Boarding time in San JUan

Max2003

The cruise documents state "For your comfort and convenience we recommend you arrive at the pier no earlier than 5:30 PM".

Can any one verify the earliest time that bags can be checked and/or boarding is allowed. This is my first Celebrity cruise (181 days on HAL) so I am unfamiliar with the routine.

It seems that the usual time for checkout from a hotel of 12 noon would leave one hanging around the dock waiting and unable to use the time for sightseeing. Neither convenient nor comfortable.

Thanks

Phil

The cruise documents state "For your comfort and convenience we recommend you arrive at the pier no earlier than 5:30 PM".

Can any one verify the earliest time that bags can be checked and/or boarding is allowed. This is my first Celebrity cruise (181 days on HAL) so I am unfamiliar with the routine.

It seems that the usual time for checkout from a hotel of 12 noon would leave one hanging around the dock waiting and unable to use the time for sightseeing. Neither convenient nor comfortable.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil

We are also first time cruisers leaving from San Juan and have read through many posts to find this out.

It seems it is OK to arrive at the port after checking out from hotel around 12 noon but be prepared to wait awhile.

Many people recommend getting there then as they usually allow you to board around 1pm then you can lunch on board and spend the afternoon getting to know the ship whilst there are few passengers aboard.

We shall be taking this advice along with the idea to put swim things in carry on so that maybe you can take a swim.

Hope this helps Have a lovely cruise Carolyn

Max2003 (Phil) - The ship leaves for our cruise at 8:30PM to allow for everyone flying into PR. We usually (in the states) arrive at Port Everglades around 11:00AM for a 5:00 departure. We only live about 30 minutes from the port.

In this case, IMHO 1:00PM is a good time (as CJCMACK - Carolyn said) to get there to enjoy lunch and get to know the ship. Remember -- this is the first day of the cruise, make the most of it. We usually pack a small bag with a bathing suits/tee shirts and some incidentals and we have lunch and then change and go out to the pool. Usually we like to watch all of the people flying in drag on to the ship.:) This time we will be two of the "draggers" flying in...:eek:

Have a great cruise...

Neil

Max2003 (Phil) - The ship leaves for our cruise at 8:30PM to allow for everyone flying into PR. We usually (in the states) arrive at Port Everglades around 11:00AM for a 5:00 departure. We only live about 30 minutes from the port.

In this case, IMHO 1:00PM is a good time (as CJCMACK - Carolyn said) to get there to enjoy lunch and get to know the ship. Remember -- this is the first day of the cruise, make the most of it. We usually pack a small bag with bathing suits/tee shirts and some incidentals and we have lunch and then change and go out to the pool. Usually we like to watch all of the people flying in drag on to the ship.:) This time we will be two of the "draggers" flying in...:eek:

Have a great cruise...

Neil

In this case, IMHO 1:00PM is a good time (as CJCMACK - Carolyn said) to get there to enjoy lunch and get to know the ship. Remember -- this is the first day of the cruise, make the most of it. We usually pack a small bag with bathing suits/tee shirts and some incidentals and we have lunch and then change and go out to the pool. Usually we like to watch all of the people flying in drag on to the ship.:) This time we will be two of the "draggers" flying in...:eek:

Have a great cruise...

Neil

Neil,

We are actually flying in the day before for once. I've also read many posts where people talk about having to wait in line for a couple of hours if you get there early.

Is there a happy medium? We sailed on Summit last year and it didn't sail until 10:30. We flew in that day, got to the boat around 5-ish and there were no lines - it was wonderful!!

Neil,

We are actually flying in the day before for once. I've also read many posts where people talk about having to wait in line for a couple of hours if you get there early.

Is there a happy medium? We sailed on Summit last year and it didn't sail until 10:30. We flew in that day, got to the boat around 5-ish and there were no lines - it was wonderful!!

Flying a day ahead is the best -- we love to do that. You don't want to get there too early, but the prior cruise before you will exit by 10:00AM so you are safe if you get there after 1:00 PM. I love to spend the day on the ship before everyone shows up. This time we have the air included from the cruise line so we have yet to see the flying times and when we will arrive. There is no happy medium...

Neil :)

We've sailed from San Juan in the past with an 11:30 sailing time & have boarded the ship anywhere from noon on.

We're on Millennium tomorrow & our docs also say 5:30 but plan on boarding around 3 (airlines willing!)

