11:00 a.m. Vancouver Flight?

Pusniski

I can't quite find what I'm looking for. I'm cruising aboard the Radiance OTS. Our flight is from Vancouver. The suite includes complimentary valet luggage service. Is this the same as US direct? It kind of looks like it, but I can't be sure. If so, does that mean I'd have to utilize their bus service? Either way - is a 11:00 a.m. flight doable with this set up or is self-disembark the only tried and true method?

TIA :)

Even self disembarking is not "tried and true" with this early timeframe. All you'll need is one glitch in the ship clearing, and you are going to miss your flight.

Yes, you DO have to take "their" bus, if you get US Direct, if your reference happens to be that??

This time is available to you, either with availablity or price, because most cruise passenger can NOT make this. Only ones, who are OK, with the risk are going to book. You are best to allow a 2 hour window, if you do not get US Direct. This ship also does not usually dock at Canada Place, where the Sky train to the airport is.

Just in case Budget Queen hasn't convinced you, let me add that traffic in Vancouver can be MONSTROUS, and the airport can be exceedingly busy. You need to clear Immigration/Customs in Vancouver and it can be busy, as can security.

July 1 is a national holiday in Canada, and many people will take July 2 off, so you MAY be competing with those people, too, adding to the airport and/or traffic chaos.

If you have ANY other choice, don't try for the 11 a.m. flight would be my advice!

I can't quite find what I'm looking for. I'm cruising aboard the Radiance OTS. Our flight is from Vancouver. The suite includes complimentary valet luggage service. Is this the same as US direct? It kind of looks like it, but I can't be sure. If so, does that mean I'd have to utilize their bus service? Either way - is a 11:00 a.m. flight doable with this set up or is self-disembark the only tried and true method?

I think you'd be hard pressed to do an 11am; and here's why. Valet Luggage is just going to get your luggage to the airport, what you need is USA Direct....

Normally you'd arrive, clear Canadian Customs & Immigration, go to the airport, check in, clear USA C&I; and fly home. (yes you clear USA C&I prior to boarding your plane, it's called 'pre-clearance' and it's available at major Canadian airports)

USA Direct is only available; if...

• You're heading straight back to the United States; and
  • Your cruise line offers a USA Direct transfer; and
  • Your airline supports USA Direct; and
  • Your last port of call was in the United States;

They put you on a special 'sealed' bus (like cargo held in bond), and you can skip Canadian C&I at the pier, and USA C&I at the airport; which speeds things up.

However, 11am is very tight, and wont work with USA Direct. It's well before the earliest the cruise line will allow for a Vancouver departure, so your bus will sit at the cruise terminal (and RCCL don't use the main cruise terminal in Vancouver, they use Ballantyne, or have for the past few years) for a while for people to fill it up.

That leaves you doing it yourself. Best case scenario

7:00 ship docks

7:30 people start dragging their own luggage off towards Canadian C&I

7:45 grab a cab for the airport (it's now rush hour!)

8:30 absolutely earliest you could make the airport

Given the airlines require a 2 hour checkin for transborder flights, that's all of 30 mins of wiggle room, and assumes very very very quick Canadian C&I, and cab line up (which was 30 mins last I went through Ballantyne).

Either catch a later flight, or extend your vacation an extra day or two, Vancouver is a GREAT city...

Archived