A bit of a cruise dilemma...

Aussie Aloha

Hello everyone,

I am having a bit of a cruise crisis. I have booked and paid for a cruise in April next year. I am meant to be cruising with another couple. We have separate cabins, so that is no drama but they are now saying that they financially may not be able to afford to go. I didn't realise this and have paid for my cruise in full already.

I am so excited about going and will be so disappointed not to, as it was quite an achievement to save for my first cruise. I am 30 and quite a social person, so my question is, if I braved it alone would I honestly still have fun?

I too cruised by myself when I was in my early twenties.....now that's a very long time ago...;)

All I can say is I HAD A BALL, met so many people, including others who were also alone.

If you really want to cancel you could maybe transfer that booking to another booking at a later date when your friends may be able to join you.

I would suggest though that you only pay a deposit when you book a cruise and not pay the balance until it is due. The balance is best kept in your bank account rather than the T/A's.

Whatever you do I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise.

Jillybean:)

Not sure how much help it may be, but there's a whole forum section dedicated to solo cruising, so you can see how what others experiences are: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

It'll be predominantly US cruisers, so some details will be different, but may give you an idea of whether you still want to do it or not.

Admittedly it'll be different from your plan, but depending on your reasons for the trip, you may still get a lot - or even more - out of it.

Hello everyone,

I am having a bit of a cruise crisis. I have booked and paid for a cruise in April next year. I am meant to be cruising with another couple. We have separate cabins, so that is no drama but they are now saying that they financially may not be able to afford to go. I didn't realise this and have paid for my cruise in full already.

I am so excited about going and will be so disappointed not to, as it was quite an achievement to save for my first cruise. I am 30 and quite a social person, so my question is, if I braved it alone would I honestly still have fun?

If you join your cruise critic roll call you will have a ton of new friends to join you on your cruise. Usually during the cruise they also have get togethers for singles..dont worry you will have a good time. Where are you going and on what ship?

I would definately still go. As others have said, you'll meet so many other people and they have solo get togethers quite regularly (on PD they do anyway, not sure which ship you are on). There's one big advantage to cruising alone.................you don't have to worry about pleasing your travelling companions, just do what you want when you want.

I've travelled on a cruise both ways, One with a friend, one solo. I found both ways to be easy and challenging in different ways.

Travelling solo you do need to push yourself more to get involved with things but can have more alone time which can even involve a cocktail.

Travelling with friends can be good as you have someone to share the experience with and are not always talking back home to people who have no idea what has happened.

Either Way Aussie Aloha, you are guaranteed to have a great time

Mahalo:)

(By the way, i've got my brother and sister in law travelling with me next year so it will be another different experience on a different ship):)

I would go for sure. There is plenty of opportunity to meet new people. If you eat in the dining room for breakfast and lunch they usually put you at a table with other people. They also have a meet thing on for single people or for people who are travelling alone.

I agree with rugbypopsie, join the roll call and get to know a few of the people going before you leave.

Hello everyone,

May i ask which ship your on? Either way, do it. I made life long friendships with people i met at the airport going to the ship. Everyone is in holiday mode and you will be amazed at how people welcome you in to the assorted gatherings. You will have a ball! :)

I have just booked my 3rd solo cruise!!

I have travelled to other parts of the world by myself so thought why should a cruise be any different.

It is nice that you can do what you want, when you want and not have to worry about fitting in with other peoples like or dislikes. Also as others have said if you eat in the dining room you will meet other people. Just sitting down to watch a show or at bingo everybody talks to each other.

So go and have a great holiday:)

I have just booked my 3rd solo cruise!!

I have travelled to other parts of the world by myself so thought why should a cruise be any different.

It is nice that you can do what you want, when you want and not have to worry about fitting in with other peoples like or dislikes. Also as others have said if you eat in the dining room you will meet other people. Just sitting down to watch a show or at bingo everybody talks to each other.

So go and have a great holiday:)

yes you will always meet some very nice people, different dinning mates every night if to want to.

Archived