Boarding time in San JUan

Max2003

Our formal nights on our Oct. 26 11-day sailing on the Millennium were the second night and the tenth night, which were port days. Our RollCall group met at 5pm in the Michael's Club on the third night. Your nights may differ, of course.

KW, sorry but I do not have anything that tells me the name of the Captains Club hostess. Our invitation to the CC Connections party was issued by Claudia Silva, Event Coordinator.

Mike, alas, no string music or piano, just recorded, during dinner in the Metropolitan DR, which I really missed from our 2003 Infinity cruise. Someone apparently on board has a warped sense of humor, apparently, since they played the theme from "Titanic" more than once :rolleyes:

As for pool music, I heard live music only in passing through the area. Since we were in so many ports/beaches, we felt no desire to be poolside this time, a departure from previous cruises (and only two at-sea days this time). I was not impressed by what I heard. Onyx, the combo I looooved on the Infinity, must have spoiled me for any other ;)

Highlander, we were not awed by the DR food, although the breads and desserts were quite good. Very fancy names presented on menu for beautifully plated entrees, but none of us at our table raved over our selections.

Two humorous notes: one evening, not feeling greatly inspired by the choices and really not very hungry, I requested one of the "always available" loaded baked potatoes. What I received was a child-size baked potato with some butter. I figured the toppings would be served, like a salad dressing. Hah. I asked then for bacon and broccoli and cheese. I fairly quickly was served a halfbowl full of bacon pieces and a platefull of broccoli, which I shared with my tablemates!

Likewise, another time when I opted for another vegetable from the "a-a" list, I received a plate full of peas! As for lobster night, my DH was not impressed by his small portion, accompanied by shrimp and scallops. To his credit, however, our waiter had extra waiting for DH.

Some at our table raved over the escargots, eating those nightly, and the creme brulee, which was terrific. And I would kill for the palate-cleansing sorbet served on formal nights, though I cannot remember the flavor right now.

Enjoy anticipating your upcoming trip. That's part of the whole deal, huh?

Barbara

I've been reading about how bad the food is on the Millennium and wondered how everyone that has recently sailed her thinks of the comments. Also can someone tell me when the formal nights are on the 10 day southern caribbean trip leaving November 27th.

I see that you are on the Nov. 27 sailing. We have a roll call going, would love for you to join on in. This is the link...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=21999617&posted=1#post21999617

I am new to this board and not sure if it is approporate to ask in this thread, but:

We are on the Summit out of PR on January 23rd, anyone else on that sailing? We will be spending two nights in Old San Juan, (we live in CA - over nine hour trip) I am looking forward to renewing my aquiantence with OSJ. I think we will try miiddle of afternoon for boarding - may split the difference between 1 and 5:30.

Susan

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1037464

Her is your link to the board thread for the ship trip people.

I like to go early - dump bags and go from there.....

I just wanted to add that we were on the October 26th sailing and had an AMAZING cruise. We boarded the ship at 2:00 that afternoon. There were no lines and we were able to breeze through check-in and walk right on. Our cabin was ready and the champagne was already waiting for us.

Hope you have an excellent trip!

Hi, J & G,

We were a bit let down by the very large numbers of guests who wore what seemed to me to be "church" clothes for formal nights. Yes, there were some elegant dresses, and many tuxes, but mostly the men wore nice suits and many, many women were in dressy pants suits. Not what I would describe as "formal." My husband valiantly wore his tux and I my gowns but felt disappointed in the overall look of the evenings. I chalk it up to the more casual nature of our society, both US and foreign; likewise, I think more and more, people just choose not to pack so many suitcases as in yesteryear, due to charges for checking bags for flights.

Which nights were formal nights on your 11 night cruise?

The cruise documents state "For your comfort and convenience we recommend you arrive at the pier no earlier than 5:30 PM".

Can any one verify the earliest time that bags can be checked and/or boarding is allowed. This is my first Celebrity cruise (181 days on HAL) so I am unfamiliar with the routine.

It seems that the usual time for checkout from a hotel of 12 noon would leave one hanging around the dock waiting and unable to use the time for sightseeing. Neither convenient nor comfortable.

Thanks

Phil

Go to the pier when you check out of your hotel. We were there by noon, in our room (although we werent supposed to go in our room yet) within the hour. Dont wait till 5:30 or you may miss your first dinner!

Have fun!

Hey guys, we just got back. We went over a day early, checked out at noon and went straight to the pier. People were already boarding. It didn't take us long. They had chairs they had everyone go in and sit down. They took row by row went and checked in. We went straight to our cabin and unpacked, then of course to eat. It didn't take long at all. On our board we did have some that didn't want to take their carry ons so they left them. Some LOST things between the pier and their cabin, so go the extra mile for the few minutes and take them with you. We always do, I wouldn't leave ours. You should be on quickly!! Have some pretty good tips on tours, have to go now but I will get back on and tell you.

HAPPY CRUISING:)

I have sailed from San Juan and the ship did not leave till late on

all my itineraries....I still boarded the ship in the 1:00ish hour:D

Last time it was in January on Galaxy. She did not leave till 8:30pm

and we were on board in the early afternoon.:)

Everyone has their own views on when to board. Some folks go

later. Personally, I want to be on the ship but that is just me:)

They have always printed those times but once the people on the

prior sailing have disembarked, the new passengers are usually allowed

on without any problems.

Hi Rich, have a great cruise:)

So, can anyone tell me if you board the ship around 1:00 can you get off the ship and sightsee around San Juan and then reboard or is it too dificult?

Thanks

Archived