"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

An amazing way to give your favorite cruise staff a small token of appreciation? Give cruise staff an international calling card to help crew keep in touch with their families at home. Such a small gift goes a long way and really shows crew staff that you care for them.

An amazing way to give your favorite cruise staff a small token of appreciation? Give cruise staff an international calling card to help crew keep in touch with their families at home. Such a small gift goes a long way and really shows crew staff that you care for them.

If you do this, do you buy them in the country where you are visiting? I assume a card bought in the USA would not work if the crew member wanted to make a call from Bermuda to Thailand?

On another thread the suggestion was made to ask crew members for the best place to buy calling cards when visiting a specific port, since they do this frequently.

nearly all the crew now uses things like Skype to keep in touch with the family back home. Calling card are of little or no value any more.

That's a great idea, if you don't have a scanner, you could take pics with your cell phone also.

Just remember that emails are like postcards. Better to encrypt your email or save everything on a flash drive.

Later in Life,

Mark

MY TOP TIP for travel

(wish I learned a long time ago)

One Thing I learned along time ago is to scan your Passport and travel Docs, credit cards both sides, and all other important info like boarding pass, travel insurance etc.

Send the scanned images to your email.

We used to photocopy it all, but what happens if you lose all luggage and or wallet then all info is gone, but we all HAVE EMAIL and can access it anywhere.

happy travels, Nat :D

Great idea...leaving copies with son at home to, just incase.

That is a beautiful idea. Most of them are grossly underpaid, and probably sending most of their income to the folks back home.

That is a beautiful idea. Most of them are grossly underpaid, and probably sending most of their income to the folks back home.

A really nice idea, but I believe you would need to purchase the cards in the country where they will be used in order for them to usable. If this is not the case, can someone let me know? It would be nice to be able to purchase cards in advance in one's home country.

It used to be that you could buy prepaid calling cards in the US that could be used in a foreign country for calling to the US or any other country. I haven't used such a calling card in many years so I don't know the status ioof these cards today.

I disagree. Since many crew members Skype their families from free WiFi places in port, I think they'd appreciate more being given the cash you would have paid for the card instead.

Definitely

I never meant giving a calling card in lieu of cash. And again, just because you see crew members scrambling to use free wi-fi at port for Skyping with family, doesn't mean all the crew can use Skype. Consider the infrastructure needed to even have Internet access in certain developing countries, much less be able to afford to have the electronic equipment to even use Skype. Calling home seems a simpler and faster communication alternative to Skype, hence the calling card.

I never meant giving a calling card in lieu of cash. And again, just because you see crew members scrambling to use free wi-fi at port for Skyping with family, doesn't mean all the crew can use Skype. Consider the infrastructure needed to even have Internet access in certain developing countries, much less be able to afford to have the electronic equipment to even use Skype. Calling home seems a simpler and faster communication alternative to Skype, hence the calling card.

You do what you want to do. If it makes you feel good to give them a calling card, go for it. Maybe they can sell it for a couple of dollars if they have no use for it.

Thanks for all the great info for first-time cruisers. These tips are really helpful. I feel like I won't be stressed out - just excited.

I have a question about the main dining room on the Carnival Glory. Will I be able to ask for certain foods to be made sauce free and without salt?

I also have some difficulty walking/standing for extended periods of time because of a knee injury - any suggestions for excursions? We're doing the Eastern Canada trip out of Manhattan in September.

Thanks for all the great info for first-time cruisers. These tips are really helpful. I feel like I won't be stressed out - just excited.

I have a question about the main dining room on the Carnival Glory. Will I be able to ask for certain foods to be made sauce free and without salt?

I also have some difficulty walking/standing for extended periods of time because of a knee injury - any suggestions for excursions? We're doing the Eastern Canada trip out of Manhattan in September.

Never cruised on Carnival , but you can certainly talk to the maitre'd and see what he suggest for you to do about no salt/sauces.

