Help with room choice? thank you...first time cruiser 14-day nj to south caribb

tantrumxp

While deck 10 is my preferred deck, all of those cabins are very far forward or aft....if nothing is avail on deck 9, midships, and you want deck 10, stick with 1660 or 1360....the actual cabins are all identical---it's just the location that's different!

I'd rather have a D catagory is a less desired location, than an E! The D is larger!

While deck 10 is my preferred deck, all of those cabins are very far forward or aft....if nothing is avail on deck 9, midships, and you want deck 10, stick with 1660 or 1360....the actual cabins are all identical---it's just the location that's different!

I'd rather have a D catagory is a less desired location, than an E! The D is larger!

You're kidding!

an extra foot or so longer is about all you get in a D rather than an E. You'll get a sofa instead of a love seat. Neither of which I've ever used.

Have you even ever had an E?

CB's advice is very questionable. Please listen to SeaUS. Hump cabins are fantastic. If there is only 2 of you, then there is absolutely no reason to pay more or sacrifice location for a D cabin instead of an E.

Also, if this is your first cruise (especially a 14 day cruise), I would recommend a lower deck because there is less motion. As well, on the Explorer, much of the activity is on decks 4 & 5, so its good to be lower down, in my opinion.

When I just checked 6618 was gone, but 6614 was still there - I would take that over all the cabins you listed in a heartbeat.

CB's advice is very questionable. Please listen to SeaUS. Hump cabins are fantastic. If there is only 2 of you, then there is absolutely no reason to pay more or sacrifice location for a D cabin instead of an E.

Also, if this is your first cruise (especially a 14 day cruise), I would recommend a lower deck because there is less motion. As well, on the Explorer, much of the activity is on decks 4 & 5, so its good to be lower down, in my opinion.

When I just checked 6618 was gone, but 6614 was still there - I would take that over all the cabins you listed in a heartbeat.

thanks =)

The OP is sailing The Explorer holiday sailing, based on the 12/20 sail date. There are loads of hump cabins available, close to the main elevators and activities.

This is a big ship, as long as the Empire State Building is tall. So think long and hard about booking a cabin far from an elevator bank. Also the closer to the center of the ship, the less motion you will feel. The Atlantic can be rough in the winter and even a big ship will bump and grind in bad weather.

The hump cabins bow out from the ship and are desirable because (1) they are close to the main elevators and all the action (2) there is a buffer wall so you don't hear the elevator machinery and (3) since they stick out you can look up and down the ship in both directions.

so i should do a D or an E? and whats a hump room?

Category E cabin is very slightly smaller than a category D cabin. Honestly, you will not notice the difference between the two and if there are only 2 of you, then I think of them as the same. So, then you should choose between the two based on 1) location and 2) price. In your case, for the sailing you are looking at it is cheaper and better location to take an E cabin - so, I would highly recommend an E cabin.

You'll see many people on these boards refer to "hump" cabins. If you look at the deck plans, there is a section of the ship that bows out just a little. For example, on deck 6, starboard (right) side - cabins 6310 through 6328 are the hump cabins. Many people, including myself, think these are among the best cabins on the ship. The ones in the center give you great views as they stick out from the ship some. You can see there are hump cabins on all decks (6-10) of the ship. Any of these cabins are great. They are centrally located, right by the elevators, which is very convenient as the ship is very large. However, there is no elevator noise because they are separated from the elevators by a wall, so you don't need to worry about that.

I just checked and 6318 and 6618 are still available - if it were me, those are two of my favorite cabins on the ship, so I would pick one of those.

The hump cabins bow out from the ship and are desirable because (1) they are close to the main elevators and all the action (2) there is a buffer wall so you don't hear the elevator machinery and (3) since they stick out you can look up and down the ship in both directions.

so i should do a D or an E? and whats a hump room?

I would go for the location first. Cat. D and E are the same width, D is 17 sq ft bigger, so a D is 16 inches or so longer then an E. Quoting my own post on humps. Once you start humping you can't go back:D:):D

thank you all for your help...wow...i dont know what i would have done without this forum. i guess i have a couple more annoying questions, shampoo, conditioner and stuff, do they supply? towels? laundry machines or laundry service?

i guess cause its a HUGE ship, what is the order we get off the ship at these ports?

Category E cabin is very slightly smaller than a category D cabin. Honestly, you will not notice the difference between the two and if there are only 2 of you, then I think of them as the same. So, then you should choose between the two based on 1) location and 2) price. In your case, for the sailing you are looking at it is cheaper and better location to take an E cabin - so, I would highly recommend an E cabin.

You'll see many people on these boards refer to "hump" cabins. If you look at the deck plans, there is a section of the ship that bows out just a little. For example, on deck 6, starboard (right) side - cabins 6310 through 6328 are the hump cabins. Many people, including myself, think these are among the best cabins on the ship. The ones in the center give you great views as they stick out from the ship some. You can see there are hump cabins on all decks (6-10) of the ship. Any of these cabins are great. They are centrally located, right by the elevators, which is very convenient as the ship is very large. However, there is no elevator noise because they are separated from the elevators by a wall, so you don't need to worry about that.

I just checked and 6318 and 6618 are still available - if it were me, those are two of my favorite cabins on the ship, so I would pick one of those.

which website did you use to get 6618? i only see 6614 6612 on cruise.com and extracash.citi.com

thank you all for your help...wow...i dont know what i would have done without this forum. i guess i have a couple more annoying questions, shampoo, conditioner and stuff, do they supply? towels? laundry machines or laundry service?

i guess cause its a HUGE ship, what is the order we get off the ship at these ports?

No self service laundries on any RCI ship. On a long trip such as this they will run $20 specials twice, all you can stuff in a laundry bag for $20 and the ship does the work. Otherwise, an ala carte laundry and dry cleaning service.

Are you flying in with luggage restrictions? Or driving in?

The ship supplies some kind of goop in the shower area, so bring your own care products if you are particular. Plenty of towels and your cabin attendant will supply extras if needed.

I think the ship docks at all stops so you just get off the gangway. People keep their own time schedules, getting up early or late so the hordes aren't great. Correction to myself, at the private island, the ship tenders, so there might be a backup.

The difference between D and E on Explorer is 15 sq ft. which is not really that much. Think of it as slightly less than a 4' by 4' space. [or 3.8729833' by 3.8729833' if you want to be technical]. On this ship, I agree the difference is not great enough to (a) spend much additional $$$ or (b) pick a less desirable location. The cabins you listed are all way forward or way aft [but not actually "aft" cabins -- that is those facing aft]. With the possible exception of 1530, I would look on other decks for a better location. I list 1530 as a possible exception because on some ships [e.g. Freedom Class], the furthest forward balcony cabin has a clear glass shield to the front offering a tremendous view and is slightly larger than the standard balcony. I say possible because I have not seen this cabin on Explorer.

Archived