"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

After reading CC for months before my first cruise last month I bought and packed a few items that were unnecessary; however, I found some I was very glad I brought.

1. Duct tape. Rough seas one period and I used it to tape the cabinets shut as they kept popping open and banging in the night.

2. A bathroom airfreshner that stuck to the wall

3. A small piece of rubber shelf liner for the desk top. Even with high waves, nothing rolled or slid off it, even the bottles of wine!

4. A small door magnet. Even though we found our room it was nice to tell others looking for us to just find Guinness (our cat) photo.

5 hanging clothes pins for laundry. Cound hang stuff on the shower line as wall as hook them to soap dish, towel bar, etc. Don't think you plan to do laundry. You will still have wet socks, wet swimsuit, etc.

6. An envelope of about $50 in ones. Handy for tips.

7. Pick up several of the disposible rain ponchos for about a dollar at various places-WAllY, Dollar Tree, etc. I could have sold them and made a fortune on the ship on rainy days. Much better than an umbrella as it covers all of you, and you can just toss it and not have a soaking object in your room.

Did NOT use extra power strip, hanging door thingy for stuff, umbrella

rubber shelf liner is good idea I will try next time

if you are bringing camera with rechargeable batteries, computer, iPod, kindle etc. you will need a power strip I have always used one, also remember to check the plug type and voltage on the ship as an Australian I had to pack plug adaptors for the different plugs on ships they are usually American or European type plugs

also on a HAL cruise to new Zealand we had a room with a window not a balcony and these don't have a fridge I emailed ahead and got a fridge and air-fan (just in case it was hot or stuffy ) put in the room as mum is diabetic and needed fridge for insulin but I wanted it for drinks there was no extra charge but get in early, the fridge will go under the desk and use up some room but it was necessary

not all ships have laundry check and take drip dry stuff and travel clothes line.

I took half empty packet of antibacterial wipes and wiped every thing down before I used it as I really think they do not have time to clean properly but this depends on how fussy or germ phobic you are ( I am a nurse and probably wash my hands every 5- 10 minutes at work and yes they are dry and look older than the rest of me despite hand crème)

use the antibacterial hand wash dispensers that you find every where, you would be surprised at the amount of people who don't wash their hands after using the toilet or think they don't need to use soap and just use water but also remember that alcohol does not kill the bacteria that causes noro virus (diarrhoea ) only soap and water does

if you have room take your own pillow or an old one that can be left behind especially if you are used to a foam or contour pillow, I found on HAL the suitcases fit neatly into the wardrobe haven't been on other ship line

check out the main dining room and the buffet we preferred the buffet- food much the same just prefer the informality (and food on HAL excellent) and can go any time so get to theatre early to get good seats

I did use the highlighter in the ships daily magazine

write the time you must be back on the ship on the inside of your wrist so you do not forget it remember to give yourself plenty of time to get back we were always back on board at least an hour before it sailed- take into account local traffic patterns and availability of taxis etc. if you make own arrangements the ship will not wait for you, on ship tours they will

did a mix of ships tours and own arrangements in New Zealand as had been before but in Alaska did ships tours only as not familiar with the area,

remember you will only get a small taste of a country while in port as it is about cruising not about seeing much of the area you are going to- you would need a land based tour for that:)

use the antibacterial hand wash dispensers that you find every where, you would be surprised at the amount of people who don't wash their hands after using the toilet or think they don't need to use soap and just use water but also remember that alcohol does not kill the bacteria that causes noro virus (diarrhoea ) only soap and water does

As a nurse, one would think you'd know that norovirus is caused by a virus, not a bacteria. Hence the use of the word "virus" in the name. While washing with soap-and-water is always the preferred method, sanitizing gels are useful in helping to prevent contraction of norovirus.

Perhaps what you were thinking of was C. diff. (clostridium difficile)? Alcohol-based cleaners do not kill the spores of C. diff., and therefore soap-and-water washing is the required hand hygiene when caring for a patient with a known C. diff. infection.

