Single supplement paid...want to add a 2nd person to the cabin.

DonnaK

My mother booked a minisuite and paid a 200% single supplement. Since then, the fare has increased tremendously from what what she paid. Now, she has found someone else to join her on the cruise. We feel that since mom already paid for two people, she *should* be able to add the other person to her cabin and only pay the taxes and fees. However, Princess wants to recharge them both at the going rate. (The cruise is paid in full even though it is 9 months away, and there is plenty of room on the ship, so capacity is not an issue. We booked directly though Princess, not through a TA).

Has anyone had experience with adding a person to a room in which the single supplement has been paid, and how did Princess handle the fare?

about 10 years ago I booked a single on the Island. My mother then decided 2 mo. later she would like to go so I called princess and I paid about half fare for her. I think at the time Id paid 150% fare . I always book direct with cruise co as i can talk to them . I would call back ond talk to them again and if necessary go higher up, Normally they want more passengers more revenu from more people , carl

My mother booked a minisuite and paid a 200% single supplement. Since then, the fare has increased tremendously from what what she paid. Now, she has found someone else to join her on the cruise. We feel that since mom already paid for two people, she *should* be able to add the other person to her cabin and only pay the taxes and fees. However, Princess wants to recharge them both at the going rate. (The cruise is paid in full even though it is 9 months away, and there is plenty of room on the ship, so capacity is not an issue. We booked directly though Princess, not through a TA).

Has anyone had experience with adding a person to a room in which the single supplement has been paid, and how did Princess handle the fare?

Unfortunately, the Princess policy is that when going from a single to a double, both passengers are refared to reflect the current price.
This is correct. When you add a 2nd person, the booking changes and the current pricing is applied. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but that's the bottom line.

Interestingly, I originally booked and AK cruise a 2-for-1 special as a solo earlier this year. When my DD decided to join me and share my cabin, she only had to pay her half of what the 2-for-1 fare was. I guess we got very lucky.

Interestingly, I originally booked and AK cruise a 2-for-1 special as a solo earlier this year. When my DD decided to join me and share my cabin, she only had to pay her half of what the 2-for-1 fare was. I guess we got very lucky.
There could have been due to several factors. Most important is that Alaska had some great pricing this summer and prices tended to go down, not up, as they had empty cabins. I wouldn't expect that to happen again as every cruiseline has redeployed at least one ship for the upcoming Alaska season.

That far in advance with plenty of rooms......I would speak to a manager at Princess and if that person wouldn't come up with something more reasonable I would be prepared (with another cruise and cruise line chosen) to cancel with that manager obtain a FULL refund and rebook with the other cruise line. They are making more money on the cruise being paid in full this early anyway. If they can do it for some they can do it for others. This is not next week and its full, and that shouldn't matter anyway, gouging is not OK. These rules are not that strict! They break them when it suits them. Even if they offered the new person just pays the difference between the old fare and the new fare plus the taxes.

Wait till the fare goes down again, but not too long and don't go past the final payment date.........;).

Anthony

I booked as a single for a cruise next month. I asked if I wanted to add a second person how would that work. I was told it would just be the second person's port charge that would be owed. I specifically asked if the whole reservation would have to be repriced and was told no. Although, I have found the customer service reps at Princess to be less than knowledgable about several subjects I've asked about. So I hope I was told the correct information.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me. I guess my best bet is to keep calling back, and speaking to supervisors, until I get the answer I want. Because if they've done it for some people (as noted above), then they should do it for everyone.

Interesting, I guess I'm lucky. I booked my cruise in a week back in December of 2008 as a single and then my friend Teri decided to come. We booked her in April and received the exact same fare as when I originally booked and didn't have to rebook. They just added her to the booking and added tax and port fees for another person. My reservation was done through Princess.

I presume you would be refunded the single supplement surcharge?

I guess what I'm thinking is that the single supplement surcharge should take care of the second person added to the room, since it was 200%.

I've haven't had a chance to call Princess again, but will do so shortly.

Archived