As for excursions, what about one of those small folding tri-pod stools sold for sporting event. At least with his you could sit for short periods of time. Perhaps wear a knee brace when walking.

Never cruised on Carnival , but you can certainly talk to the maitre'd and see what he suggest for you to do about no salt/sauces.

As for excursions, what about one of those small folding tri-pod stools sold for sporting event. At least with his you could sit for short periods of time. Perhaps wear a knee brace when walking.

check excursions marked EASY or HANDICAPPED These will be the best for you right now

about sauces, tell your dining staff and you can usually preorder the night before so that your meal will be ready in advance. It hel[s them to know the day before --- and you get a preview of the menu

Just finished reading every single post on this thread--took four days! I am a first time cruiser going in October and I can't believe what a wealth of information is on here! Thank you to everyone who took the time to post and share their knowledge. I am an information junkie!!

I am heading out for my first cruise ever to Alaska next week. These CC boards have been wonderful and full of information. I am a bit of a gadget/techie girl an I am really going to try hard to go "off the grid" while on this cruise. The one thing I did breakdown and get are good Walkie Talkies. The are three of us traveling, but if we get separate in port, then we can use them. I can also use it to ask my sister to go get me a drink.... lol:

This thread has been so helpful! I'm going on my second cruise, but it will be the first with my hubby of 25 years. Last one was with my mom & a friend. I feel like a newbie though because I did not know most of these tips you all posted. I'm amazed we made it thru without incident!

My tips:

1 - Feel free to move away from the crowds. We went on Freedom of the Seas western cruise and my favorite place and experience was in Cozumel. Instead of waiting in the line with hundreds of people waiting for taxis to go to the very same crowded beach, we rented a car. It wasn't too bad between the three of us, and we got to drive around the other side of the island when it was basically deserted, watch the waves come in on the rocky beaches, eat at a little taco stand, see and shop at stalls with real handmade items, see a lighthouse and so much more. Loved it. Plan to do it again.

2 - One of our fav things was going to the shuffleboard deck. No one was there, except a few smokers. I loved sitting there reading a book in peace with the wind off the ocean for company.

3 - We tried to catch every sunset.

I had a couple questions:

1 - People mentioned pushing luggage under the bed and we did that last time. This time I have one of those huge suitcases. I wondered if it would fit under the bed and if not, what do I do with it?

2 - I saw mention of booking your next cruise before you got off your cruise. Do you save a significant amount doing it this way? Can you just do a down payment or have to pay the whole thing (we're going on RCL again).

3 - Do you prefer to bring books, use the onship library or use a Nook/Kindle? I have a Nook but worry about it getting ruined, wet or stolen. What say you?

TIA!

I am heading out for my first cruise ever to Alaska next week. These CC boards have been wonderful and full of information. I am a bit of a gadget/techie girl an I am really going to try hard to go "off the grid" while on this cruise. The one thing I did breakdown and get are good Walkie Talkies. The are three of us traveling, but if we get separate in port, then we can use them. I can also use it to ask my sister to go get me a drink.... lol:

Before you use them in non-US ports, you need to be sure they are legal. Each country sets their own rules for usable frequencies.

This thread has been so helpful! I'm going on my second cruise, but it will be the first with my hubby of 25 years. Last one was with my mom & a friend. I feel like a newbie though because I did not know most of these tips you all posted. I'm amazed we made it thru without incident!

My tips:

1 - Feel free to move away from the crowds. We went on Freedom of the Seas western cruise and my favorite place and experience was in Cozumel. Instead of waiting in the line with hundreds of people waiting for taxis to go to the very same crowded beach, we rented a car. It wasn't too bad between the three of us, and we got to drive around the other side of the island when it was basically deserted, watch the waves come in on the rocky beaches, eat at a little taco stand, see and shop at stalls with real handmade items, see a lighthouse and so much more. Loved it. Plan to do it again.