If you have time, see some of San Juan by arriving a day or two beforehand. It's great! We usually do, but for this sailing we booked Celebrity air & just decided to take what they gave us, arriving the day of sailing.

I have sailed from San Juan and the ship did not leave till late on

all my itineraries....I still boarded the ship in the 1:00ish hour:D

Last time it was in January on Galaxy. She did not leave till 8:30pm

and we were on board in the early afternoon.:)

Everyone has their own views on when to board. Some folks go

later. Personally, I want to be on the ship but that is just me:)

They have always printed those times but once the people on the

prior sailing have disembarked, the new passengers are usually allowed

on without any problems.

Hi Rich, have a great cruise:)

We are flying into SJ 3 days early and hope to enjoy the city a bit. We plan on getting onboard as early as possible ( figure get to the ship around 1:00) to explore and have lunch.

LoisR -- Hello, don't drink up all of my Mud Slides or Milkshake Martini's before I get there..:eek:

Toothfairy754 - I'm with you 1:00PM sounds good to me. You are on the cruise just before ours. We are on the 3/26/10 Mille. Love the ship. This is our 4th cruise on her. Our roll call is very quiet and not many people on board yet. Hope we see some new people show up. Great deals for it - air inclusive and SBC; we loved the itinierary and hoped they would have a special and here we are all booked and ready to go...

Have a great trip...:)

Neil

I am new to this board and not sure if it is approporate to ask in this thread, but:

We are on the Summit out of PR on January 23rd, anyone else on that sailing? We will be spending two nights in Old San Juan, (we live in CA - over nine hour trip) I am looking forward to renewing my aquiantence with OSJ. I think we will try miiddle of afternoon for boarding - may split the difference between 1 and 5:30.

Susan

Hello, all you who will be enjoying the Millie soon! We just left her Friday morning, Nov. 6, and I promise you, you will have a great cruise. Ours was the 11-night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan.

We also had precruise/boarding questions, so maybe I can alleviate some of your anxiety: We stayed the night before at the Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde, which was lovely, right on the great beach. Checkout was at noon, we took a taxi to the port, and only waited a few minutes to hand over our luggage, then were seated to await embarkation. That began in just a few minutes, just long enough to enjoy punch and cookies, provided, in addition to the mimosa or champagne greeting as we walked aboard. :) We were in our stateroom and enjoying our new home away from home by 1pm. Our 8:30 sailing time was a few minutes late.

One question we had was about the conflict of dinner and required muster. There was no problem; although muster was at 6pm (the usual early seating for dinner), we did not have to take our vests, then return them to our room. Dinner was after that, for us at 6:30, and our Welcome Aboard show was at 10:45 pm. Cruise Director Rob Wheatley was delightful, as were all the crew we talked with during the cruise.

Hope this helps. If you have additional questions, fire away. I never tire of reliving a cruise ;)

Captain Zisis Taramas and Xenofon Livanios were the ones described on the daily handout, "Celebrity Today." Rob Wheatley was CD. We were quite impressed by the Celebrity Singers and Dancers, but one of the lead singers announced on our last night that they were also debarking to return to England.

We also greatly enjoyed the a cappella quartet Wheel House and the Di Rissio Quartet in the Rendezvous Lounge nightly. Pool band was Magnitude. Of course, that does not mean the same personnel will be on your sailing. At any rate, enjoy and Bon Voyage!

Hello, all you who will be enjoying the Millie soon! We just left her Friday morning, Nov. 6, and I promise you, you will have a great cruise. Ours was the 11-night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan.

We also had precruise/boarding questions, so maybe I can alleviate some of your anxiety: We stayed the night before at the Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde, which was lovely, right on the great beach. Checkout was at noon, we took a taxi to the port, and only waited a few minutes to hand over our luggage, then were seated to await embarkation. That began in just a few minutes, just long enough to enjoy punch and cookies, provided, in addition to the mimosa or champagne greeting as we walked aboard. :) We were in our stateroom and enjoying our new home away from home by 1pm. Our 8:30 sailing time was a few minutes late.

One question we had was about the conflict of dinner and required muster. There was no problem; although muster was at 6pm (the usual early seating for dinner), we did not have to take our vests, then return them to our room. Dinner was after that, for us at 6:30, and our Welcome Aboard show was at 10:45 pm. Cruise Director Rob Wheatley was delightful, as were all the crew we talked with during the cruise.