Just what comes to mind, in no particular order, based on the hopes and expectations I had before our first cruise:

Propping the balcony door open to enjoy the sea breeze in the cabin may not be a possibility (doors are heavy and designed to close automatically.) There may also be a safety prohibition about propping doors open, as indicated in the daily newspaper.

Star gazing may be difficult due to lights on the ship.

A quiet evening/night stroll on deck may be impossible if facing headwinds -- you will feel like you are in a hurricane.

Seasickness (or at least a queasy stomach) is possible, and many take pills ahead of time or wear a patch.

Gorgeous sunsets are not a guarantee in the Caribbean, especially if the weather is perfect.

Most (all?) balconies are not private -- there will be a divider, but it can be looked over, around, or through (between cracks), and many balconies are at least partially visible from open decks, elevators, even the bridge! Also, crew has access through balconies and may come onto balcony unannounced for maintenance.

Specialty coffees (cappuccino, latte, etc.) are most likely not going to be available in the MDR, room service breakfast, or room service at all. (This varies with ship.)

It is not a degradation or an embarrassment to sail with Carnival. It is a great cruise experience in its own way, as all cruises are!

Cruising with a "higher end" line does not make you a better person. As a matter of fact, you are more likely to meet up with snobs of various stripes on the "classier" lines.

You may never actually see your room steward, if by chance you miss him when he comes to introduce himself early in the cruise. Many have a way of doing an excellent job of meeting your needs in some invisible way!

Mandatory muster drills are mandatory.

"Adults-only" rules may not be enforced. Many other rules may not be enforced. Enforcing rules yourself will most likely be frowned upon by other pax.

Among thousands of passengers, the one passenger or couple you most want to avoid (due to some previous embarrassment) will be the one you keep bumping into throughout the entire cruise. Detouring to avoid actually meeting this person/couple whom you see approaching from afar may be a long and circuitous proposition.

It is possible to be invited to dine with the captain without being the highest level (Elite, Diamond, etc.) cruiser with that line, booking the most expensive suite, or having babysat his children in some past life. This most certainly varies with cruise line.

You will not necessarily feel you are somehow getting ripped off by using cruise line excursions rather than independent ones. You may not always be on the list for excursions your signed up for and paid for before boarding, so check with the excursions desk early in your cruise to make sure your name hasn't fallen through the cracks.

The extra-fee restaurant may not be worth it in terms of superiority of food or service. It's primary value may be that it affords an opportunity to eat without your fixed seating table mates.

Being seated at a table for two at dining room breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea or "as you like it" dinner is not a given.

Finding a quiet, comfortable corner to read, converse, or just relax is not impossible. Look for empty cocktail lounges during the day, the library or coffee shop.

The pool deck is not as romantic and desirable as one might have dreamed. Pool water may not be as warm as one might hope. Hot tubs are often small and few relative to the number of passengers desiring to use them.

Wide teak "real" outdoor promenade decks overlooking the the sea are superior to composite jogging tracks looking down over the pool deck.

The Captain's entertainment (whatever it is called) in the theater is well worth attending -- lots of fun, and there is often champagne!

Peoples' tastes differ. 'Nuff said.

So positive, Thank you :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

As a nurse, one would think you'd know that norovirus is caused by a virus, not a bacteria. Hence the use of the word "virus" in the name. While washing with soap-and-water is always the preferred method, sanitizing gels are useful in helping to prevent contraction of norovirus.

Perhaps what you were thinking of was C. diff. (clostridium difficile)? Alcohol-based cleaners do not kill the spores of C. diff., and therefore soap-and-water washing is the required hand hygiene when caring for a patient with a known C. diff. infection.

in our hospital the microbiology dept has put big posters up near all the taps clearly stating that alcohol based hand sanitizers are not effective against norovirus and c-diff

according to the American CDC website (http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/Handwashing/HandwashingTips.htm )

Noroviruses can be found in your vomit or stool even before you start feeling sick. The virus can stay in your stool for 2 weeks or more after you feel better. So, it is important to continue washing your hands often during this time.

"Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can be used in addition to hand washing. But, they should not be used as a substitute for washing with soap and water."

also "What about alcohol-based hand sanitizers?

• CDC recommends that cruise ship passengers use warm water and soap to wash their hands. Washing is always best.
  • If water and soap are NOT available (perhaps on excursions), use an ethanol alcohol-based hand sanitizer, preferably in a gel form. The sanitizer should be at least 62% ethanol"

certainly use the hand sanitiser it is better then nothing but also frequent use of soap of water :)

We just booked our first cruise for August 2014 last week. So unbelievably excited! In fact, I've actually been literally dreaming of this vacation the last two nights. It's going to be a long year!

It took three days, but I read every post on the 78 page thread! Such great advice. It's our 10th anniversary and we are bringing our two boys with us. Looking forward to an incredible experience. Thanks for all the pointers! :)

in our hospital the microbiology dept has put big posters up near all the taps clearly stating that alcohol based hand sanitizers are not effective against norovirus and c-diff

according to the American CDC website (http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/Handwashing/HandwashingTips.htm )

Noroviruses can be found in your vomit or stool even before you start feeling sick. The virus can stay in your stool for 2 weeks or more after you feel better. So, it is important to continue washing your hands often during this time.

"Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can be used in addition to hand washing. But, they should not be used as a substitute for washing with soap and water."

also "What about alcohol-based hand sanitizers?

• CDC recommends that cruise ship passengers use warm water and soap to wash their hands. Washing is always best.
  • If water and soap are NOT available (perhaps on excursions), use an ethanol alcohol-based hand sanitizer, preferably in a gel form. The sanitizer should be at least 62% ethanol"

certainly use the hand sanitiser it is better then nothing but also frequent use of soap of water :)

Thanks for repeating exactly what I already said.... :rolleyes:

After reading CC for months before my first cruise last month I bought and packed a few items that were unnecessary; however, I found some I was very glad I brought.

1. Duct tape. Rough seas one period and I used it to tape the cabinets shut as they kept popping open and banging in the night.

2. A bathroom airfreshner that stuck to the wall.

Just a caution that duct tape (and some other types of tape or sticky substances) can be very damaging to surfaces. Duct tape especially will take the finish or paint off a surface and/or leave a very distinct mark.

I had a couple questions:

1 - People mentioned pushing luggage under the bed and we did that last time. This time I have one of those huge suitcases. I wondered if it would fit under the bed and if not, what do I do with it?

2 - I saw mention of booking your next cruise before you got off your cruise. Do you save a significant amount doing it this way? Can you just do a down payment or have to pay the whole thing (we're going on RCL again).

3 - Do you prefer to bring books, use the onship library or use a Nook/Kindle? I have a Nook but worry about it getting ruined, wet or stolen. What say you?

TIA!

On Princess, you can buy a Future Cruise Credit. It costs $100, and will act as the deposit for your next cruise. It does not reduce the price of your next cruise but does lessen the amount you have to put down initially. You also get an on board credit (OBC) for use on the next cruise you book. The amount of OBC varies according to the length of the cruise you book and the category of stateroom.

I usually bring a book. When I am finished with it I trade it in at the ship's library. Most ships have a "trade a book" area where you can leave paper backs and pick up another one. I do see lots of people of iPads and such however.

Edited by Smokeyham

Over the past several weeks, I've been reading this thread little by little. I've finally made it through all 78 pages! Just wanted to extend a huge thank you to each person that has contributed to this thread. Your tips, advice, and suggestions will be such a huge help for my first cruise. On 12/16/13 my fiancé and I are setting sail on RCCL Majesty of the Seas for a 4 night Bahamas cruise. As first time cruisers, we had lots of questions, but now we feel much more prepared. Many thanks, again!! Ill be sure to share my experience once we return

I don't know about all cruise lines, but if you check RCCL's Cruise Compass (bottom left corner, if I recall) you'll see the name and phone number of the port agent for the particular port you are visiting. Oftentimes, there is also the phone number of local law enforcement.

