Ladies -- Thoughts on Not Going!

lacruiser

This is the first time I've ever posted on this board, so hosts, please forgive me if this isn't the right place for this thread! In fact, I almost didn't post this, but finally decided that since cruisecritic has never let me down before I could depend on it for help with this issue.

And, the issue is Not Going while on the cruise! :eek: This will really make you feel miserable and who wants to feel miserable while on a cruise?? So, please share your strategies for keeping things moving along while you travel. ;) Prunes? Soluble fiber? This is never a problem while at home, only when traveling, and it appears to be getting worse as time ticks by...sigh.

Thanks for your tips!

Is it a physical thing, or "mental"....being out of your routine, comfort zone, etc...?

Try a mild laxative....nothing too strong, eat lots of fiber and drink lots of water....

I understand where you're coming from....whenever we travel (hotels and such!) I have the same problem...for me, it's being off my routine. It usually resolves itself in the first 3 days.

Good luck to you!

I start before we leave. I already drink a lot of water, so that doesn't change, but I do continue all the while we are gone. I increase my fruit and vegetable intake and will take something like Benefiber every day. I don't care to take laxatives, so an increase in fiber works better for me.

I think what helps most is to stick closely with your typical eating habits just like at home. It can be tough with so many choices available, but I have found the problem to be worse if I start in eating completely different when away from home. After a couple evenings of rich foods, my system starts to clog up, so I eliminate the sauces and try to stay away from eating too much meat. I don't eat a lot of meat at home because my husband only eats fish and chicken, so I do take the opportunity to have it once or twice on a cruise. If you don't eat meat often, it's surprising at what it does to your intestinal tract.

Make sure you are getting enough exercise as well, a brisk walk every morning and evening helps a great deal.

If you are not a person who suffers from constipation on a regular basis, I think that by drinking 2-3 glasses of prune juice every morning with breakfast will keep you going. At least that is what I did when I went on my first cruise.

Sadly, I now have to take Amitiza so that I can be regular. I know, too much information...lol

If you are not a person who suffers from constipation on a regular basis, I think that by drinking 2-3 glasses of prune juice every morning with breakfast will keep you going. At least that is what I did when I went on my first cruise.

Sadly, I now have to take Amitiza so that I can be regular. I know, too much information...lol

I always have the bran muffin at breakfast instead of the pastries. My usual breakfast is a bran muffin, veggie omelet and grapefruit juice. I do think part of the problem is many increase their intake of the junkie stuff-as I have to eat nutritious because of my health condition-(and the cruise ships have plenty of healthy choices) I have never had a problem. If anything, I go more. Must be the salt water has laxative effects-LOL!

Bananas are a binder - they are recommended when you have diarrhea for most people. I wouldn't eat them if I have the opposite problem. Which I often do when I travel - for me it's the change of routine and just travel/change of time (even when my diet doesn't change - if my routine does, it happens) I always drink lots of water and eat complex carbs,fruits & veggies, and adding prunes (and very strong turkish coffee on one trip) doesn't help. Fortunately, after about 3 days it resolves.

Oatmeal for breakfast and lots and lots of water...seems to work for me at least...and I hear ya about getting worse as time marches on ;)..haven't had to resort to over the counter remedies yet...water seems to be the true key for me..especially on a cruise..I probably drink twice as much as I do at home..but it works and that's the main thing...good luck..hope one of our replies helps you out...

Lots of good advice above - lots of water, fruits, veggies and whole grains -- minimize increase in sugar and fats (not so easy on a cruise!)

And move -- I get this problem when I fly or am on road trips -- sitting in the same position for long periods of time really messes up my digestion.

I always seem to do just fine with fruits and veggies on the buffet, but dinner in the dining room was my issue. So now I always order a plate of steamed veggies in the dining room with dinner. They bring enough to share, and I don't want DS having the same issue either. DS also eats a cup of yogurt every morning with breakfast. We all drink a lot of water, even when cruising, so that helps.

Isn't it funny how different people rely on different methods?? My husband - one bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats takes care of things. Me, I need to gnaw the bark off a tree.....

But seriously, travel does upset my system. On my last cruise, I resorted to eating prunes and figs with breakfast, then using packets of ground flaxseeds I brought with me (available in supermarket in natural food section) that I sprinkled on the prunes and figs. Also, taking acidophilus supplements seem to help me.

Well -- this did seem to strike a nerve or two! :D:D

Thanks to all of you for some very interesting responses. Odd that the bran muffins and oatmeal for breakfast were mentioned -- those are 2 of my favorites and I eat one or the other almost every morning. I suspect that it's travel + change of routine that does it, given that I seem to have most of the other bases covered. I am going to make a real effort to walk every morning though. I work out every day at home, and cruising is usually a vacation from this routine, so will try to get a brisk walk in every morning. And I think I may give the soluble fiber drinks a shot as well. Someone mentioned Benefiber -- any other recommendations?

Because of meds I take this is a constant problem for me too and getting out of my normal routine when traveling usually only makes it worse. I usually have a room service breakfast and on my last cruise I had a bran muffin with my breakfast every morning - they were really yummy on the Amsterdam. I also ordered prunes in the morning and kept them in my refrigerator and ate them as my bedtime snack. It worked for me - good luck and enjoy!

How about a couple laps around the Promanade deck in the morning to get things loosened up. A little exercise and fresh salt air should do the trick!

Good luck!

PS. A most interesting post I must say:)

Pescatarian diet all the way!!!! No red meat, only fish and like others have said, oatmeal, fruits, veggies and the rolls at dinner, choose the ones that are "grainy". For lunches, soups and salads or a sandwich with whole grain bread. I only eat this way on vacation and since eating this way I have had NO problems. Good luck and enjoy ALL of your cruises!!

This is the first time I've ever posted on this board, so hosts, please forgive me if this isn't the right place for this thread! In fact, I almost didn't post this, but finally decided that since cruisecritic has never let me down before I could depend on it for help with this issue.

And, the issue is Not Going while on the cruise! :eek: This will really make you feel miserable and who wants to feel miserable while on a cruise?? So, please share your strategies for keeping things moving along while you travel. ;) Prunes? Soluble fiber? This is never a problem while at home, only when traveling, and it appears to be getting worse as time ticks by...sigh.

Thanks for your tips!

My sister has that same problem. we cruised together last year, and it was day 4 before she was successful. And even then, it was in her own cabin. She is very careful about what she ate. A lot of chicken and salad. Not much bread. You are not alone.

All the advice about eating whole grains, fruit and veggies, drinking plenty of water and exercising is good. For me, an apple a day really makes a difference, even though it's not my favorite fruit; I especially don't like Delicious apples, which is usually what is found on ships, but I still try to eat one a day, since I tend to have this problem while traveling too.

Bananas are about the only fruit that will do the opposite to what you want, so I stay away from them--they're usually too ripe for me anyway

Archived