think you could end up paying more on the ship because some of the restaurants will have a cover charge. Of course traditional dining at a set time in the same dining room will be an option.

Carnival - I have talked to people from all walks of life who have enjoyed their cruises on Carnival. They will probably cost the least. They may very well have the fun slides you are looking for. I would never go on Carnival during spring break or summer vacation. That is my opinion and I may be missing out on a great time but I will stick with my other lines. During another time I would consider trying Carnival.

I assume you are going for 1 week? What do you want to do? Do you want to go on excursions and investigate the islands? Do you want to go to beaches? Do you want to snorkle? Do you want to shop? Do you want to have any sea days? I personally love sea days and others prefer to get off the ship as as many different ports as they can.

If you jgo and talk to a couple travel agents, especially those who work a lot with cruises, they will be able to help you in 1 hour what will take you hours of investigating on your own.

One tip...go in a day early. Nothing wore than missing the ship because of bad weather, flight problems, car problems, etc. If you are by a port that would be a different story (sorry I didn;t look to see where you are from)

So again BREATH IN AND OUT AND RELAX!!!!!! I know it can be stressful but you have time to investigate. You can always book a cruise and then change your cabin later. I would try to get in the middle of the ship so you will notice less motion. People will book and cancel later. Cabins will open up. Even after you book make sure you keep checking to see if the price of your cruise goes down. Just go online and set up a reservation and you will see if the price went down. If it does call and tell the cruise line you want an adjustment. Some lines will do it up until a few days before you sail. Others may not once you are within 90 days of sailing.

You are going to have a BLAST and it will be worth all the work you put into it. This website is full of valuable information.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I went to a travel agency and picked up the cruise line books but never spoke to an agent. I think maybe I actually have it down to deciding between two cruises - NCL Epic 7-day Eastern Caribbean or Carnival Destiny 5-day Eastern. Since we are pretty set in the days we can go, there aren't a huge number to choose from between the two lines (I had pretty much already decided it will be with either of these two lines). I still have research to do on the ships so not sure how long this decision between the two will last - I'll probably end up with totally different choices tomorrow!!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I went to a travel agency and picked up the cruise line books but never spoke to an agent. I think maybe I actually have it down to deciding between two cruises - NCL Epic 7-day Eastern Caribbean or Carnival Destiny 5-day Eastern. Since we are pretty set in the days we can go, there aren't a huge number to choose from between the two lines (I had pretty much already decided it will be with either of these two lines). I still have research to do on the ships so not sure how long this decision between the two will last - I'll probably end up with totally different choices tomorrow!!!!

Now you have to let us know what you end up choosing....:D

It's a good thing we are not planning to cruise until February 2011 - there is just so much to choose and consider I don't know where to start!!!! How do you choose your cruise? Any tips for a first timer??? I've read all the first time cruising articles on this site and check out these forums quite often, but any tips you have will be greatly appreciated!

We do have a few "must haves" such as freestyle/free choice dining, smoking on balcony (DH), leaving from Florida and a waterpark or at least waterslides on board for DS who will be 9. DD will be 19. Other than that, I'm planning on just deciding based on the ship itself, ports and price. But that will take research, research and more research! I think I'd really like the NCL EPIC but from other posts it seems a lot of people are already booking and if I wait until after the reviews start coming in, it may be too late to book - we will be limited in the time we can go (DD in college and we will have to go during reading week in Feb) and we will definitely need a balcony (DH smoker).

First thing to do is cross Celebrity OFF your list there is NO smoking in any cabin or balcony.

see it is already easier, now NCL is the most informal, has complete Freestyle dining. eat anywhere with anyone any time the dining rooms are open.

it has several venues that cost extra, but you don't have to eat there to have a great time and have good food. They have a good kid's program and they tend to be less expensive than the other lines, they are certainly the most casual when it comes to what they allow in dress, to the point of being what many, myself included slovenly.

That is something that might or might not bother you. If you can go do Disney nice restaurants and not be bothered by how people eating there are dressed then this won't bother you.

As predicted my choices have changed - but not all that much - these changes are mostly due to time restraints. I have found out the date of DD Reading Week and the Carnival Destiny 5 day Eastern still fits the best but I'm a little leary of the ship due to lots of reviews that say it's pretty worn. My other choices are Carnival Freedom 6 day Western and Carnival Dream 7 day Western. The 7 day puts it pretty tight on time - she'd miss at least one day of school - guess she could survive that - maybe!

I would prefer NCL because of the Freestyle dining since I have read that even if it shows the Your Time dining on Carnival as being available and you choose that when making the booking, it doesn't necessarily guarantee you will get it! No sure I can take the chance of not getting it because traditional dining will in no way fit my family and I don't want to eat at the buffet every evening!!! But there really aren't any NCL itineraries that fit our time for that week or that have a water slide - a must for my DS. I'll take another look though - have just been concentrating on Carnival the last couple of days.

I would prefer NCL because of the Freestyle dining since I have read that even if it shows the Your Time dining on Carnival as being available and you choose that when making the booking, it doesn't necessarily guarantee you will get it!

I would check direct with Carnival on that as well. That does not sound right to me. If it is available and you choose it and it is confirmed then it should not change. Maybe Carnival is different or maybe it was available and someone waited to book and then it wasn't. Check it out.

Eastern still fits the best but I'm a little leary of the ship due to lots of reviews that say it's pretty worn. My other choices are Carnival Freedom 6 day Western and Carnival Dream 7 day Western. The 7 day puts it pretty tight on time - she'd miss at least one day of school - guess she could survive that - m.

are you reading reviews that are under a year old--or older?

break your costs down to per day and see how it works out- Might be cheaper in the long run to book the longer cruise.

The Epic looks awesome but sad to say those ships are just too big for me- I was worn out on the Voyager of the Seas. For some-- bigger is not better.

Plus the price will be a tad pricey since its a new ship,.

Woohoo!!!! I just booked our cruise. Of course, I changed my mind from the earlier posts! We're booked on Carnival Legend 7-day Western Caribbean on February 20, 2011. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Now what to do to contain my excitement for the next 15 months????

Archived