2 - One of our fav things was going to the shuffleboard deck. No one was there, except a few smokers. I loved sitting there reading a book in peace with the wind off the ocean for company.

3 - We tried to catch every sunset.

1 - People mentioned pushing luggage under the bed and we did that last time. This time I have one of those huge suitcases. I wondered if it would fit under the bed and if not, what do I do with it?

2 - I saw mention of booking your next cruise before you got off your cruise. Do you save a significant amount doing it this way? Can you just do a down payment or have to pay the whole thing (we're going on RCL again).

3 - Do you prefer to bring books, use the onship library or use a Nook/Kindle? I have a Nook but worry about it getting ruined, wet or stolen. What say you?

TIA!

If it doesn't fit under the bed, you might stand it up and make an extra bed side table. Your cabin attendant can store it for you. Just be sure there is nothing in it you might need. 2 - I saw mention of booking your next cruise before you got off your cruise. Do you save a significant amount doing it this way? Can you just do a down payment or have to pay the whole thing (we're going on RCL again).

Don't feel pressured to book your next cruise. The savings are not that much and I have had an experience where I move one of those bookings out of their system. So if you do book it and see something else you can change the booking. – 3. Do you prefer to bring books, use the onship library or use a Nook/Kindle? I have a Nook but worry about it getting ruined, wet or stolen. What say you?

I use an IPad and carry it with me not laying it around, but have my name and contact infor on the outside if an honest person finds it.

I usually take a book, read it on board, then take to the library and "donate" it by putting it on the library shelf for someone else to read. Sort of pay it forward.

On RCL I always buy a next cruise with an open date. It is good forever and guarantees me so on board credit when I sail again. On Carnival, I only buy it when I am quite sure that I will sail with them again in the next year or two because their certificate is only good for 3 years. Either can be cancelled and your deposit will be returned. Both give OBC.

Oversized suitcases are a pain (in my opinion). I would rather take 2 regular sized and keep them under the bed. I keep snorkeling equipment and beach day stuff in one and use the other as a dirty laundry hamper.

On RCL I always buy a next cruise with an open date. It is good forever and guarantees me so on board credit when I sail again. On Carnival, I only buy it when I am quite sure that I will sail with them again in the next year or two because their certificate is only good for 3 years. Either can be cancelled and your deposit will be returned. Both give OBC.

And its cheaper to do this? I guess if I find a better price later on I can cancel the one I bought? Can you book and do payments or do you have to pay the full price right on the cruise? Just curious how much moola to bring/have available on my cards.

Oversized suitcases are a pain (in my opinion). I would rather take 2 regular sized and keep them under the bed. I keep snorkeling equipment and beach day stuff in one and use the other as a dirty laundry hamper.

Figures! lol I just bought a NEW one at a garage sale. At least I didn't pay too much.

#1 Don't buy the photo's they are very pricey and tend to wrinkle on the way home.

# 2 Take wine to drink in your cabin , you can bring 2 bottles of wine on board at every stop . Average mixed drink costs $ 7.50 . Beer $ 6.00.

# 3 Rent the formal ware from the ship saves a lot of weight and worry.

# 4 Use public transit at the ports , so much cheaper.

# 5 Stick to 1 cruise line , perks add up fast for frequentcruisers.Freedrinks , free laundry , free internet , free spa,s .

# 6 If you can do it, don't take a lap top Internet cafe's available at most ports,there are computers on board ( Air time is 56 - 65 cents a minute and very slowwwwwwwwwww average e mail can cost $ 4- 5) not worth it !

Hi - thanks for the tips - I Wonder if this 2 bottles per stop goes for all cruise lines? Do you know?

Hi - thanks for the tips - I Wonder if this 2 bottles per stop goes for all cruise lines? Do you know?

The policy varies by cruise line, as does how strictly the enforce the policy. I would recommend checking your cruise contract, and also checking on the CruiseCritic board for your line.