I always make a written note of this information when I get off the ship at a port. If ever I would encounter a problem while visiting a port, I know who to reach out to for help and how to reach them.

wow, I think it has taken me 4 weeks on and off to finally get through all the posts - some fantastic ideas - thank you to all that posted

Things I am taking on board:

I am now looking for the rubber matt stuff we use in our RV to take for the desktop to stop my bottle of wine falling over - priorities, priorities (as it never fits in the fridge)

That our rolling duffles fit under any bed on any ship - so no moving to big cases

That when we don't meet the steward - which has happened lots of times - it's not only us

I don't know about all cruise lines, but if you check RCCL's Cruise Compass (bottom left corner, if I recall) you'll see the name and phone number of the port agent for the particular port you are visiting. Oftentimes, there is also the phone number of local law enforcement.

I always make a written note of this information when I get off the ship at a port. If ever I would encounter a problem while visiting a port, I know who to reach out to for help and how to reach them.

Great idea. On our last cruise to Alaska, I took a picture of that information for each port with my phone. Had it at my fingertips if needed - thankfully it was never needed. I'll do the same for our upcoming cruise to Panama.

Thank you sooooo much for reminding me to bring sunscreen....we are in winter and it has totally slipped my mind.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! :o)

I know it has been a couple of years since this was posted, but since we are at that point of the summer I thought I would share one of my favorite money saving tips:

At the end of summer sunscreen will go on clearance, pick up extra and stick it in your cruise containers (we keep a container in our closet that I use for cruise ONLY stuff). If you are cruising in the middle of winter, you won't have to pay a premium price.

I can't think of 5, but I wish I knew you could carry wine onboard! (Not a big deal, but something nonetheless)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... Please excuse punctuation, spelling, nonsensical thoughts and brevity.

Smokers, nobody has mentioned this. Bring a small portable ashtray if you want to smoke on your balcony. There is nothing provided for butts and ashes and it's not nice to leave a mess for the steward to clean up.

(Militant non-smokers: please just don't reply...we've heard it all before.)

From a mildly-militant-non-smoker: The tone of "please just don't reply...we've heard it all before" just baffles me.

If the rules say that you can smoke on your balcony, great. But, otherwise if you're going to smoke next to me...you might have heard it all before, but you're going to hear it again.

There are times and places for everything...including smoking.

Edited by StevenStephen
  • Like 1

I am a photo/scrapbooking fan so I do buy a few photos. But, only a few. I bring a 1" binder notebook with page protectors. I slip the photos or any other paper brochure, map, Fun Times that I don't want wrinkled, in the page protectors. It does not take up much room in a suite case. :cool:

We r 1st time cruisers and am wondering about tipping? I know they are included what does everyone tip extra for? I wanna make sure we do the right thing and not leave anyone out and advice/input would be great!!:)
It's handled a little differently on different lines.

if your account is charged a daily gratuity, that's all you need to pay. The tip for your room steward and dinig waiters comes out of that fee. Anything else you buy (aside from the shops) will have a 15% gratuity added on so you don't have to tip any extra there, although there's a space on the check to add more tip if you want to.

For us it varies based on the cruise and how much we think our waiters and steward have gone the extra mile. We might tip $30-50 in cash to each on the last day if we're very happy.

In addition to a cash tip, usually there's some sort of recognition program where you can fill out a card saying how your waiter or steward has provided outstanding service (the "person of the month" awards are based on these cards). In the long run the cards might do as much or more good than cash tip.

One other place where tipping might be considered is when you drop your bags off at the beginning of your trip. Generally no tip is required but we typically give the guy $5.

We r 1st time cruisers and am wondering about tipping? I know they are included what does everyone tip extra for? I wanna make sure we do the right thing and not leave anyone out and advice/input would be great!!:)

Do watch for the 15% gratuity which is already added to your drinks bill. In the States we are very used to writing in a tip at the bottom of bill, so it is easy to miss that the cruise line has already added this for you! I had a friend who did not realized until about the third day of the cruise that she was "double tipping."