Hope this helps. If you have additional questions, fire away. I never tire of reliving a cruise ;)

This is great information, as we will be aboard Millie in February. It will be our first time on Celebrity. Can you share your observations concerning the attire on formal nights?

Captain Zisis Taramas and Xenofon Livanios were the ones described on the daily handout, "Celebrity Today." Rob Wheatley was CD. We were quite impressed by the Celebrity Singers and Dancers, but one of the lead singers announced on our last night that they were also debarking to return to England.

We also greatly enjoyed the a cappella quartet Wheel House and the Di Rissio Quartet in the Rendezvous Lounge nightly. Pool band was Magnitude. Of course, that does not mean the same personnel will be on your sailing. At any rate, enjoy and Bon Voyage!

We are sailing on Milly Nov. 16 and have read many negative remarks about the terrible food/service in the MDR. What is your opinion on that subject?

Hi, J & G,

We were a bit let down by the very large numbers of guests who wore what seemed to me to be "church" clothes for formal nights. Yes, there were some elegant dresses, and many tuxes, but mostly the men wore nice suits and many, many women were in dressy pants suits. Not what I would describe as "formal." My husband valiantly wore his tux and I my gowns but felt disappointed in the overall look of the evenings. I chalk it up to the more casual nature of our society, both US and foreign; likewise, I think more and more, people just choose not to pack so many suitcases as in yesteryear, due to charges for checking bags for flights.

You didn't ask but brace yourself: cost of one 8x10 photo is $19.95, although some specials were run, such as buy two and get one free :rolleyes:

Of course, no one is forcing you to buy.

Hi Beach Spring,

Thanks for your time to inform us of your cruise. I have two questions:

Is it true that there is no longer live music in the MDR and is it true that they don't have live music by the pool area except for one hour a day?

Thanks again,

Mike

Hi, J & G,

We were a bit let down by the very large numbers of guests who wore what seemed to me to be "church" clothes for formal nights. Yes, there were some elegant dresses, and many tuxes, but mostly the men wore nice suits and many, many women were in dressy pants suits. Not what I would describe as "formal." My husband valiantly wore his tux and I my gowns but felt disappointed in the overall look of the evenings. I chalk it up to the more casual nature of our society, both US and foreign; likewise, I think more and more, people just choose not to pack so many suitcases as in yesteryear, due to charges for checking bags for flights.

You didn't ask but brace yourself: cost of one 8x10 photo is $19.95, although some specials were run, such as buy two and get one free :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply. We, too, will be flying and will be restricted on luggage. DH will bring a dark suit and I will bring a long evening-y pants outfit.....dressier than church attire, but not a long gown. Sounds like we will fit in somewhere between the church crowd and the formal dressers.....

We may spring for a photo...just depends on how good it is. I'd pay $100 for one that would make me look 30 pounds lighter. :D:D

LoisR -- Hello, don't drink up all of my Mud Slides or Milkshake Martini's before I get there..:eek:

Toothfairy754 - I'm with you 1:00PM sounds good to me. You are on the cruise just before ours. We are on the 3/26/10 Mille. Love the ship. This is our 4th cruise on her. Our roll call is very quiet and not many people on board yet. Hope we see some new people show up. Great deals for it - air inclusive and SBC; we loved the itinierary and hoped they would have a special and here we are all booked and ready to go...

Have a great trip...:)

Neil

Hi Neil

Our roll call is starting to pick up about now. I am sure I will enjoy the Mille as I sailed the Infinity earlier this year and enjoyed her. I hope you have a great trip also!!

Hi, J & G,

If it makes you feel any better my son will be in a tux on our sailing,and of course Mom will have to dress appropriately to keep up. Just kidding we both enjoy the formal nights. For us it is part of the cruise experience.

Thanks for all the info. We will be leaving on Nov. 27 and are so excited. I was wondering about the muster drill time as we have always sailed at 11pm.

I'm glad to hear that Captain Taramas is still captaining her; he was the Captain when we sailed Millie in Alaska last year. We had the opportunity to dine with him & it was a treat!

Do you know if Anna Duwal is still the Captains Club hostess?

We're boarding on Monday :D

I've been reading about how bad the food is on the Millennium and wondered how everyone that has recently sailed her thinks of the comments. Also can someone tell me when the formal nights are on the 10 day southern caribbean trip leaving November 27th.

Archived